Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-01-2013, 11:16 AM   #76
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Regarding color on eink devices, it depends. Yes, novels don't need that, but some IT books do, same for comics; the graphics use colors and when reading in back and white you lose important information. Those are books as well and also the reason why some people chose iPads instead.
And don't forget magazines - a far larger publishing sector than books. A large-format colour device is almost mandatory for reading magazines.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #77
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
And don't forget magazines - a far larger publishing sector than books. A large-format colour device is almost mandatory for reading magazines.
This is where large tablets like the 9-10" iPads, Kindles, and Nooks come in handy. I was hoping B&N would slash $50 off the 9" HD+ so I could get one for magazines. Instead, they only slashed the price of the 7" HD; which doesn't interest me in the least.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:51 AM   #78
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
True!
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:29 PM   #79
freewheeling
Nameless Being

I'm still seeing it for $169.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:46 PM   #80
freewheeling
Nameless Being

As for whether tablets will replace eInk devices my guess is that the screens for tablets will improve to the point that battery life challenges eInk, or eInk Color will improve so much that tablets switch to that. My problem with most tablets is that I don't like the form factor but there will probably always be a book-like form factor.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:13 AM   #81
freewheeling
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by markom View Post
Yes, there is much better software called kindlepdfviewer.

It takes a few minutes to install it (after you get all the necessary files and learn relatively simple three step procedure) and once installed, it takes a few seconds to get to kindle's native pdf reader and back to kindlepdfviewer.

Not only is kindlepdfviewer much better pdf reader with all necessary zooming options, gamma corection, pdf underscoring, reflow of scanned pdfs, night mode etc. but it also reads epub, djvu, cbz and allows for folders and subfolders.

Reading A4 document in landscape mode with fit-to-document-content-width will even make the letters appear slightly bigger than on the A4 paper, because it spreads document completely across the whole screen unlike kindle's native pdf reader which shows 1/5 inch margins.

I read a lot of djvu books, and if I want to read it on iPad 1 using free apps it is impossible if djvu is big and complex one (e.g. scanned big encyclopedia), so I usually convert them to pdf for iPad but read them as djvu on kindle dx without any problem.

Since it reads cbz comic files (not cbr), you should take a minute to convert cbr comic to cbz beforehand.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=157047
I tried this software and I can see it has some utility, but the main thing I'm looking for is the ability to annotate PDF documents. The native PDF reader is fine but without the ability to annotate it's basically useless to me. I noticed that someone has come up with a way to update the firmware to 3.1 but apparently I'd have to also own a Kindle 3 to do it, and it's just getting too crazy. I may know someone who has a Kindle 3 that I could use, but... I don't know that I know them, if you know what I mean?

Simplest thing is probably to just return this and go back to using my tablet. Moonreader+ Pro seems to work great. If they just made firmware for the DXG I'd be all set.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:14 AM   #82
ThomasC
Thunder Down Under
ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle dxg, K3, K4nt, iPhone
Now back up to $199. Still the best e-book reader out there imho.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:21 AM   #83
fearindex
Addict
fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
Now back up to $199. Still the best e-book reader out there imho.
It seems like $199 is the new permanent price. Previously it was $239 and the new price was shown alongside it. Now there is just $199. I'm expecting Kindle DX to be sold out (with no more coming) within months. Just a hunch, but the constant sales, the super low price of its official leather cover and the sheer age of the product (basically a Kindle 2) suggest end is near. Of course there may still be a few more sales before that to keep that remaining stock fluid.

A good question is, will it actually be all over for big-screen Kindles then, or will the new E-ink Fina screen (already used on an e-ink tablet of sorts by another manufacturer) find itself into a new large Kindle upon the expected H1/2014 Kindle refresh...

Anyway, picked a, was it $179, Kindle DX from a past sale and have not regretted it. Great piece of Kindle history. And at $9.99, the normally $49.99 official leather cover was a steal too.
fearindex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:29 AM   #84
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
And don't forget magazines - a far larger publishing sector than books. A large-format colour device is almost mandatory for reading magazines
To read magazines/comics etc, you need larger device in color. (whether it's a tablet or color e-ink it doesn't matter). To read fiction you don't.
Smaller b/w 5 inch, 6 inch devices will always be more comfortable to read novels from, then some bigger device.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:27 AM   #85
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
To read magazines/comics etc, you need larger device in color. (whether it's a tablet or color e-ink it doesn't matter). To read fiction you don't.
Yes, that's precisely the point that I was making.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:59 AM   #86
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, that's precisely the point that I was making.
and the point I was making is that such devices will never replace smaller b/w e-ink readers for fiction.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #87
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes, again I agree with you. What is it we're arguing about?
Old 12-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #88
Geralt
Witcher

Quote:
Yes, again I agree with you. What is it we're arguing about?
Well basically you told me I can never say never, and I like saying never, so I was defending my right to saying never. Clear?
Old 12-08-2013, 11:22 AM   #89
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
Well basically you told me I can never say never, and I like saying never, so I was defending my right to saying never. Clear?
What I was saying is that it's unwise to say that B&W eInk devices will "never" be replaced. Sooner or later a colour technology will come along which will replace B&W eInk.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #90
Geralt
Witcher

Quote:
What I was saying is that it's unwise to say that B&W eInk devices will "never" be replaced. Sooner or later a colour technology will come along which will replace B&W eInk.
In my defense I said "never be fully replaced". I wasn't being absolute about it.

I'm pretty sure for example amazon will always have some basic b/w model for people who read not so much and who don't want to spend a lot of money on a platform if they read 10 books a year.

Tags
kindle dx 2