Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-14-2013, 03:34 PM   #661
Artus
Artus began at the beginning.

Device: none
I just found the book after running a few more searches:

It is called Tainted Evidence by Robert Daley.
Artus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:08 AM   #662
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I remember reading a Science Fiction novel many years back in which stars were intelligent. Does anyone have the title and or author's name?
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:11 AM   #663
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I remember reading a Science Fiction novel many years back in which stars were intelligent. Does anyone have the title and or author's name?
Apache
Could it be the Chaos Chronicles series by Carver?

http://www.amazon.com/Sunborn-Chaos-...7248225&sr=1-5

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:21 AM   #664
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Apache
'Whipping Star' by Frank Herbert?
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:37 PM   #665
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Could it be the Chaos Chronicles series by Carver?

http://www.amazon.com/Sunborn-Chaos-...7248225&sr=1-5

BOb
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
'Whipping Star' by Frank Herbert?
It is not either although I have read Whipping Star.
Apache
Old 04-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #666
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Apache
Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space Universe?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:47 PM   #667
Apache
Readaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space Universe?
Nope. To new. This was in the 1970's or 1980's era if my memory has not given out.
From what I remember the tsars were intelligent, fed up with humanity and about to rectify the situation.
Apache
Old 04-29-2013, 03:49 PM   #668
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Nope. To new. This was in the 1970's or 1980's era if my memory has not given out.
From what I remember the tsars were intelligent, fed up with humanity and about to rectify the situation.
Apache
But then came Lenin.

Sorry...
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:57 PM   #669
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
It is not either although I have read Whipping Star.
Apache
Two others that occured to me:

Olaf Stapledon's classic 'Star Maker'

'If the Stars Are Gods' by Gregory Benford & Gordon Eklund.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:10 PM   #670
Apache
Readaholic

Not the ones I am remembering either.
Thank you all of you for looking.
Apache
Old 05-04-2013, 04:54 PM   #671
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Science Fiction: Read it in the 80s. A man discovers an alien conspiracy to conquer Earth, fights it, is captured and turned into a tank that fights wars on a moon and then rebels and organizes the other 'tanks' to fight against and defeat the evil aliens.

I thought it was A E Van Vogt, but I can't find it.

Edit: I think it's A Plague of Demons by Keith Laumer.

Last edited by Rizla; 05-04-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:18 AM   #672
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Edit: I think it's A Plague of Demons by Keith Laumer.
It is. I just read that one a few weeks ago.
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:59 PM   #673
ClareK
Connoisseur
ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Laser
Short story about a magician who can make people disappear

This story I am looking for was in a short story collection which I read at school, many years ago. At dinner in a small hotel or guesthouse, the guests start telling each other stories. One guest claims he can make someone vanish so that every trace of them is erased, and no-one will remember them. He is reluctant to demonstrate his skill, but eventually he is persuaded. The other guests laugh at him because apparently his trick hasn't worked, but it becomes clear to the reader that one of the characters has disappeared.

I have come across other people searching for the same story, but so far without success. It would be wonderful if someone from this forum remembers the story and, better still, knows who wrote it!
ClareK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:45 AM   #674
ClareK
Connoisseur
ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Laser
I have just found the information I was looking for - the short story is "Exit" by Harry Farjeon, in case anyone else is interested.
ClareK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:33 PM   #675
sleven
sleven might easily be mistaken for a Texansleven might easily be mistaken for a Texansleven might easily be mistaken for a Texansleven might easily be mistaken for a Texansleven might easily be mistaken for a Texansleven might easily be mistaken for a Texansleven might easily be mistaken for a Texansleven might easily be mistaken for a Texansleven might easily be mistaken for a Texansleven might easily be mistaken for a Texansleven might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle
Can't find this book

Sorry wrong post.

Last edited by sleven; 05-17-2013 at 05:45 AM.
sleven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children's books, christie, forgotten title, four just men, mystery stories, teen sleuths