Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 02-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #16
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Way too expensive. Sony apparently haven't yet learnt from past mistakes.
I'm not sure they even make it anymore. It's no longer available on their website.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #17
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Way too expensive. Sony apparently haven't yet learnt from past mistakes.
I agree... especially since they don't support removable media. If it did, then they appear to be a better deal than the Galaxy players.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:38 PM   #18
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Does anyone still have any Sony ?minidisc devices rattling around in a junk drawer somewhere?

Seems like I do.
):

Speaking of the "dead."

http://gizmodo.com/5980785/sony-mini...s-finally-dead

Last edited by frahse; 02-22-2013 at 05:42 PM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:47 PM   #19
Tabatha
Groupie
Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KTouch-PW-WIFI Galaxy Tablet 7 Plus 32gb Galaxy Player 5.0-4.2
Apparently ALL the Samsung Galaxy Players have been discontinued, per thread on anythingbutipods.
Tabatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:35 PM   #20
alphysudaria143
alphysudaria143 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alphysudaria143 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alphysudaria143 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alphysudaria143 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alphysudaria143 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alphysudaria143 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alphysudaria143 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alphysudaria143 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alphysudaria143 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alphysudaria143 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alphysudaria143 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultBoy View Post
Maybe having a fresh out of the box device is better for this gentleman.
Yah. I agree with you dude
alphysudaria143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:25 PM   #21
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Is tomorrow the day that Samsung shows us its new Galaxy Players?
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:11 PM   #22
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Is tomorrow the day that Samsung shows us its new Galaxy Players?
Probably not, tomorrow's the S4^H^H S IV day. Have to be careful how you spell it...
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:01 AM   #23
Tabatha
Groupie
Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KTouch-PW-WIFI Galaxy Tablet 7 Plus 32gb Galaxy Player 5.0-4.2
Appears to be 'End of Life' for most mp3 players due to all the Smartphones. Now have to google how to get around carrier activation to be able to use as WIFI only device.
Tabatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:11 AM   #24
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabatha View Post
Appears to be 'End of Life' for most mp3 players due to all the Smartphones. Now have to google how to get around carrier activation to be able to use as WIFI only device.
Get a Nexus 4. It's sold unlocked, so activation is irrelevant. Compared to other unlocked phones, it's a steal at less than half the price ($299 & $349). Unfortunately, it doesn't have a card slot and not much storage (8GB & 16GB). When Google get's around to doubling the storage for the same or lower prices, I'll consider getting a 32GB version to replace my Galaxy Player 4.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:35 PM   #25
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabatha View Post
There are factory unlocked phones available. No need for carrier activation or even have a SIM card installed on those. Just so happens very few people in the US are willing to pay full price for smartphones when they're used to getting them "free" or "heavily discounted" on contract (which normally costs $1500 minimum over a 2-year period).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Get a Nexus 4. It's sold unlocked, so activation is irrelevant. Compared to other unlocked phones, it's a steal at less than half the price ($299 & $349). Unfortunately, it doesn't have a card slot and not much storage (8GB & 16GB). When Google get's around to doubling the storage for the same or lower prices, I'll consider getting a 32GB version to replace my Galaxy Player 4.
I got a factory unlocked Sony Xperia Acro S for $299 on sale at Buy.com. Performance isn't quite at the level of the Nexus 4 (it's comparable with the Galaxy Nexus) but it's water resistant and has a microSD card slot.

Seriously though, smartphone prices are artificially inflated because of carrier subsidy. Back when the iPhone was first released, Apple lowered the price on the 8GB model from $599 to $399 and dropped the 4GB model just a few months after release. Since they moved to a subsidy model, they've been able to inflate their phone prices. Nowadays, lowest off-contract price for a latest gen iPhone is $649 with the most expensive model at $849.

*sigh* If only T-Mobile had better coverage, I'd move to them. Really, carriers need to follow T-Mobile's lead and separate the phone price from the actual service. As it is, current service plan pricing on traditional carriers is built on a 2-year upgrade cycle so you kinda lose out if you don't upgrade your phone every 2 years.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #26
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I'd hate to see the smart mp3 players go. My Samsung Galaxy Player gets twice the battery life of my Note. I love both devices, but use them for different things.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #27
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
I'd hate to see the smart mp3 players go. My Samsung Galaxy Player gets twice the battery life of my Note. I love both devices, but use them for different things.
Turn on airplane mode and you'll get a significant battery life boost.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:38 PM   #28
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Turn on airplane mode and you'll get a significant battery life boost.
I rarely use the Note as a phone, it is always in airplane mode!
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:08 AM   #29
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
new Samsung players on market before summer
for beach for vacation for travel

Samsung will compete with Apple iPod touch
iPod improved so Samsung will catch up
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:26 AM   #30
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsooth View Post
new Samsung players on market before summer
for beach for vacation for travel

Samsung will compete with Apple iPod touch
iPod improved so Samsung will catch up
Do you have any corroboration? I see the player market as a niche nowadays, with dwindling sales. I'm not certain Samsung or anybody else would want to spend too much R&D on those.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote