Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #106
lionelsnod
lionelsnod began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Just finished the book. I loved it. Ending was great! This is my favorite Stephen King since Salem's Lot! Well done
lionelsnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:35 PM   #107
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/11-2...=9781451627305

For those of you that haven't read it yet, 11/22/63 is $4 on B&N right now. Quite a deal as it's 700 pages and, in my opinion, one of King's best.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:47 PM   #108
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Thanks! Same price on Amazon for those interested.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:54 PM   #109
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Based on all of the positive reviews and the fact that it is now only $4, I just bought it and will start reading it in January.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:31 AM   #110
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I really enjoyed the book as well. It was an interesting read. Did anyone know Jonathan Demme was going to make a film adaptation of the novel? But because he and Stephen King (working as executive producer) argued over what to include in the script that Demme decided to call it quits.

Another thing, in the below link it says that Jake Epping meets Elvis Presley. I don't recall the main character meeting Elvis. Anyone recall Elvis being in the book??

http://coronacomingattractions.com/n...mme-and-112263
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:52 PM   #111
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
Another thing, in the below link it says that Jake Epping meets Elvis Presley. I don't recall the main character meeting Elvis. Anyone recall Elvis being in the book??

http://coronacomingattractions.com/n...mme-and-112263
No, Jake does not meet Elvis. However, Elvis is mentioned twice in Chapter 2.
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:44 PM   #112
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by yekim54 View Post
No, Jake does not meet Elvis. However, Elvis is mentioned twice in Chapter 2.
Yes, that's what I thought. Thanks for replying.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:25 AM   #113
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
I am currently reading Under The Dome. I am loving it. Stephen King seems to be the only old favourite that has stood the test of time with me. Ever other old favourite author has me pulling my hair out. A 10 year plus gap in reading makes a huge difference in taste. I just do not have the patience for endless prattle. Stephen King may not be a great writer. But I do not think he has ever pretended to be. He is a great story teller, and yes I know he will wrap up and end this book as he does all his books badly. But I will suck that up. My frustration at the moment is NOT being able to get the time to finish it. Way to much Christmas.
After ALL that prattle I forgot to say 11/22/63 is next on my TBR list

applesauce

Last edited by applesauce; 12-23-2012 at 02:27 AM.
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:49 AM   #114
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
I really liked The Dome as well. My SO thought the end was a letdown but I didn't. I read the story as allegory of aspects of life today - e.g. global warming, life under a totalitarian regime.

Spoiler:
I think the "alien" is supposed to be us, the audiences. The "alien" remarks that that this isn't real in the same way the reader says this is just a story.

I liked 11/22/63 as well but I think I may like The Dome more. 11/22/63, as with many of King's latest works, deals with themes of love.

To me, in these works, King isn't so much a genre writer as he is a literary writer using horror or science fiction elements as a tool to explore the human condition. As such, I think he is a very good writer, one I enjoy very much.

Last edited by llcj; 12-23-2012 at 11:01 AM.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:22 PM   #115
tarzanphan60
Enthusiast
tarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Nook Color, Tablet, HD, HD+
I was thrilled to grab this up on sale this week at Amazon. Think it might be good reading on Christmas Day.
tarzanphan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:24 PM   #116
HoopyFrood
Zealot
HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cruz e-reader, 2 Kindles and a Kindle DX, Sanza Clip
I liked "11/22/63", especially after giving up on "Under the Dome", which I thought was exceedingly tedious. I almost didn't try "11/22/63" because of that, but it was all by itself on the library shelf so I gave it a try. I'm glad I did as it was worth a read, not one of his best by any means, but not too bad.
HoopyFrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:06 AM   #117
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I think you almost have to think of King as two or even three different authors. If he does straight horror and terror, he's great at it, if he does themes of love and human condition, he's great at it, but uses horror as a means to an end, which I think muddies the way people think of the story. You've got to separate the "how" he tells the story from the true story itself. At least in my opinion. The only real stinker I've ever read by him was Lisey's Story.

11/22/63 is one of such books. It's my favorite King book, hands down. And with the exception of Enders Game, the best ending of any book I've read.

But then again, his best books to me are ones that aren't even horror. The Green Mile, Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption, The Body, Eyes of the Dragon
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote