Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #21286
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I've spent some time hoping for that alternative that we never talk about hoping for. So you wouldn't be the only one to not quite hope for that. In my case, I've finally gotten his mortgage off MY name and credit report (by dint of going $30,000 in the red to sell the place). But at least I'm feeling fiscally more relaxed.

Yes -- use us as your shoulder to lean (cry) on, when you need to.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:15 PM   #21287
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
I've spent some time hoping for that alternative that we never talk about hoping for. So you wouldn't be the only one to not quite hope for that. In my case, I've finally gotten his mortgage off MY name and credit report (by dint of going $30,000 in the red to sell the place). But at least I'm feeling fiscally more relaxed.

Yes -- use us as your shoulder to lean (cry) on, when you need to.
that which should not be spoken has been constantly in my mind
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:27 AM   #21288
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I'm stuck
in a relationship
that I have been trying to get out of for fifteen years
and now he has cancer
and I feel REALLY stuck
I'm sorry for the situation you're in KK, as others have said: feel free to vent, rant and unburden you feelings here, that's what we and this forum are here for.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:39 AM   #21289
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
I'm stuck
in a relationship
and now he has cancer
and I feel REALLY stuck
That's a horrible situation to be in. In the end, though, you need to do what is right for you. And if that means making the hard decisions, so be it. I was in a situation that went on far too long - I stayed because of threatened suicide, and one attempt, but ultimately made the break and it was the best thing for both of us.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:58 AM   #21290
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
Finally got a response from the courier company thanking me for my feedback and saying they have passed it on to the relevant department who will contact me to resolve it. No time frame, nothing, zilch, about when I will get my delivery.

Looking unlikely, very unlikely, it will arrive in time for my Mum's birthday. But have backup, Amazon have the devices in stock and will deliver by tomorrow morning and if the package isn't on the van for delivery today - will know is six mins - then I will order another iPod (luckily I have the funds to swing this) so I can give her it on her birthday.

As for the original iPod , well she is giving me an new iPod for Xmas so I will sell her the original one when it finally turns up. Sound weird even for me, to sell my Mum her own birthday pressie ... could only happen to me.
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:33 AM   #21291
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Got reply from TNT saying they had talked to their driver and he said he attempted delivery at 6.13 pm and no-one was home. I sent an email back saying 3 adults were home, 2 (myself included) in our living-room in front of our large windows. Blinds open and the only entrance to our home totally visible and no vehicle pulled up and we saw no sign of any delivery driver or his vehicle for that matter. Also with three adults home I can't see how none of us saw or heard him.

I now think I'll have to wait till Friday (if I'm lucky) for redelivery. They asked what day I would like them to attempt redelivery. I said I wanted it as soon as possible but know I probably have to wait till Friday now.

Strangely enough the tracker saying that he attempted delivery stated the location as Edinburgh (the depot) and I live 35 miles away from the depot and only if he drove in an absolute straight line. Driving distance is around the 42 miles area.

Last edited by lioslaith; 10-18-2012 at 06:36 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:16 AM   #21292
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
I'm stuck
in a relationship
and now he has cancer
and I feel REALLY stuck
Sending healing vibes. Wish I could do more.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:04 AM   #21293
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lioslaith View Post
. . . . .

Strangely enough the tracker saying that he attempted delivery stated the location as Edinburgh (the depot) and I live 35 miles away from the depot and only if he drove in an absolute straight line. Driving distance is around the 42 miles area.
There's your answer mate. He went to the wrong address. Happens all the time for me. We have a Road and a Place both with the same names in my town. When a giant truck tried to deliver a huge kitchen it took a lot of persuasion to stop him. Finally I said to just put it in the front yard and you can come back and pick it up tomorrow when the installers are scratching their heads asking where it is.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:53 AM   #21294
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
aha!

I guy we know sometimes gets pizza for other peeps because their street name has an 'r' in it and another house 5 k's away does not. The names sounds the same when you say it.

Balyarta vs. Balyata
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:50 AM   #21295
lioslaith
Zealot

My Mum's birthday pressie finally turned up just after 9 am. The driver said he had six important deliveries myself included to get done first thing. He also said that he was at the Edinburgh depot on Wednesday and all vans/vehicles were back in by six pm so it was impossible for a driver to at my door at 6.13 pm trying to deliver the iPod. Also apparently the Apple orders have to be scanned in and out via thumb-prints from the depot and a close watch is kept on where they are at all times.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:07 AM   #21296
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
When they installed GPS in some courier vans over here they discovered that a lot of stuff being delivered late was in the back of a one guy's van while he was surfing.

On another note, I got an email yesterday to say my tail light lens had been posted. This morning I got another saying it was on board for delivery. While at the shop I got another saying it had been delivered. Sure enough, when I got back to work it was sitting on my desk. Thumbs up for Australia Post for a change.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:19 AM   #21297
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
When they installed GPS in some courier vans over here they discovered that a lot of stuff being delivered late was in the back of a one guy's van while he was surfing.
Most delivery drivers here actually RUN from their trucks to the houses and run back. That's normal (for Japan.) The mail carriers all drive motor scooters. I wouldn't take that job for all the tea in China! (Or Japan!) I know that UPS drivers are told to knock on the door to save time hunting for a doorbell, but I'd never seen any of 'em run in the US!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:27 PM   #21298
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Therefore Japanese delivery drivers are much skinnier than US delivery drivers.

SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:28 PM   #21299
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Most delivery drivers here actually RUN from their trucks to the houses and run back. That's normal (for Japan.) The mail carriers all drive motor scooters. I wouldn't take that job for all the tea in China! (Or Japan!) I know that UPS drivers are told to knock on the door to save time hunting for a doorbell, but I'd never seen any of 'em run in the US!

Stitchawl
I see UPS guys running here quite often!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:50 PM   #21300
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
I see UPS guys running here quite often!
Yep, my regular UPS guy sprints to my door and back. The most impressive time I saw him do that was when he picked up a bulky 75 lb wheelchair ramp that I was returning and trotted with it back to the truck!
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness