Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which book is going to make me afraid of the dark in October 2012?
Carmilla by J. Sheridan LeFanu 20 60.61%
Grave Robbers Wanted (No Experience Necessary) by Jeff Strand 13 39.39%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-04-2012, 12:31 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
That's way too much work for Tom. Since we're all big girls and boys, I suggest we all do it for ourselves. I agree that Inkmesh is broken and misleading and not worth the nuisance.
That would work as well.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:11 PM   #17
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The only argument in favor of keeping Inkmesh seems to be that it's the only game in town. Is the any other website that does what they do, however imperfectly?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:21 PM   #18
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just found and added to the 1st post an eBooks.com secure PDF link for Grave Robbers Wanted (No Experience Necessary) by Jeff Strand.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:27 PM   #19
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
I say just let everyone search for themselves.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #20
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Even Google Books appears to be less than satisfactory as a one-stop for all ebooks shop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grave Robbers.PNG
Views:	325
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	93393  
Old 10-04-2012, 01:34 PM   #21
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
...It's hard enough some months just keeping up with the nominations. I certainly don't have time to track down everywhere the books can are sold.

Alternately, I could leave off links altogether and let everyone do their own searches for books of interest to them.
I understand that...checking often to update new nominations, and then taking the time each time to add in the new ones, and format it right, and then the post you're constantly editing becomes a big, unwieldy mass of formatting that you're constantly scrolling up and down through to find the pertinent parts at the moment (if only we had a wysiwyg editor that enclosed spoilers while editing!). And the ones I deal with have no links and are usually less numerous and simpler than yours!

As to the links, I'm fine either way. I do sometimes click on your inkmesh or store links as a starting point for a selection, and definitely your mr library links for the free books, but it would only take me a second more to just go to a site myself and input the title. With it sounding like inkmesh, the go-to catch-all link, is on the fritz and only getting worse, and no comparable alternative, and considering the time it takes you, I'd be fine with only adding links if posters supply you with them, on just doing without links altogether, if it makes it easier for you.

I will add that I do think inkmesh still seems like an alright site to me - it may get facts wrong, but you always find that out as you click through to the actual sites. One advantage it still has as a link here is that anyone interested can still do quick searches easier, just clicking inkmesh, then clicking the stores from there, and so despite its worsening flaws it's still the only real catch-all link option available. Perhaps you could keep it and have a prominent warning before the nominations, something similar to "inkmesh can be valuable but beware of possible outdated prices and information".
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #22
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
<snip> ...I'd be fine with only adding links if posters supply you with them, on just doing without links altogether, if it makes it easier for you.

I will add that I do think inkmesh still seems like an alright site to me - it may get facts wrong, but you always find that out as you click through to the actual sites. One advantage it still has as a link here is that anyone interested can still do quick searches easier, just clicking inkmesh, then clicking the stores from there, and so despite its worsening flaws it's still the only real catch-all link option available. Perhaps you could keep it and have a prominent warning before the nominations, something similar to "inkmesh can be valuable but beware of possible outdated prices and information".
A warning label is worth considering. A shame it's come to this. Inkmesh started with such promise, but I guess the enormity of the task of keeping up with all the new titles and changes in old ones in the various bookstores has taken its toll.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:13 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The only argument in favor of keeping Inkmesh seems to be that it's the only game in town. Is the any other website that does what they do, however imperfectly?
There is another one that also is broken. I would suggest dumping the search engines as they just do not work. I just searched for an eBook (latest Star Trek eBook) that I know was released on the 25th of September and only received one link for B&N. These search engines just are obsolete. The sites change and the search eBook specific search engines do not keep up. The people behind them just don't care any longer.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:17 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by odiakkoh View Post
I say just let everyone search for themselves.
That won't work. We have to know that the book being nominated is available as a legal eBook someplace in the world. And to be honest, if it's not available in the USA as an eBook (even if it was say available in the UK), it won't win.

My choice is to have the person nominating the eBook try to find it at a few shops and link them. That would do to know it's out there in ePub & for Kindles. My shop choices would be to search Sony, Kobo, B&N, & Amazon.

Last edited by JSWolf; 10-04-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #25
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Eh, the rules already say ebook somewhere. Let's give the nominator the benefit of the doubt and then let those interested pursue it at their particular venues.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:39 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Eh, the rules already say ebook somewhere. Let's give the nominator the benefit of the doubt and then let those interested pursue it at their particular venues.
We've had people try to nominate books that are not eBooks. So if we did it the way you suggested, it's quite possible to end up with a winning book that has no eBook version.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:57 PM   #27
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
We've had people try to nominate books that are not eBooks. So if we did it the way you suggested, it's quite possible to end up with a winning book that has no eBook version.
It'll be caught before that happens. If enough people want to read it to make it the winner, enough people will have looked and come up with bupkes.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #28
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It seems like few people here would worry much about that happening.

issybird's suggestion seems simple and easy, is less work for Tom, and anyone can still check on any nominee and report back.

I suggest that if you're that concerned, then you can check all the nominees for us as they come in and provide any links you like for Tom to include. Then all your worries will be taken care of and you will be helping Tom and the book club in the process.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:34 PM   #29
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
This is one month I'll be reading both choices, so whichever one wins is fine with me.
I'll likely read both as well.
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:30 AM   #30
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Calibre offers an internet ebook search facility which seems fairly comprehensive and is customizable.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 10-05-2012 at 09:35 AM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book club, october 2012, vote