Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 09-13-2012, 08:58 AM   #1
gumalcan
Enthusiast
gumalcan began at the beginning.

Device: M92, T68ML
M92 - my first review

well i bought it on http://ereader-store.de. I received it ca. 5 days ago.
I upgraded firmware from 1.6 to 1.7(...)726
Points to be considered:
1 -from the first day i had a problem with the sylus or maybe the screen: suddendly the screen stops to respond, i have to restart sometimes even to reset the device, then i need to go to the scribble function where i have to scribble blind until it starts to appear uncoordinatedly. After that i need to go to the stylus calibration. Sometimes it doesn't work, so i need to re-do the whole stuff 3 or 4 times a day. Minus.
2- i contacted support, which proved to be quite slow, imho. In 3 days got one answer only, which was actually not a real new to me: "try to reset". Ok, thanks. Since then i've been waiting for them, but nothing at the horizon. Today is the fourth day. Minus, for now.
3 - nice large screen. I had a prs-t1 before, it seems to me the characters are more readable. Plus.
4 - the tool selection is quite slowly. You should be able to select a word and then choose what to do. With the M92 you have instead to go to the menu, select if underline/vocabulary/add note/change font etc. You need then to go back again if you need to change the function. In comparison with the prs-t1 this is a real minus.
5- the reader seems not able to highlight/annotate doc/txt files. Especially in the case of txt files, this seems weird to me, not sure if i remember well but my old kindle 2 and the prs-t1 were able to do the job. Other minus. Any possible hint on this point is welcome, beside to convert files with calibre.

6- very slow when closing files. Fast in opening them. Isn't that weird?

7- some pdf not annotable. Also the marking tool used to annotate is slow and not precise. Much better on the sony/kindle.

8 - more to come. If i will still be able to use it

Sum: i'm disappointed, i thought to have bought the non plus ultra. Now i'm still thinking if keep the device or not. I may have been
unlucky but considering the price of the reader i would have expected a much more proactive support

Last edited by gumalcan; 09-13-2012 at 09:16 AM.
gumalcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
gumalcan
Enthusiast

Update: got an answer right now, which for the time is satisfactory.
"
Hello,

in this case I will send you a replacement stylus. If it still does not work we must check your device in our maintenance office."
Advert
Old 09-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #3
Hui Neng
Ebookreader
Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Nook Simple Touch - Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumalcan View Post
Sum: i'm disappointed, i thought to have bought the non plus ultra. Now i'm still thinking if keep the device or not. I may have been
unlucky but considering the price of the reader i would have expected a much more proactive support
Welcome to the club. Now it is the decision: is the glass half full or half empty.

"non plus ultra" - maybe the next generation.

Last edited by Hui Neng; 09-13-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Hui Neng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:45 AM   #4
guidol
Enthusiast
guidol began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92 White
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui Neng View Post
Welcome to the club. Now it is the decision: is the glass half full or half empty.
For me the glass is half full, because I did got two empty glasses (Kindle 3G Keyboard and Kindle Touch).

Now my glass is half full:
- 1200x825 pixel e-ink (not only 800x600)
- SD-Card Slot (1st Yes a Slot AND not MicroSD)
- Mini-USB (and not MicroSD)
- fast ARM-CPU
- Linux
- FileManager otfm
- serial Port over USB for shell-access
- Pen-Support (Sorry, no standard Wacom)
- Battery replaceable (not a clued case like on the Kindle)
- fine battery-life
- FBReader working for me fine for the .mobi Iam reading
- white case :-) (less fingerprints to see)
guidol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:47 AM   #5
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
And also Kindle DX, 10" screen. I wouldn't use it even if I have it for free...

For me the glass is 3/4 full. Maybe even more. But different users, different needs... I do not know of any better 10" e-ink reader with pen support...
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2012, 07:45 AM   #6
HerrB
HerrB began at the beginning.

Device: Boox M92
Half full here. A4 size PDFs are a pleasure to read on it. It is not so good for reading much reference material where one tends to jump back and forth. But reading things in a flow page by page works very well for me.

All the add-ons like web browser, music player etc. etc. etc. I find are totally and utterly missing the point of an e-ink ebook reader. But then.

J.
HerrB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:23 PM   #7
gumalcan
Enthusiast

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrB View Post
Half full here. A4 size PDFs are a pleasure to read on it. It is not so good for reading much reference material where one tends to jump back and forth. But reading things in a flow page by page works very well for me.

All the add-ons like web browser, music player etc. etc. etc. I find are totally and utterly missing the point of an e-ink ebook reader. But then.

J.
well guys, i at least can appreciate y positive attitude. Would like to answer to each one of u:
1 - Guidol: - "1200x825 pixel e-ink (not only 800x600)." True. I wrote that the screen seems better than the prs-t1 one, which is considered excellent.
2 - Guidol "SD-Card Slot (1st Yes a Slot AND not MicroSD)"... am i missing some info, or this is not a big deal? I had to buy a adapter for my microSD.
3 - Guidol - "Linux" --> android on the prs-t1 . Anyway, again, i'm probably ignorant. What is the advantage of Linux on a e-book reader, in short?
4- Mono. Considering what i told before, the glass cannot really be 3/4 full. I need to export my highlights, that is why i sold my prs-t1 (it has a ridicolous 200 char limit in export). If i need 30 secs more every time i export them + go back to vocabulary you see the software could be improved. Especially if the screen freezes, which happens quite often and which gives me concerns about the life of the device.
5-HerrB "A4 size PDFs are a pleasure to read on it." -- True, i agree.
6- Hui Neng "Welcome to the club. Now it is the decision: is the glass half full or half empty." Well - i am not requesting much: i want a faster switch from function to function(from highlighting to vocabulary and back). I'd like my screen wouldn't stop to work just the day after i received the device. I'd like the chance to add notes/highlights to txt files, too. This is not really much, for the glass to be full.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:44 AM   #8
naravive
Enthusiast
naravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle, Boox M92
doc files annotation

Hi, I've just ordered an M92, and this all seems to me as not a problem, except for the ability to annotate .doc files, which is certainly something I'll need and was expecting. I do have to read and comment on several hundred pages of MS Word manuscripts for my work, and have found it painful to do so on backlit screens.

People have been silent on that point-- surely there must be a workaround, to allow annotation on doc files? The Cool Reader documentation seems to suggest that it can do so.

Naravive
naravive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:59 PM   #9
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
You could export doc files as pdfs on your pc and work with the resulting pdfs.
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:30 PM   #10
naravive
Enthusiast
naravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animals

Unhappy

Hmm, well ok but then doesn't leave much point or functionality to the device's own .doc reading capabilities does it? Sort of makes that feature redundant...
Old 09-18-2012, 08:36 PM   #11
naravive
Enthusiast

I would consider adding annotation functionality to .doc(x), rtf and txt files very important; I'd like to add that to the wiki/wishlist, but where do I add it, under what heading?