Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you like to see a vanilla ROM for the Touch?
Yes 9 81.82%
No 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-25-2012, 10:15 PM   #1
mike998
Exasperated Kobo Lover
mike998 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox
Vanilla ROM for the Vox

I'd like to take a quick poll :

I would like to see a vanilla ROM available for the Vox. I don't use the e-reader facilities of the Vox at all. I have a Kobo Touch for reading books, and use the Vox for watching movies, reading comics and other multi-media applications.

Would you like to see Kobo release a vanilla ROM?
mike998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:38 PM   #2
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
I don't know why Kobo would bother to spend any time doing that. They sell books and are selling the Vox as an eReader tablet, to enhance their book sales.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:09 PM   #3
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Meh. 5 char
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:33 PM   #4
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
Multi-media??

But the processor in the Vox is so lame.

Reading books is about all it's good for!
Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:32 AM   #5
BWinmill
Nameless Being

I'd rather see a less Vanilla ROM from Kobo since I believe that one of the merits of an ereader is a distraction free reading environment.

That said, I would probably use a vanilla ROM from a third party since the Vox currently ships with too many apps that are there for purely marketing purposes (globe2go, pressdisplay, zinio, rdio, INQ, etc.).

Laridae: the processor and memory on the Vox is plenty powerful for multimedia. Cripes, I remember the days when a 50 MHz 80486 or 68040 was considered a video production machine. Sure there was plenty of add-on hardware to do that, but even that add-on hardware was nothing compared to the video extensions on modern microprocessors.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:49 AM   #6
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
My Vox plays Netflix fine, flash is a bit slow. No interest in ROMs.
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:05 AM   #7
kcarscadden
Zealot
kcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavens

Device: iPad Air 5, Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
None of what you want requires a different ROM. You can root your VOX, then remove or install any apps you want. It is easier to install other apps if you also install Android Market after rooting.
kcarscadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:12 AM   #8
mike998
Exasperated Kobo Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laridae View Post
Multi-media??

But the processor in the Vox is so lame.

Reading books is about all it's good for!
My daughter's watching Gnomeo and Juliet on my Vox as I type this. It's a very good multi-media device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarscadden View Post
None of what you want requires a different ROM. You can root your VOX, then remove or install any apps you want. It is easier to install other apps if you also install Android Market after rooting.
Yes, I've rooted it, removed the "cruft" apps, installed Google Market, but I'd prefer to have a vanilla ROM and have a clean slate to start from.

To be brutally frank, I don't like the Kobo software that's on my Vox. As I mentioned, I have a Touch and much prefer to read books using that.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:22 PM   #9
kcarscadden
Zealot
kcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavens

Device: iPad Air 5, Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Let me say this a different way.

It is not the ROM you are objecting to, it just interfaces the hardware with the lowest software level.

You don't like the Kobo apps and how they are presented. The apps loaded by Kobo are "special" in that they are root apps, rather than normal user apps. The main difference is that they can't be deleted unless you root the VOX. If you want the Kobo apps de-emphasized, get the Go Launcher from Android Market, then you can get rid of all the Kobo apps on the bottom row of the home screen.
kcarscadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:11 PM   #10
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
It is not the ROM you are objecting to, it just interfaces the hardware with the lowest software level.
I think ROM refers to everything from the hardware interface to the bundled software in this case, rather than the technical definition of ROM (or, more appropriately, firmware).

For the most parts, removing bits and pieces of the system works well. Yet it does have some drawbacks. If you get a little too zealous, breakage is easy. Also, how many people understand what changes Kobo made to the system? The user-facing stuff is the obvious part. While poking around, it seems as though other modifications were made as well. Kobo's fingerprints are definitely on some of the initialization files (as an example).
Old 01-27-2012, 08:03 AM   #11
mike998
Exasperated Kobo Lover

Quote:
...If you want the Kobo apps de-emphasized, get the Go Launcher from Android Market, then you can get rid of all the Kobo apps on the bottom row of the home screen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
I think ROM refers to everything from the hardware interface to the bundled software in this case, rather than the technical definition of ROM (or, more appropriately, firmware).

For the most parts, removing bits and pieces of the system works well. Yet it does have some drawbacks. If you get a little too zealous, breakage is easy. Also, how many people understand what changes Kobo made to the system? The user-facing stuff is the obvious part. While poking around, it seems as though other modifications were made as well. Kobo's fingerprints are definitely on some of the initialization files (as an example).
BWinmill has hit the nail on the head. There's massive amounts of customization with the Vox - A great example is when you use the pull-down shade - The Kobo information is right there. I've already tried installing other launchers but this doesn't help. I'd like a blank, clean slate to start from.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #12
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike998 View Post
Would you like to see Kobo release a vanilla ROM?
I don't understand the question.
Is that the same as "rooting" it?
Would it still have the Android O/S?
Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:31 PM   #13
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Not the same as rooting but yes it would still be android. It would be "pure" android without kobo's customizations.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:05 PM   #14
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Cant really answer this question, I personally wouldn't want one, happy with the Vox as it is, but if others want it then no problem with it being done
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote