Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-05-2010, 10:36 AM   #1
lalebarde
Connoisseur
lalebarde began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950SC daily edition
Lightbulb Close or Open ? Wait ?

Hi all,

For two months, I read forums to try to choose my first reader. Let's summarize my conclusions up to now :

1) There are two types of competitors : the ones that sell ebooks (amazone, B&N, etc), and the others. That explains the gap in prices since the former can squeeze their margin to zero, like with the printers market. On the other hand, this is at the price of being jailed in a "closed" world . The amazone online format converter is a show-stopper for me. There are alternatives and one can use free software to perform it, but it is still a show-stopper for me . I want to download an epub, a pdf or a chm in the device and read it. That's all , especially when dealing with the Gutenberg project, I want to download hundreds of books in the device and choose later what I want to read . Sony is the man in the middle, with their store and with open format (epub). But in their new model that includes wifi, you cannot download elsewhere than in their store or on googlebooks . It is delibaratly curbed. By principle, I cannot accept that. The other competitors shall innovate and provide more functionalities, formats, and quality to survive .
2) Except sometimes for competitors in the market for a long time, functionalities are not so mature, especially concerning the following ones which are seldom or never available :
- PDF reflow.
- Library management (with a directory tree, not just collections)
- Support of locales (azerty keyboards)
- Per book settings (eg : font size & type & thickness, zoom, view mode) remembering.
- Connectivity : sometimes, a bluetooth interface exist, but with minimal functionalities : no headsets, no keyboard.
- Browsers : sometimes not stable.
- Multi-document : I need to open several documents, at least 3, and be able to switch from one to the other without loosing anything. It is usefull for me for scholar publications with references.
- Full synchronisation with otheir device (PC especially) : ebooks, notes, highlights, bookmarks, settings, etc.
- Full library search in content, not only meta-data, with use of lucene search engine.

My conclusion today is to buy cheap now an used unit with a good pdf reflow and wait .

What's your opinion ?

Last edited by lalebarde; 10-05-2010 at 01:33 PM.
lalebarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:38 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There is no device that will meet all your requirements; I'm afraid that they are unrealistic at present.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:31 AM   #3
lalebarde
Connoisseur
lalebarde began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950SC daily edition
--suppressed--

Last edited by lalebarde; 10-07-2010 at 06:28 PM.
lalebarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 03:36 AM   #4
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Though I adhere HarryT's opinion, you might like to check out Pocketbook models. AFAIK, these elements of your list are supported:

- PDF reflow.
- Library management (with a directory tree, not just collections)
- Support of locales (azerty keyboards) (a bit of DIY is needed)
- Bluetooth of the decent kind.
- A fairly stable browser

And it reads ePubs, Chms and PDFs quite nicely.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:02 PM   #5
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalebarde View Post
Sony is the man in the middle, with their store and with open format (epub). But in their new model that includes wifi, you cannot download elsewhere than in their store or on googlebooks . It is delibaratly curbed. By principle, I cannot accept that.
Just for the record, you can't use WiFi to download from other than their store. The reader will not surf the web for you. You can download ePubs from anywhere but Barnes & Noble onto your computer and load them on the reader.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attitude, competitors, functionnalities, maturity, price