Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-16-2019, 07:02 PM   #1
christopher22
Zealot
christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.

Device: Kobo Aura & Touch
magnetic micro usb adapter charger

Has anyone outfitted their kobo's with a micro usb magnetic adapter charger?

Since we're constantly plugging them in to charge or download books I would think this would save the micro usb port from wear. So does anyone recommend any particular ones?

What's the difference between a gen2 and gen3 netdot 3rd generation etc... - I'm unfamiliar with the naming conventions - which one should a kobo use?

Last edited by christopher22; 01-16-2019 at 07:02 PM. Reason: add info
christopher22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:46 PM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I've always been put off by the poor reviews of these items. So I'd be curious to see what others have to say about them.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2019, 11:18 PM   #3
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
I use one and love it. It says "HKW" on one end of the cable, so I assume that's the manufacturer. No more fumbling to try and see which end is right-side-up, because it connects either way. I think I've been using it for at least a year with no issues. I highly recommend it.

ETA: I have no idea about the difference between gen2 and gen3 versions, and I have no idea which one I have. I think I just searched for "magnetic micro-usb cable" on Amazon, and ended up with this one.

Last edited by icallaci; 01-16-2019 at 11:23 PM.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:07 AM   #4
Wolfsbruder
Connoisseur
Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma, Kobo Elipsa
I use one by Wsken that I absolutely love. it's great for my kobo, my phone, and my DAP.
Wolfsbruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:53 AM   #5
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Do these cables transfer files from a PC to the ereader, or are they for charging only?
Calenorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2019, 08:22 AM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I can't say I've noticed any wear on the USB ports on all the Kobo's I've owned (touch, Glo, Glo HD, Aura, Aura HD, h20, Glo HD). Kobo seems to do a good job with the USB connector. My Lenovo tablet on the other hand, ...
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:27 AM   #7
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Do these cables transfer files from a PC to the ereader, or are they for charging only?
I use mine for everything. They can transfer files, charge from a wall outlet or a PC, etc. Whatever regular cables do, magnetic ones also do, without the hassle of figuring out which side of the connector is up or down.

Last edited by icallaci; 01-17-2019 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:04 PM   #8
christopher22
Zealot
christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.

The connectors are so small I sometimes worry if it's off just a bit when you plug it in you'll break the the little piece you're connecting into. In fact, my old samsung phone usb port doesn't work anymore because of the wear. The magnetic connector would completely eliminate any possibility of damaging the usb port.
I'm sure the usb port will not outlive the life of the kobo itself but the magnetic connector will definitely make that happen.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:46 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I'm certain from reading about these connectors power works however the two connectors are aligned while data needs the correct orientation of the two components

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:14 PM   #10
icallaci
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I'm certain from reading about these connectors power works however the two connectors are aligned while data needs the correct orientation of the two components

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Hmmm, could be. I guess I orient mine the same way without paying much attention. The HKW is embossed on the "top" of the connector, so I usually align it that way and never noticed (subconscious OCD?).
Old 01-18-2019, 03:48 AM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
You're incorrect. Data and power connect correctly in either orientation.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 04:02 PM   #12
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I tried some from NetDot, after reading this thread and they work fine with my Aura HD. I am also trying one to charge my Xbox One X controllers, looks good but I'll have to see if is really charging the batteries inside the controller.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 04:08 PM   #13
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
After reading many reviews of the different brands, I'm still leery.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:28 PM   #14
christopher22
Zealot

The netdot's are pretty inexpensive - you can buy a 5 pack on amazon. The reviews for Wsken are solid, they look good but much more expensive than the netdot's.
With netdot do you need to install software?
They talk about netdot gen3 not being able to be used with charger cords of gen2 or any other cords. So looks like you need to have a matching cable and micro adapter.

Last edited by christopher22; 01-18-2019 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:53 AM   #15
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher22 View Post
They talk about netdot gen3 not being able to be used with charger cords of gen2 or any other cords. So looks like you need to have a matching cable and micro adapter.
There's no standards for these adapters, so do not try to mix & match brands. I'd advise buying one to try, and if you like it, quickly buying more of the exact same thing.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adapter, kobo, magnetic