Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-13-2011, 09:34 PM   #1
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
Question Using B&N account *and* side-loaded content

I just added a Nook wi-fi to my collection of devices. I have about 400 books on my PC, where I manage them with Calibre. I also have a dozen or so books in my B&N account, and when I linked it to the device, they all came in via the wi-fi, neat as you please. And I tested side-loading by pulling in four books from my Calibre database. But I have two problems with this.

1. The books I side loaded are in a folder called My Documents, but the books that came from my B&N account are in a folder called My B&N Library.

2. The same books that are in my B&N account, are also in Calibre, because I put them there when I bought them. So if I just side load everything, I'll have duplicates. It seems awfully nuisancy to pick and choose only the things that don't come from my B&N account - I suppose I could make a tag for that but it seems kinda silly.

How can I consolidate this to one list? Right now I'm thinking I could just load them all from Calibre, and keep the B&N library empty.

Then later, if I purchase something from B&N's store, from the Nook's wi-fi, I can come back to my PC when I get home, and download it again to store it in Calibre.

Can I make my B&N account not load everything from my account onto my Nook whenever I turn on the wi-fi, and only load the things I just bought, until I get home to my PC and can synch with Calibre? Is there any way to clear that folder without taking the books out of my B&N account? I kinda like knowing they're out there, just in case, so i don't really want to nuke them from the account.

For now I have it in airplane mode to keep it off the wi-fi, until I come up with a plan to control it better.

Thanks!
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:35 AM   #2
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I'm not that familiar with the BN Library, but I think if you "archive" books they won't be downloaded to the reader.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2011, 07:04 AM   #3
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
I think the only thing you can do with your B&N-purchased ebooks is to "archive" them, which will remove them from the Nook itself but preserve them on the B&N server. They may still appear in the list of books in the B&N Nook library however.

Of course, if you are using Calibre on all your B&N books (doing it right after buying them), it seems that you would never have to go into the Nook's B&N area, right? So just ignore it, I'd say.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:10 AM   #4
DiannaInVA
Enthusiast
DiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: Nook
I never even go into the B&N Library of my nook. I put all of my books into Calibre and then side load them into the Nook. So when I view my books I only go into "My Documents".

Having said that, I used to go onto the B&N website and "archive" my purchased books once I read them. But I haven't done that in awhile since I haven't gone into "My B&N Library" on my Nook in awhile.
DiannaInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:32 PM   #5
SonDan1
Connoisseur
SonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it is

Device: Nook 1, Aluratek Libre Pro,Kobo Wi-Fi, Samsung Galaxy Tab, KoboT, NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiannaInVA View Post
I never even go into the B&N Library of my nook. I put all of my books into Calibre and then side load them into the Nook. So when I view my books I only go into "My Documents".

Having said that, I used to go onto the B&N website and "archive" my purchased books once I read them. But I haven't done that in awhile since I haven't gone into "My B&N Library" on my Nook in awhile.
What a wonderful idea. As soon as I read your post I was like "Duh, why didn't I think of that!?"

Will do this over the weekend so that I will no longer have to look through two places on my Nook to decide what to read next.

Thanks for sharing.
SonDan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2011, 10:04 AM   #6
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
Thanks for the archiving suggestion. I'll do that.

I'm thinking I'll just side load everything, unless I decide I just *have* to buy a new book from B&N while I'm traveling or something. When I get home I can pull the new book to Calibre and insert it into my existing organizational scheme. I'll have to go out to B&N's store from the device, and buy something, just to try that part out.

Mostly I guess that I will leave it in airplane mode, rather than leave it to drain its battery just to chitchat with my wireless router for no reason. I must admit that the idea of disabling the wireless makes me laugh, since I also have the Sony readers and people are always trying to convince me to be upset that they lack wireless.
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:39 PM   #7
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic
thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook1, Samsung Transform, Nook2
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizilla View Post
Thanks for the archiving suggestion. I'll do that.

I'm thinking I'll just side load everything, unless I decide I just *have* to buy a new book from B&N while I'm traveling or something. When I get home I can pull the new book to Calibre and insert it into my existing organizational scheme. I'll have to go out to B&N's store from the device, and buy something, just to try that part out.

Mostly I guess that I will leave it in airplane mode, rather than leave it to drain its battery just to chitchat with my wireless router for no reason. I must admit that the idea of disabling the wireless makes me laugh, since I also have the Sony readers and people are always trying to convince me to be upset that they lack wireless.
That's precisely what I've been doing and it works quite well for my needs (and should work for yours too from what I've gleaned so far). One thing though, any "free classics" I download from B&N I try to leave in the B&N library since I revisit them so infrequently (no sense in cluttering up my docs with those).

I always leave it in airplane mode and the battery savings are tremendous. Since B&N reviews of a book are usually nonexistent or a joke, I never buy directly from the nook anyway since I have to go to other sites to read reviews. Sometimes, if I have the time on hand, I buy from the B&N website, download it to Calibre right then and archive it from the website right away. Then, do any .... ah .... preprocessing needed , edit the metadata in Calibre, push it to the nook and away we go .
thrawn_aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:02 PM   #8
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I Archive what I buy after putting them into calibre, that way I don't have duplicates, it works out for me pretty well. But I have a rooted Nook, I didin't read if you had that or not.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote