Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-31-2010, 09:27 AM   #1
markman
Enthusiast
markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.

Device: Aluratek Libre, Sony PRS350
Looking for new e-reader for wife

Hi all,

I have an Aluratek Libre which I really like. Now, my wife is interested in getting an e-reader. I think she wants one with a 6 inch screen (which takes the Libre out of the running). I haven't really kept up with the marketplace since I got the Libre in January so I have a couple of questions.

1. Which readers currently support getting books from the library other than the Nook and Libre?

2. I know the Kindle doesn't support library books but can Calibre be used to convert epub to Kindle format?

3. How much better is the new screen (contrast, readability) on the Kindle compared to the Nook?

Thanks for the help!
markman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:40 AM   #2
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Personally I also have a Libra Pro and I would recommend that you two standardize on the Libra Pro for these reasons:

1) You can share books between you two;
2) You do tech support for her, since you both have the same model you can help each other out when it comes to getting things done on your ereaders.
3) No duplication of software, one software can manage the entire library for both of you two.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2010, 10:03 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Since want a 6" reader that supports Library borrowing and the new Pearl screen, the only choice is the Sony Reader PRS-650. I have one and really like it.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:27 AM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Have you checked your local library's collection of e-books available?

The library feature is a great one........IF there is a good selection of book in the genres she likes available.

Yes, Calibre can be used to support the Kindle format.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:21 AM   #5
markman
Enthusiast
markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Have you checked your local library's collection of e-books available?

The library feature is a great one........IF there is a good selection of book in the genres she likes available.

Yes, Calibre can be used to support the Kindle format.
Fortunately our local library has a fairly extensive selection of e-books. That will save a lot of money.

Does Calibre actually allow converting epub to Kindle?
Advert
Old 10-31-2010, 06:31 PM   #6
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by markman View Post
Fortunately our local library has a fairly extensive selection of e-books. That will save a lot of money.

Does Calibre actually allow converting epub to Kindle?
Calibre will convert ePub to Mobi. Some Kindle owners even have it set up so that Calibre emails books to their Kindles. However, Calibre will not convert books that have DRM. If you want to read library books on a Kindle, you have to strip the DRM before Calibre can help you.

Personally, I really like my Sony 650. My computer-phobic 83 year old mother was able to operate it right out of the box. With a little training, she became proficient at checking out ebooks and loading them herself. She bought the 650 for the library book support and loves the screen.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:19 PM   #7
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
The Sony 650 is the easiest choice. The library feature works great. I use it all the time.

Also EPUB is a readily available format. Why mess with converting to Mobi when you don't have to?
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:49 PM   #8
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Another vote for the 650...I really like mine! Can't really think of anything I'd change to make it better.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:06 PM   #9
markman
Enthusiast

The Sony 650 looks nice but at $230+ it seems overpriced. Is the touch feature really that good? It looks like it has good book organization features but so does my Aluratek Libre. Is there something that I'm missing about it that justifies the $100 premium?
Old 10-31-2010, 10:09 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by markman View Post
The Sony 650 looks nice but at $230+ it seems overpriced. Is the touch feature really that good? It looks like it has good book organization features but so does my Aluratek Libre. Is there something that I'm missing about it that justifies the $100 premium?
I bought one when Borders was giving away the free light cover. The cover is quite nice and it dropped the price overall to less then $200 easily.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:29 AM   #11
Jeri Patrick
I like to watch
Jeri Patrick began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650
+1 for the Sony PRS-650. After trying out quite a few e-readers I found that the Sony just felt good. The touch screen makes turning pages a natural action and accessing the built-in dictionaries is a breeze. Another major reason for going with the Sony was ePub; this means we can download books from our local library as we are not book buyers. "Real" books have become very clunky in comparison.
Jeri Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:08 PM   #12
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I would look at the Classic Nook. The 650 is a nice machine but I would not buy an e-reader without the 3G or WiFi option. It is amazing the number of times I have decided to buy a book in the airport or on a bus where I did not have access to a computer to side load books.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:20 PM   #13
yakuzaboss
Groupie
yakuzaboss is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-650
+1 for the Sony 650.
yakuzaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:20 PM   #14
Andyp133
Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Sony PRS 505, PRS 350, Kobo Aura HD
Looking for new e-reader for wife

Now that sounds like a good swap !!!!!!
Andyp133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:52 AM   #15
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
I checked out the new Sonys at Best Buy, and they really are great devices. The problem is, they are way overpriced compared with the competition. Also, the 650 really should have wifi. I thought the 950 was fantastic and very well rounded for an eink device. I think it would be the best overall eink ereader if not for the price.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote