Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-21-2024, 05:16 AM   #91
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
This analogy is arrant nonsense. It's more like the difference between eating your McD's burger off a china plate at a table vs eating it out of a paper wrapper standing up. Same content, different surroundings/circumstances.
Also decent books (audio, paper or ebook) are more like a real meal. I'm not sure why McD is allowed to call them 'meals'.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 06:00 AM   #92
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
I'm enough of a philistine to probably enjoy McDonalds food.
But I don't like the concept or the ubiquitousness so I don't go there.
I can't even think of the last time that I had "fast food".
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2024, 08:02 AM   #93
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus, Kindle Oasis 2
The arrogance is implying that reading is always better than listening. Saying that listening isn't really reading. While I definitely prefer text (ebook or paper), I know other brains work differently. Some crafters talk about concentrating better on an audiobook while doing something with their hands (knitting, spinning, crocheting, etc.) than they would reading the text. And even I find some things easier to take in when heard out loud, like poetry.

I don't get the love for smell or feel of print books. My love of print books is purely as visual objects. Enjoy your petting and sniffing; I just wanna gaze at them.

I also found the description of these forums as harsh amusing. Maybe I've never really been on the receiving end of it here, but I've definitely seen more brutal behavior in other places online (and in person when I was a kid in school).
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 11:39 AM   #94
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
To those who would use "fierce" or "virulent" to describe the defense of opinions on this site: you really should get out more. This forum is absolute milquetoast compared to the majority of the internet (not to mention real life).

Does everyone spend all their time surrounded by people who agree with them about absolutely everything or something?
I've been on a parenting forum discussing Santa. This forum (excluding the P&R section since I've never looked at it) is meek and mild compared to that blistering bit of hellfire.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 11:41 AM   #95
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekbell View Post
I've been on a parenting forum discussing Santa. This forum (excluding the P&R section since I've never looked at it) is meek and mild compared to that blistering bit of hellfire.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2024, 01:31 PM   #96
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Compared to most of the forums I've been involved with, MobileRead's forums are definitely on the meeker side. Even the more opinionated posters haven't threatened me with hellfire for disagreeing with them.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 08:00 AM   #97
JBaby
Zealot
JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 11th Gen Paperwhite SE, 2021 iPad Pro 11” & iPhone 11 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Has your sister ever tried colors? Sometimes someone with dyslexia can read better with colors then just B/W. I've heard that green text can be good for some.

Colors does nothing for her. Bigger text works best for her. The so called dyslexic fonts don’t help her either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Urban myth. Actual studies show little (usually too small sample) or no advantage to special fonts or color.
Being able to chose Sans-serif or Serif (depending on person), vary size and spacing is best. Also no drop caps or small caps and no distractions.
Font size is what works best for her. No distractions also helps, but that’s harder with her ADHD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I agree. My wife is dyslexic and loves to read. Special colors and fonts do not help her.
Apache
Yeah my sister spent so much time trying to get colors to work. But it did absolutely nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
The arrogance is implying that reading is always better than listening. Saying that listening isn't really reading. While I definitely prefer text (ebook or paper), I know other brains work differently. Some crafters talk about concentrating better on an audiobook while doing something with their hands (knitting, spinning, crocheting, etc.) than they would reading the text. And even I find some things easier to take in when heard out loud, like poetry.

I don't get the love for smell or feel of print books. My love of print books is purely as visual objects. Enjoy your petting and sniffing; I just wanna gaze at them.

I also found the description of these forums as harsh amusing. Maybe I've never really been on the receiving end of it here, but I've definitely seen more brutal behavior in other places online (and in person when I was a kid in school).
This is so me. If I’m listening to an audiobook I’m almost always knitting or crocheting.

I also don’t get the smell of books. It just reminds me of my dust allergy.
JBaby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 07:17 PM   #98
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaby View Post
I also don’t get the smell of books.
If you can smell them, doesn't that usually mean mold and mildew?
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 08:08 PM   #99
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
New books have a paper smell that is definitely not the same as the smell of mold.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 12:00 PM   #100
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
New books have a paper smell that is definitely not the same as the smell of mold.
Glue.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 01:17 PM   #101
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I don't get the confusion here. People associate smells with feelings based on past events. If you noticed the smell of books while greatly enjoying reading in the past, then smelling that odor again will put you into a similar mood. It is not the odor itself that matters, but the emotions it triggers. I'm more mystified at those who don't experience this reaction than those that do.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 01:37 PM   #102
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I have many memories that are triggered by particular smells whenever they are encountered. Books/reading just aren't among those memories triggered by smell for me. Rarely did a book get close enough to my nose to smell it while reading them. And literally burying my nose in one didn't seem like normal behavior to me.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 03:14 PM   #103
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Glue.
And we don't want to sniff glue.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 06:09 PM   #104
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I don't get the confusion here. People associate smells with feelings based on past events. If you noticed the smell of books while greatly enjoying reading in the past, then smelling that odor again will put you into a similar mood. It is not the odor itself that matters, but the emotions it triggers. I'm more mystified at those who don't experience this reaction than those that do.
I do experience it with the smells I find pleasant (fresh baking, recently mowed grass, greenery after rain, chocolate and so on). I've never found the smell of books (new or old) pleasant, in fact I actively dislike it, even though I've been a voracious reader since early childhood and always greatly enjoyed reading. But for some reason I don't associate this enjoyment with either the feel or smell of paper books - only with the content itself.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 10:00 PM   #105
jackm8
Zealot
jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I've never found the smell of books (new or old) pleasant,
I do. I particularly like old, old book, or fresh new ones. I associate the smell with my elementary school library, and the very first books that were bought for me in the library by my mother (Enid Blyton). They're up there with dry summer forests, fresh winter snowy alps, and roasted chestnuts in the autumn.
jackm8 is offline   Reply With Quote