Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-27-2006, 05:37 AM   #16
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
/signed

a big plus for the Iliad, apparently the only device that does not need to convrt everything.
i only hope a company like mobipocket makes a free multi-format and full-featured reader for this platform.
iRex doe not want to make the viewers itself as it seems and is messing about with dedicated viewers for the different formats...not a good idea in my opinion.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 07:33 AM   #17
TaKir
Keine Ursache! ))
TaKir is on a distinguished road

Device: Lbook V8 & V3_Vizplex
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduj
What kind of warranty is coming with these new units. TIA EDUJ
Jinke V8 is the only device, you can really buy now (F.O.B. Tianjin $250).

Here is a pdf file with user manual & warranty for Jinke V8 Readman
http://www.jinke.com.cn/compagesql/u...es00000049.pdf

It's written in realy awful english, but it's all we have now ((
Until there is no real Sony & Irex - no real user manuals & warranties...

More then 30 days left to the end of April (official Irex shipment), and more then 60 to Sony's shipment (end of spring) - many things can change up to that time.
TaKir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2006, 11:37 AM   #18
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Quote:
and more then 60 to Sony's shipment (end of spring)
Actually, I read somewhere that the Sony was supposed to be releaseed in April, but that may have been conjecture by the writer. I don't recall where I read it.

Of course, who really knows whether any manufarcturer will meet their "projected" release date? They seldom seem to....

Take Care
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 01:05 PM   #19
TaKir
Keine Ursache! ))

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDMan
Actually, I read somewhere that the Sony was supposed to be releaseed in April,
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...ductSKU=PRS500
"Available in Spring 2006." - means till the end of of spring Sony probably will tell us, they begin sell it ))

But the pop up picture of Connect store
http://products.sel.sony.com/pa/prs/..._features.html

gives us some hope, this device will be available before 19 may (see Da Vinci book announcement).
So, the pessimistic, but real date, we can operate with - about 15th May.

From today it means more then 50 days. (((
Old 03-27-2006, 02:34 PM   #20
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Quote:
So, the pessimistic, but real date, we can operate with - about 15th May.
I found the April release reference. It was PC World.....

PC World Sony Reader
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2006, 03:13 AM   #21
TaKir
Keine Ursache! ))

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDMan
I found the April release reference. It was PC World.....
Unfortunately, it means nothing (((
The only thing I know exactly - Sony wants and needs to be the first company in this market. With e-ink readers I mean. So, may be we'll see it in April, before Irex. ))
Old 03-30-2006, 12:53 PM   #22
avid
Enthusiast
avid has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Palm TX, Ebookwise 1150, Cybook Gen 3
There was a post in the Suggestions forum at Mobipocket asking if they would develop software for the Iliad. The reply was:
"Perhaps. It is still in discussion."
At least that is something - we can hope!
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 01:24 PM   #23
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

that would be cool...mobipocket is a good piece of software...:-)

and it's free...
Old 04-06-2006, 06:13 AM   #24
TaKir
Keine Ursache! ))

I think, it would be good to add an info about displays dimensions - (in mm), not only in pixels (800x600) and inches (6", 8.1")

For example (Jinke, Sony) - Primary Display (90mm by 120mm) 6-inch SVGA 800x600 4 grey scales, 166.7pp
Irex - Primary Display (XXmm by XXXmm) 8.1-inch XGA 1024x768 16 grey scales, 158ppi
Old 04-06-2006, 05:28 PM   #25
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaKir
I think, it would be good to add an info about displays dimensions - (in mm), not only in pixels (800x600) and inches (6", 8.1")

For example (Jinke, Sony) - Primary Display (90mm by 120mm) 6-inch SVGA 800x600 4 grey scales, 166.7pp
Irex - Primary Display (XXmm by XXXmm) 8.1-inch XGA 1024x768 16 grey scales, 158ppi
That's a good idea, let's try to find the info for the iRex's dimensions somewhere.
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:35 PM   #26
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

122x163mm
it's right there in the data-pdf....-)
http://www.irextechnologies.com/down...flet-Iliad.pdf
Old 04-06-2006, 05:40 PM   #27
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
122x163mm
it's right there in the data-pdf....-)
http://www.irextechnologies.com/down...flet-Iliad.pdf
Thanks guys, it's updated.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 08:56 PM   #28
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
The matrix lists the internal Sony Reader memory as 64 MB; however, the CONNECT software lists the internal memory available on my Reader as 91.9. To test this I loaded enough files to fill it and it did indeed hold about 90 MB of files.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 10:47 PM   #29
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
The matrix lists the internal Sony Reader memory as 64 MB; however, the CONNECT software lists the internal memory available on my Reader as 91.9. To test this I loaded enough files to fill it and it did indeed hold about 90 MB of files.
This is true for me too. Does anyone know the exact number of available memory?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 11:46 AM   #30
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I seem to remember hearing somewhere that the total memory was something like 128 Mb -- I wouldn't put too much weight on that, I don't know how reliable it is.

Whatever the 'total' memory is, they clearly put the OS/App set into it too, and we get whatever's left over. As noted, right now it's around 90Mb. I think the "64 Mb of User Accessible Memory" thing is more in the area of a statement that they don't plan to fill so much of the internal memory that they leave us less than that 64 Mb.

I guess I said all that to say this: whatever the current usable memory is, I think it's likely to move around some with firmware updates.

That's a lot of speculation in there, so salt to taste.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote