Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-17-2010, 10:24 PM   #1
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Sony: PRS-300, PRS-350. Kobo: Aura v2, Clara HD, Libra 2
Sony sending apology email for Canadian customers

Hello,

thought I'd mention this, I received an email from Sony apologizing for the recent plague of titles available in the US only :

"Dear Fellow Reader

We at the Reader™ Store realize that select eBook titles are currently unavailable in Canada. We apologize for the inconvenience. Due to recent changes in the publishing industry, we are temporarily unable to offer certain titles in Canada.

However, we are committed to providing you access to the widest selection of digital reading content and are working to resolve the issue as soon as possible. We hope to have new releases, bestsellers, and all your favorite eBook titles available for your reading pleasure.

Thank you for your patience and we appreciate your choosing the Reader™ Store.

Your Friends at the Reader™ Store"

Hopefully they'll fix this soon, as well as other eBook providers!
Squirsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:16 PM   #2
sjfwhite
Enthusiast
sjfwhite began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Apple iPad Mini 2
Are there any easy workarounds for this? I wanted to buy Burden of Proof by Scott Turow (already have the hard cover from years ago) but it is not available in Canada, in spite of all the other Turow books that are. Thanks!
sjfwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2010, 12:37 PM   #3
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
sj: gift cards, friends in the united states, proxies, and alternative ebook sources.
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:19 PM   #4
sjfwhite
Enthusiast
sjfwhite began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Apple iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorino View Post
sj: gift cards, friends in the united states, proxies, and alternative ebook sources.
Thanks - is it less of a hassle than Amazon? It if is as simple as using a proxy to sign in (regardless of the location of the credit card) then that would be great (although still an unnecessary hassle).

(EDIT: Nevermind - I figured out I would need to get someone in the US to purchase the gift card for me... Anybody mind if I Paypal you the money? Please...? )

The "alternate sources" aren't very good for this particular book (unless I go through and fix all the OCR mistakes - LOL).

Last edited by sjfwhite; 06-18-2010 at 04:29 PM.
sjfwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 03:35 AM   #5
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
It's BS, of course, Squirsier. Ask Sony why the store still wlll not accept titles from legitimate publishers without a US presence (we're registered a million miles away in Canada and can't get through the door), why the store is not by any means internationally available (though its devices are) and why there are geographical restrictions on titles on which publishers hold full international rights in all formats. This letter is a weak attempt at shifting blame and pisses me off no end. Apart from that wee rant -- happy weekend, chums. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert