Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-01-2010, 10:43 PM   #1
mbroden
mbroden began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Unhappy Need major help!

I have a prs-300 and tried to do the russian flash thingy and something went terribly wrong! I was stuck on eternal "opening book" screen. Charged and reset (won't shut off) and got the "flash unsuccessful, try again" message, then plugged it into my MacBook and it says eternally "updating firmware" but it doesn't.
I don't know how I can "reflash" it with my mac since everything I see available (like from the Russian site) is an exe so it won't do anything.
It won't hard reset. When I do connect it to my mac it shows up as unnamed with a DOS-looking file that says "protected."
Please help if you can...I love this little reader and I haven't had it long at all.
mbroden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:24 AM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I see you received many views. I'm sorry I can't be of help.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2010, 12:15 PM   #3
Paul58
A Reader with no Reader..
Paul58 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Pocket Edition, B&N Nook
Sorry for your loss. I do not mean to sound heatless or callused, and I certainly empathize with your situation, but this is exactly why I don't mess with hacking, rooting (I have a nook too), or otherwise screwing with expensive electronics! Call me Murphy, but if something is going to go terribly wrong, I am usually the person it happens to! Hopefully, someone on here can help you out...
Paul58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:23 PM   #4
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Hacking can enhance, so I think it's ok. What you need to do is post your problem in the thread of the hack; usually the creator will be able to help you solve the problem. Also most people in those threads have hacked their reader and might have a solution to what you're experiencing. good luck!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:48 PM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
This tool should let you get the reader out of the firmware update mode. Just connect the reader to PC and run it. Note that this will put a PRS-505 firmware on it which is not really compatible with 300, so you will need to reflash it with a PRS-300 modified firmware again.

Last edited by igorsk; 02-02-2010 at 12:50 PM.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2010, 02:22 PM   #6
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroden View Post
something went terribly wrong! I was stuck on eternal "opening book" screen.
Well, for some people it's the story of their lives...
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:44 PM   #7
Paul58
A Reader with no Reader..
Paul58 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Pocket Edition, B&N Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
Hacking can enhance, so I think it's ok.
I don't disagree with this statement, I just don't do it anymore because more times than not, my results turned out like mbroden's!

I'd love to have the features the russification thingy provides, like the page turns using the number buttons and the clock! But, I'm also extremely gun shy when it comes to anything that could void my warranty and potentially leave me with a very expensive paperweight! I certainly hope mbroden can get it fixed with the help of others here!
Paul58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:18 PM   #8
mbroden

Smile WooHoo!

Thank you Igorsk, so much!!! That did it!!!
I lost no books or anything and I now have a clock in the menu.
Man though, and this is not a flame, doing this through a PC for a Mac guy was really not very easy.
Thanks again for the help!
I am once again a proud owner and USER of a PRS-300 : )
Old 02-02-2010, 06:22 PM   #9
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Man though, and this is not a flame, doing this through a PC for a Mac guy was really not very easy.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:28 PM   #10
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300, K3 WiFi, K4 NT, PW2
Quote:
Just out of curiousity, did you do the original flash from a Mac or a PC?
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:12 AM   #11
mbroden

Flashed from Mac

I did the Russian firmware update from my MacBook.
Nice to have the clock.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:00 AM   #12
polvadis
polvadis began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Opening Book... screen of death :(

Hi everyone. After reading trough pages of success stories I also decided to update my PRS-300 with the Boroda 1.04a firmware to get the clock and the number button page turn.

All was going well but now I'm stuck on the Opening Book screen. It's been on that for the past 6 hours. I've tried resetting it but after what looks like a quick reboot it gets to the same Opening Book screen.

I've read the very fist post here and it seems after this happens long enough I should get the "Flash Unsuccessful" message? Is that what I'm waiting for now? Or could this flash still go through? Is there a way to hard reset it now with the screen and the only diode blinking?

I had the correct firmware version 1.0.00.18160 going into this. I'm not sure if the content on the Reader would have anything to do with this. I have about 30 books on there, all free stuff I can replace, but I also have a 70mb PDF file I threw on there to see what it would look like. Now I'm curious if this is the reason it's taking this long.

Any help to get me out of this screen would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
polvadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:04 AM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, polvadis.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:05 AM   #14
polvadis

Thank you desertgrandma.

A little update of my own, after cycling the unit through resets enough times (reset button, and power switch) I got the "Firmware unsuccessfull..." screen, then promptly did igorsk's flash and now the unit boots with the PRS-505 firmware. When trying to load the PRS-300 firmware, I press 6... and get a Charge the Battery message even though i'm at 74%. I suppose I will charge to a 100% and do this again.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:51 AM   #15
polvadis

Last Update:

While charging, I removed the 70mb PDF just in case that was the reason for my initial firmware flash failure. After charging I was able to run the PRS-300 flash again and I'm now good to go, with the clock and all.

Even though I somehow got this working on my own with the help of this and other threads on this forum, explaining to myself what was going on through typing it 'out loud' helped hahaha. But I will now keep coming back for more Reader news.