Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-21-2009, 08:11 PM   #1
ritoroy
Enthusiast
ritoroy knows what's going on.ritoroy knows what's going on.ritoroy knows what's going on.ritoroy knows what's going on.ritoroy knows what's going on.ritoroy knows what's going on.ritoroy knows what's going on.ritoroy knows what's going on.ritoroy knows what's going on.ritoroy knows what's going on.ritoroy knows what's going on.

Device: Sony Reader
Upgraded PRS500 Stuck on Boot Screen

I received my PRS500 by UPS today, exactly a week after sending it in. As others have observed, everything was packed very well. Unfortunately, upon powering on the unit, it has been stuck on the "Starting up ..." screen for the last several hours. Trying to toggle the power switch and pressing the reset button on the rear has had no effect. I have sent an email to Sony Repair and am awaiting their reply, but in the meanwhile I was wondering if anybody else has had a similar experience after the upgrade and how it was resolved.
ritoroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:13 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritoroy View Post
I received my PRS500 by UPS today, exactly a week after sending it in. As others have observed, everything was packed very well. Unfortunately, upon powering on the unit, it has been stuck on the "Starting up ..." screen for the last several hours. Trying to toggle the power switch and pressing the reset button on the rear has had no effect. I have sent an email to Sony Repair and am awaiting their reply, but in the meanwhile I was wondering if anybody else has had a similar experience after the upgrade and how it was resolved.
When the 500 I had sent out came back, the battery was drained and needed to be charged. So I'm thinking yours may be the same way. Plug in the AC adapter and give it a charge. While it's plugged into the AC adapter, you should be able to boot it up and read away.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2009, 08:42 PM   #3
Scott_T
Groupie
Scott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500, Reb1100(dead)
Yup, prob needs a recharge. The update causes it to run down faster too for some reason I hope they fix.
Scott_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:10 PM   #4
ritoroy
Enthusiast
ritoroy knows what's going on.ritoroy knows what's going on.ritoroy knows what's going on.ritoroy knows what's going on.ritoroy knows what's going on.ritoroy knows what's going on.ritoroy knows what's going on.ritoroy knows what's going on.ritoroy knows what's going on.ritoroy knows what's going on.ritoroy knows what's going on.

Device: Sony Reader
You guys are the best-- charging the unit with the power cable fixed the problem! I was under the impression that this firmware upgrade finally allowed a power depleted PRS500 to be charged using the USB cable (much like the other Sony Reader family members), but I suppose I was misinformed. In any case, thank you so much for the prompt responses!
ritoroy is offline   Reply With Quote