Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-05-2009, 11:04 PM   #1
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Does the format matter?

Please bear with a newbie!

OK, so the Pocket Pro can handle a dozen different formats.

I see in the MR E-Books uploads list that many titles are uploaded in four formats.

Does the Pocket Pro owner care? Does he have a favorite?

Somewhere I read that txt is the worst for some reason, and that lit isn't much better. Why not?

I also get the impression that ePub is the favorite, and that given the choice, everyone will use that one for his Pocket Pro. Is that true?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:11 PM   #2
Mnementh
Groupie
Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
I personally prefer ePub or ereader on my current device, as I haven't received my pocket pro yet I can't really comment on which one will be better with the device. I can't really foresee any problems with either to be honest as I only read fiction novels which rarely have any pictures or diagrams in them and in my opinion (thought I'd better add that before someone comes in frothing at the mouth saying why either format bites a big fat one) both formats handle novels well.

Until the promised new firmware comes out with secure ereader support most of my purchases will probably be in ePub but when it does I'll just go with whichever one I can get cheapest.
Mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2009, 02:07 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
In ePub you get 5 fonts sizes and a landscape mode option. This is a new capability for the Hanlins, with a few rough edges that will likely be sorted out soon. It is already my favorite format for the Pocket Pro.

In MOBI you get 3 font sizes all in portrait mode, but you can add your own fonts (see I Love my first eReader, a Pocket Pro 5"). This is the most full featured of the Hanlin's formats.

The other format to try is FB2, which is using a 3rd completely different reader (CoolReader). It has 5 font sizes and landscape. This should also allow user-provided fonts, although I could not get this to work (as it does on my EZ Reader Basic). This isn't a common format in the upload section, but Calibre can convert many DRM-free formats to FB2.

I consider LIT and CHM to be un-usable on the Hanlins.

The TXT-like formats, TXT, PalmDOC, HTML, RTF, DOC, etcetera use a set of related readers which are OK but not as good as the ePub, MOBI, FB2 readers.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 02:39 AM   #4
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks wallcraft. But what is it about the TXT-like formats that you consider them to be not as good as ePub?
Old 09-06-2009, 03:05 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Text files have no formatting. No bold, no italics, no centred text, no hyperlinks, no table of contents. No anything except, well, text.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2009, 09:12 AM   #6
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
The nice thing about the EZ-Reader and Pocket Pro is that it supports so many formats that you can shift books (with Calibre) and compare them to find the one you like best.

So far my favorites are Mobi, Epub and FB2.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 12:45 PM   #7
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I hate to say it, but I agree with Wallcraft. .Lit format is all but unusable on the Hanlins. Even with a firmware upgrade (thank you Walter and Robert), they still will hang and freeze. I've had the best luck with .mobi, but just bought my first ePub book and will try it soon.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 02:18 PM   #8
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
I have a plethora of PDBs. Would it behoove me to convert these for FB2 or another format, or do you think this format will suffice?
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 02:28 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
I have a plethora of PDBs. Would it behoove me to convert these for FB2 or another format, or do you think this format will suffice?
PDB means absolutely nothing except these files are somehow connected to the Palm. Check the PDB for details on this extension. What format are you PDB's in? That is the important thing. Currently PDB's that are in PalmDOC format are read fine in this reader. PDB's can also be mobi format although they usually have PRC extension (another extension that really means nothing). There is no reason to convert PalmDOC (see the wiki) to another format as they are read fine in this reader. If the files are really eReader files then support will be coming in the future but for now they will need to be converted.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 02:38 PM   #10
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm unsure really. How exactly can you tell whether it's PalmDOC, MOBI, or LIT?
Old 09-06-2009, 02:41 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm unsure really. How exactly can you tell whether it's PalmDOC, MOBI, or LIT?
Did you read the article in the wiki? It tells exactly how to tell. Open the file in a text editor and compare with the chart in the wiki. It is not LIT since this format is not supported on Palm devices.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:56 PM   #12
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?

I originally tried opening it in Word, which showed me nothing. Opening it in Notepad, however, showed me "PNRdPPrs".

The closest I found is eReader--PNPdPPrs, so I will assume that this is eReader format.

Could the Wiki have a mispelling or do you think my ebook has the error?
Old 09-06-2009, 03:16 PM   #13
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Opening it in Notepad, however, showed me "PNRdPPrs".

The closest I found is eReader--PNPdPPrs, so I will assume that this is eReader format.

The Wiki is wrong (I'll fix it), PNRdPPrs is eReader.

The Pocket Pro will eventually support eReader, but if you can't wait I suggest using Calibre to convert to ePub, or MOBI or FB2. If the ebooks have DRM, use ereader2html.py to strip the DRM and then then pass the HTML to Calibre.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 03:17 PM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I originally tried opening it in Word, which showed me nothing. Opening it in Notepad, however, showed me "PNRdPPrs".

I think the wiki has a misspelling or perhaps it changed. I will correct it. Thanks for the info. This is eReader format (Actually at one time called Peanut Press) which is where the original designation came from. Perhaps eReader folks changed the format name to PNRd from PNPd and I didn't notice

Word is a word processor, not a text editor which is why it didn't work properly to test the file type.

Dale
Old 09-06-2009, 03:19 PM   #15
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Text files have no formatting. No bold, no italics, no centred text, no hyperlinks, no table of contents. No anything except, well, text.
Thanks Harry. I'm beginning to get the picture.