Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 08:47 PM   #16
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
"A Beautiful Blue Death" by Charles Finch sounds fascinating, even, or especially, for a sci-fi fan.

.....IF.... it can be found (I haven't tried yet - MR tends to time me out if I go search for other things) IF it can be found for non-Kindle readers DRM Mobipocket is OK for me :-) Then I will third it and expand my reading horizons...

Phil
It is in the Kindle store, but I don't find it at Books on Board or Fictionwise.

BOb
Old 08-25-2009, 10:42 PM   #17
BeccaAnn
Groupie
BeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
For a more modern novel, I nomiate "One Grave Too Many" by Beverly Connor.
Here's the description of the book from her website: "Leaving a troubled past behind her, Diane is starting over as director of the RiverTrail Museum of Natural History in Georgia—until former love Detective Frank Duncan tracks her down. He needs her unique experience as a forensic anthropologist to examine a bone found in the woods. Diane can’t resist Frank’s request—on both a professional and personal level. Because the secrets of bones are in her blood—and their whispers offer a dead family’s only chance at justice…"

This book can be found at the Sony store, Amazon, and Books on Board. I didn't check any other places. And since it was only released as a paperback, the cost is under $8 (US).

Last edited by BeccaAnn; 08-26-2009 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Letting people know where to buy.
Advert
Old 08-26-2009, 01:03 AM   #18
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaAnn View Post
I nominate "Lady Molly of Scotland Yard", a collection of short stories.
Here's a blurb by HarryT from the BBeb/LRF edition here on MR: "Feisty, brilliant, and beautiful; precursor of the sleuth who relies on brains rather than brawn, Lady Molly, and her faithful sidekick and admiring chronicler Mary, began appearing in Orczy's entertaining stories years before the first Englishwoman did in fact become an officer of the law."
It's similar to "The Mysterious Affair at Styles" in that the one telling the story isn't the one who solves the mystery and that since this was written early 20th century, forensics isn't the focus for solving the case.
I'll second this one. I don't think I've ever read them.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:05 AM   #19
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It would be nice if people could provide a few links for where to get the books.

If "A Beautiful Blue Death" is Kindle-only, I don't think it should be nominated (though I would like to read it).
Old 08-26-2009, 03:00 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It can certainly be nominated, but a book that's not available for most of us isn't going to get many votes .
Advert
Old 08-26-2009, 11:23 AM   #21
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It can certainly be nominated, but a book that's not available for most of us isn't going to get many votes .
No, that's why it would be nice to have few links to places where the suggested book is available
Old 08-28-2009, 04:22 PM   #22
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok people, a whole week and we only have two books nominated...

Seems like support for this idea is really dying down. The 1984 discussion thread was really short too... I expected there is a TON to talk about in that book and the parallels to some things happening in today's society.

Anyway... do we go to poll with two books?

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 08-28-2009 at 04:39 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:38 PM   #23
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I'll second 'Lady Molly of Scotland Yard" - been meaning to read it for a while.

I'd also like to nominate ''The Winter Queen" by Boris Akunin - available from Fictionwise and elsewhere.

"Moscow, May 1876: What would cause a talented young student from a wealthy family to shoot himself in front of a promenading public in the Alexander Gardens? Decadence and boredom, most likely, is what the commander of the Criminal Investigation Division of the Moscow Police thinks, but still he finds it curious enough to send the newest member of the division, Erast Fandorin, a young man of irresistible charm, to the Alexander Gardens precinct for more information.
Fandorin is not satisfied with the conclusion that this is an open-and-shut case, nor with the preliminary detective work the precinct has done -- and for good reason: The bizarre and tragic suicide is soon connected to a clear case of murder, witnessed firsthand by Fandorin. There are many unresolved questions. Why, for instance, have both victims left their fortunes to an orphanage run by the English Lady Astair? And who is the beautiful "A.B.," whose signed photograph is found in the apparent suicide's apartment? Relying on his keen intuition, the eager sleuth plunges into an investigation that leads him across Europe, landing him at the deadly center of a terrorist conspiracy of worldwide proportions."
Old 08-28-2009, 05:35 PM   #24
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Boris Akunin is a bestselling author in Russia, and his books are quite good mysteries IMO.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:38 PM   #25
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Ok people, a whole week and we only have two books nominated...

Seems like support for this idea is really dying down. The 1984 discussion thread was really short too... I expected there is a TON to talk about in that book and the parallels to some things happening in today's society.

Anyway... do we go to poll with two books?

BOb
I totally missed that discussion thread! But we have had a lot more voters in the past few months. This is a tough category this month though.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:42 PM   #26
hike_gc
Zealot
hike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nook
How about Armadale by Wilie Collins? I really enjoyed Moonstone but have not read this one yet.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:38 PM   #27
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I totally missed that discussion thread! But we have had a lot more voters in the past few months. This is a tough category this month though.
Really... Mystery? There's tons of it... just like Horor which someone said was tough also.

BOb
Old 08-29-2009, 12:42 AM   #28
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I'm not sure if I should nominate a book I have read and loved, or one I want to read So I'll pick one of each and people can decide to second/third/whatever if they want to.

1) Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin (available at Fictionwise). Loved it. This was basically 'CSI set in 12th century Cambridge.' The main character is a female doctor who is essentially a coroner. She examines remains and tries to find out what happened to them. She is loaned by Rome (Italy has female doctors in the 12th century) to investigate a series of child murders in Cambridge. I read this earlier in the year and loved it. There is some early subterfuge where she tries to hide that it's her who is the doctor because England doesn't have woman doctors yet, but the core of the story is the mystery itself of who is the bad guy.

2) The Bicycle Shop Murders by Robert Burton Robinson. Downloaded this free from Feedbooks earlier in the year (it's not there now but it's 99 cents at Smashwords) and have not read it yet, but it looks interesting. The author synopsis says: Greg Tenorly lives a quiet and lonely life in a small East Texas town, until he is selected as a juror for a murder trial. A beautiful, mysterious redhead befriends him, and seems to have a romantic interest. But is she merely using him to influence the outcome of the trial? By the end of the first week, three people connected with the case are dead, and Greg is beginning to fear for his own life. He is now convinced that a powerful Dallas attorney is directing the murder spree in his little town. But why? He is determined to find out. But his investigation just might earn him a spot at the top of the hit list.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:45 AM   #29
hike_gc
Zealot
hike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enough

Mystery readers like what they like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Really... Mystery? There's tons of it... just like Horor which someone said was tough also.

BOb

In my experience, mystery readers are pretty specific with what they like within that genre. I personally prefer literary mysteries and would rather skip the violence and gore that comes with some mystery writers. If I want violence and gore, I can turn on the evening news.

Lately, I've been reading Lillian Jackson Braun. They are light, fun mysteries that put a smile on my face.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:49 AM   #30
hike_gc
Zealot

Sounds interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
1) Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin (available at Fictionwise). Loved it. This was basically 'CSI set in 12th century Cambridge.' The main character is a female doctor who is essentially a coroner. She examines remains and tries to find out what happened to them. She is loaned by Rome (Italy has female doctors in the 12th century) to investigate a series of child murders in Cambridge. I read this earlier in the year and loved it. There is some early subterfuge where she tries to hide that it's her who is the doctor because England doesn't have woman doctors yet, but the core of the story is the mystery itself of who is the bad guy.

This sounds good. I like historical fiction.
Closed Thread