Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-10-2009, 04:25 PM   #31
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do you think this dictionary support update will work with the 505 or just the 700?
For that, I think the question is whether they have developed any non-touchscreen-dependent dictionary functionality. If they have, then having it show up in the 505 is a possibility... if they have not, I would not expect them to spend extensive programming resources on an outdated device.

I just wish the bastards would open source the firmware, so that all the features they can't be bothered to provide for us, someone else could.

Speaking of which... has OpenInkpot basically given up on trying to support the PRS-505? The last time I tried to inquire in the appropriate subforum, I had only "I think development is stopped" responses from (I believe) non-project-members. (Seemingly having had my inquiry about Sony PRS-505 support overlooked or ignored by project members altogether?)

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:28 PM   #32
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
justification without a reasonable hyphenation scheme is simply atrocious. You're adding totally erratic wordspacing into the mix for the sake of having a "pretty" box of text. I like to read my books, not look at pretty boxes of text. And ... having ... random ..... white ... spaces .... between ....... the .... words ........ does ...... not ..... work ... towards .... the ..... goal .. of ..... readability. But if you think that's more pleasing to read, then more power to you.
Exactly.
I have tried to read a few lrx e-books that are available on Sony store for $0 and the layout is absolutely atrocious! And do not get me started at default serif font that is absolutely unsuitable for reading on a low resolution screen. Why couldn't they use Droid, or Caecilia or other heavily hinted slab serif that was designed specifically for small screens with low resolution. And 167 dpi is pathetic resolution from typographical point of view.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2009, 04:32 PM   #33
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
For that, I think the question is whether they have developed any non-touchscreen-dependent dictionary functionality. If they have, then having it show up in the 505 is a possibility... if they have not, I would not expect them to spend extensive programming resources on an outdated device.
If they plan to have dictionary support for the 300 then they will have a non-touch screen solution, however going back to support the 505 is something they might not want to since they no longer sell 505.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:33 PM   #34
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
I've said it before and I'll continue to say it till I'm blue in the face: justification without a reasonable hyphenation scheme is simply atrocious.
Does it depend on the font size?
I prefer full justification, but I use a small font.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:34 PM   #35
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
If they plan to have dictionary support for the 300 then they will have a non-touch screen solution, however going back to support the 505 is something they might not want to since they no longer sell 505.

=X=
Well... it's all about walking the fine line, I think.

They could offer big improvements for the 505, so long as it doesn't make it as good from a software perspective as the 300. (Which, of course, being smaller is not really in the same class anyways.)

It's the carte blanche cloning of software that I don't see from the 600 to the 700.

- Ahi
Advert
Old 08-10-2009, 04:38 PM   #36
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
They will probably announce that Zelda's Birthday is only a month away and that we should all be thinking about what we are going to get her. They also might unveil some suggestions.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:39 PM   #37
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Does it depend on the font size?
I prefer full justification, but I use a small font.
It depends on a myriad little things that a software/machine automation cannot consistently get right... but yes, having a smaller font size helps to get it right.

This page gives some limited insight into the difficulty of the problem.

- Ahi
Old 08-10-2009, 04:40 PM   #38
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
They will probably announce that Zelda's Birthday is only a month away and that we should all be thinking about what we are going to get her. They also might unveil some suggestions.
seems like a 600 would be a great pressie.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:44 PM   #39
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Thanks to ahi for answering the font size question.

And one more thing that I really truly wish they would add (assuming they announce an updated firmware) is a set of typefaces that have true italics and bolds. That would make reading lrx files that much less painful. Thankfully I can work around that issue with ePub, but Sony would gain a decent number of book sales from me if I found their default book format to at least be tolerable to look at.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:45 PM   #40
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
The dictionary support is not mentioned for PRS-300 so I doubt it will be made available for PRS-505. As for what else they'll announce, I'll throw in my idea: Sony eBook Store is going to switch to EPUB and possibly open in other countries (in addition or as replacement to Waterstone's and other such shops).
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:49 PM   #41
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
And one more thing that I really truly wish they would add (assuming they announce an updated firmware) is a set of typefaces that have true italics and bolds. That would make reading lrx files that much less painful. Thankfully I can work around that issue with ePub, but Sony would gain a decent number of book sales from me if I found their default book format to at least be tolerable to look at.
GOD yes ! that would be a huge improvement. i use my own fonts for all my files mainly because of that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
As for what else they'll announce, I'll throw in my idea: Sony eBook Store is going to switch to EPUB and possibly open in other countries (in addition or as replacement to Waterstone's and other such shops).
that wouldn't surprise me, haven't they been hinting about it recently anyway ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:49 PM   #42
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
No one promised any dictionary support for PRS-300, so the dictionary support for PRS-505, I am afraid, is out of the question. It's OK to dream, but I cannot see any incentive at all for Sony to come up with any firmware improvement for a two-year old device. Unless it's a small little fix that is just absolutely needed.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:20 PM   #43
mickitaz
Connoisseur
mickitaz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-505
Quote:
The moment they do that is the moment I go through my epubs and add a 'text-align: left;' line to all of them. I've said it before and I'll continue to say it till I'm blue in the face: justification without a reasonable hyphenation scheme is simply atrocious. You're adding totally erratic wordspacing into the mix for the sake of having a "pretty" box of text. I like to read my books, not look at pretty boxes of text. And ... having ... random ..... white ... spaces .... between ....... the .... words ........ does ...... not ..... work ... towards .... the ..... goal .. of ..... readability. But if you think that's more pleasing to read, then more power to you.
I second that notion. I personally try to refrain from purchasing ebooks from other sites for that main reason. I find the books on the Sony site are not formatted quite so poorly. Having the alignment feature on the new reader will expand my purchasing possibilities.
mickitaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:28 PM   #44
Tuna
Zealot
Tuna has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tuna has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tuna has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tuna has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cool-ER
They could announce that wireless support will be through a wireless enabled SD card, that can be used with any of the existing Sony readers with suitable firmware.

Technically possible, but I'm not sure a non-integrated solution would be Sony's style.
Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:38 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post

=X=
The specs for the 300 do not mention dictionary support.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote