Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-14-2012, 07:30 AM   #1
xxtraloud
Connoisseur
xxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheese

Device: DX
is the DR800 better than Iliad, any other alternatives?

I have been thinking of selling my Iliad and buy a DR 800. I am getting really tired of how slow the Iliad is. I am just using it for PDFs and even if the column function is quite nice it feels like using a piece of electronics from the 80s. Just so slow and sluggish. I was wondering if the DR 800 it is any faster and does a better job when browsing and managing files. I am just reading double column scientific publications. It also looks like it is lighter which for me it would be a big plus.

I do not see that many other alternatives aside from the pocketbooks but I really like how the 8.1 inch screen is a perfect compromise of portability and usability for PDFs.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by xxtraloud; 10-14-2012 at 05:03 PM.
xxtraloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
For your needs, the DR800 sounds like the perfect device if you can get it at a reasonable price, otherwise I would probably go for a pocketbook as well.
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
repods
Addict
repods is on a distinguished road

Device: irex DR-800S, M92S
Quote:
Originally Posted by fekhner View Post
For your needs, the DR800 sounds like the perfect device if you can get it at a reasonable price, otherwise I would probably go for a pocketbook as well.
don't fool him..
the dr800 is dead ... no more usable with pdfs
just buy a pb or a boox
repods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:17 PM   #4
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

It is not completely clear to me what you mean "no more useable with pdf's" ? The DR800 is dead for sure in the sense that there is no longer development for it, but concerning the intended use, reading of 2 column pdf's with this form factor and a fast boot time, plus good annotations on pdfs, relatively fast navigation of files, and with all the development that had been done in the past, it is in my opinion still an extremely good e-reader.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
xxtraloud
Connoisseur
xxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by fekhner View Post
It is not completely clear to me what you mean "no more useable with pdf's" ? The DR800 is dead for sure in the sense that there is no longer development for it, but concerning the intended use, reading of 2 column pdf's with this form factor and a fast boot time, plus good annotations on pdfs, relatively fast navigation of files, and with all the development that had been done in the past, it is in my opinion still an extremely good e-reader.
I like the form factor and weight. So the DR800 is superior on all the things you mentioned to the iliad? That's all I really need, but the iliad feels like a dinosaur.
Advert
Old 10-25-2012, 07:41 PM   #6
fekhner
Addict

It is, the form factor is great and the suspend, which makes it rather fast, is the reason one of the main developers switched from the illiad to the DR800. But then again, there are indeed newer readers, so all probably depends on the price you can get it for.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:33 PM   #7
xxtraloud
Connoisseur

I think I might have found the commercial version of the DR 800, the solid FX 8. I understand it is the same device but it is made for airplanes maps or something like that. Should I go ahead and buy it? Will I be able to still load the custom software that it is available on this message board?
Old 10-29-2012, 05:16 AM   #8
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I don't think it is worth the risk. My DR800 still works, but has several flaws. 2 small blemishes on the screen and every time the pen touches the screen part of the screen turns a medium dark brown. So when you buy one you are buying a 2 year-old product with no service, doesn't sound like a good idea to me. I love the size, love the concept, the 3rd-party add-ons. Keep using it if you have one, that makes sense, though.

And the battery life really sucks for e-ink.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:45 AM   #9
xxtraloud
Connoisseur

I bought it for $50. At the moment I can't afford $300 for a pocketbook.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #10
fekhner
Addict

If it works alright and you manage to install all the third party applications, I am convinced that you will have a very good e-reader.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #11
xxtraloud
Connoisseur

I will report back once I get it ;-)
Old 11-05-2012, 03:34 AM   #12
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxtraloud View Post
I bought it for $50. At the moment I can't afford $300 for a pocketbook.
You got a very good deal!
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:50 AM   #13
xxtraloud
Connoisseur

well unfortunately the owner tested it before sending it to me and it doesn't turn on. It seems rather odd. I have asked him if he is willing to sell it to me for cheap. Maybe it's a dead battery? What could it be?
Old 11-06-2012, 03:59 AM   #14
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Quote:
well unfortunately the owner tested it before sending it to me and it doesn't turn on. It seems rather odd. I have asked him if he is willing to sell it to me for cheap. Maybe it's a dead battery? What could it be?
Make him connect to the power for 1 hour, then press on button for 30 seconds.
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:34 AM   #15
MrWarper
Zealot
MrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it is

Device: I'm an iRex man: 8x DR1000S, 4x DR800SG, 4x DR800S
FX8 = DR800 + FXView

Quote:
[...]FX8[...] Will I be able to still load the custom software that it is available on this message board?
Definitely yes, you will. The FX8 is just a regular DR800 that comes with an extra custom application (FXView) to use Jeppesen navigation charts on the device. What's more, unless you're a pilot or something, it will be probably easier for you to get a DR800 WITHOUT their FXView application from them, and save money.
MrWarper is offline   Reply With Quote