Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-26-2009, 02:00 PM   #16
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Ah, it's good know (though not good for you) that I'm not the only one.
Are you running windows firewall? If so, turn it off, it probably doesn't allow outgoing connections via the SMTP email ports.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:00 PM   #17
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@Emmanuel, yes it was neccessary. You can always use the binary installer, which comes with python2.6
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2009, 02:04 PM   #18
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@daffy4u and Nate the great

Can one or both of you run the following command in a terminal

Code:
calibre-smtp from@whatever.com to@somethingelse.com "test email"
Replace from@... with your from address

and to@ with your to address
Nothing happens.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:09 PM   #19
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry I forgot to add -vv to the argument list, so it should be

Code:
calibre-smtp -vv from@whatever.com to@somethingelse.com "test email"
Old 03-26-2009, 02:11 PM   #20
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I goofed before. I did get the test email. It works fine from the command line
Advert
Old 03-26-2009, 02:12 PM   #21
Emmanuel
Emmanuel began at the beginning.

Device: cybook
Quote:
@Emmanuel, yes it was neccessary. You can always use the binary installer, which comes with python2.6
I tried, of cource, but I get the following error:

Extracting application files...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/tmp/init.py", line 39, in <module>
File "ExtensionLoader_PyQt4_QtCore.py", line 12, in <module>
ImportError: /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.8' not found (required by /usr/local/calibre/libglib-2.0.so.0)

the libraries you supply seem too recent as well....
Emmanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:16 PM   #22
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Hi all,

I finally got around to implementing the long promised email support in calibre. As of 0.5.3 you can click a button to mail books to your kindle and have calibre automatically mail downloaded news to it as well. The email support is not kindle specific, so you can use it to email yourself books as attachments and access them on any device that lets you read email and has an ebook viewer.

To set it up, start the preferences, go to "Email delivery", and type in a From email address (all emails sent by calibre will appear to come from this email address). Then just add as many To email address as you want and calibre will mail books to all of them. Once that's done, click the little arrow next to the Send to device button to actually email a book.

calibre will normally try to send mail to the destination address directly from the computer it is running on, but if this doesn't work (because the destination email service only accepts mail from "well known" mail servers), you can also have calibre use your mail server to send the mails.

Of course all these features are extremely beta, so YMMV.
YAY! I know what I am doing tonight! Hopefully all of the bugs will be worked out (thanks daffy)!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:17 PM   #23
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Sorry I forgot to add -vv to the argument list, so it should be

Code:
calibre-smtp -vv from@whatever.com to@somethingelse.com "test email"
I switched the target to my gmail account and it works fine, both command line and GUI.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:18 PM   #24
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I switched the target to my gmail account and it works fine, both command line and GUI.
Some email servers do not accept email messages from a "relay". This probably looks like a relay to various servers since your from address domain isn't correct for your IP address. (Or something.)

BOb
Old 03-26-2009, 02:20 PM   #25
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I goofed before. I did get the test email. It works fine from the command line
Hmm sounds like an issue with non blocking sockets. I'll upload a fixed build later today.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:22 PM   #26
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Turned off the firewall and got the same error message.

I tried the "calibre-smtp -vv from@whatever.com to@somethingelse.com "test email"" with a non-kindle address and got the following (I don't think my ISP likes Calibre)

Code:
C:\>calibre-smtp -vv debXXX@gmail.com XXX@XXX.com "test email"

connect: ('XXX.com.', 25)
connect: (25, 'XXX.com.')
reply: '220-gs23.inmotionhosting.com ESMTP Exim 4.69 #1 Thu, 26 Mar 2009 11:16:0
3 -0700 \r\n'
reply: '220-We do not authorize the use of this system to transport unsolicited,
 \r\n'
reply: '220 and/or bulk e-mail.\r\n'
reply: retcode (220); Msg: gs23.inmotionhosting.com ESMTP Exim 4.69 #1 Thu, 26 M
ar 2009 11:16:03 -0700
We do not authorize the use of this system to transport unsolicited,
and/or bulk e-mail.
connect: gs23.inmotionhosting.com ESMTP Exim 4.69 #1 Thu, 26 Mar 2009 11:16:03 -
We do not authorize the use of this system to transport unsolicited,
and/or bulk e-mail.
send: 'ehlo DebXXX-PC.myhome.westell.com\r\n'
reply: '250-gs23.inmotionhosting.com Hello DebXXX-PC.myhome.westell.com [1
73.51.211.76]\r\n'
reply: '250-SIZE 52428800\r\n'
reply: '250-PIPELINING\r\n'
reply: '250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN\r\n'
reply: '250-STARTTLS\r\n'
reply: '250 HELP\r\n'
reply: retcode (250); Msg: gs23.inmotionhosting.com Hello DebXXX-PC.myhome
.westell.com [173.51.211.76]
SIZE 52428800
PIPELINING
AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
STARTTLS
HELP
send: u'mail FROM:<debXXXe@gmail.com> size=386\r\n'
reply: '250 OK\r\n'
reply: retcode (250); Msg: OK
send: u'rcpt TO:<XXX@XXX.com>\r\n'
reply: '550-"JunkMail rejected - pool-173-51-211-76.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net\r\n
'
reply: '550-(DebXXXt-PC.myhome.westell.com) [173.51.211.76] is in an RBL, s
ee\r\n'
reply: '550 http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=173.51.211.76"\r\n'
reply: retcode (550); Msg: "JunkMail rejected - pool-173-51-211-76.lsanca.dsl-w.
verizon.net
(DebXXX-PC.myhome.westell.com) [173.51.211.76] is in an RBL, see
http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=173.51.211.76"
send: 'rset\r\n'
  File "smtp.py", line 67, in sendmail_direct
  File "smtplib.pyo", line 708, in sendmail
  File "smtplib.pyo", line 438, in rset
  File "smtplib.pyo", line 363, in docmd
  File "smtplib.pyo", line 340, in getreply
SMTPServerDisconnected: Connection unexpectedly closed

File "smtp.py", line 239, in <module>
  File "smtp.py", line 216, in main
  File "smtp.py", line 81, in sendmail
  File "smtp.py", line 73, in sendmail_direct
IOError: Failed to send mail: SMTPServerDisconnected('Connection unexpectedly closed',)
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:25 PM   #27
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I tried the "calibre-smtp -vv from@whatever.com to@somethingelse.com "test email"" with a non-kindle address and got the following (I don't think my ISP likes Calibre)

EEK! So your ISP is "assuming" that because you are sending email from your PC that your are sending bulk or unsolicited email. Nice of them to "assume" that you are doing bad stuff.

I think calibre is going to have to support using an external SMTP server that you can point to, such as your ISP's or other SMTP server.

BOb
Old 03-26-2009, 02:29 PM   #28
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This time I tried sending from a gmail to a yahoo account.

Code:
C:\>calibre-smtp -vv debXX@gmail.com debXXX@yahoo.com "test email"
connect: ('f.mx.mail.yahoo.com.', 25)
connect: (25, 'f.mx.mail.yahoo.com.')
reply: '553 Mail from 173.51.211.76 not allowed - [80]\r\n'
reply: retcode (553); Msg: Mail from 173.51.211.76 not allowed - [80]
connect: Mail from 173.51.211.76 not allowed - [80]
connect: ('g.mx.mail.yahoo.com.', 25)
connect: (25, 'g.mx.mail.yahoo.com.')
connect: ('a.mx.mail.yahoo.com.', 25)
connect: (25, 'a.mx.mail.yahoo.com.')
connect: ('b.mx.mail.yahoo.com.', 25)
connect: (25, 'b.mx.mail.yahoo.com.')
connect: ('c.mx.mail.yahoo.com.', 25)
connect: (25, 'c.mx.mail.yahoo.com.')
connect: ('d.mx.mail.yahoo.com.', 25)
connect: (25, 'd.mx.mail.yahoo.com.')
connect: ('e.mx.mail.yahoo.com.', 25)
connect: (25, 'e.mx.mail.yahoo.com.')
  File "smtp.py", line 67, in sendmail_direct
  File "smtplib.pyo", line 685, in sendmail
  File "smtplib.pyo", line 509, in ehlo_or_helo_if_needed
  File "smtplib.pyo", line 383, in ehlo
  File "smtplib.pyo", line 340, in getreply
SMTPServerDisconnected: Connection unexpectedly closed

File "smtp.py", line 239, in <module>
  File "smtp.py", line 216, in main
  File "smtp.py", line 81, in sendmail
  File "smtp.py", line 73, in sendmail_direct
IOError: Failed to send mail: SMTPServerDisconnected('Connection unexpectedly cl
osed',)
Old 03-26-2009, 02:31 PM   #29
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

I should correct something, it's not my ISP (Verizon) it's the service that hosts my website and personal email addresses that doesn't like Calibre.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:39 PM   #30
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
I should correct something, it's not my ISP (Verizon) it's the service that hosts my website and personal email addresses that doesn't like Calibre.
Try sending to your gmail account, gmail accepts mail from any computer, or you @kindle.com account, Amazon also accepts mail from any computer as long as it is From one of the registered email addresses.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 03-26-2009 at 02:42 PM.