Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-18-2009, 02:19 PM   #1
rahulm
Zealot
rahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: None
best fantasy/sci-fi ebooks for five bucks?

hey guys

i have 5.64$ credit from the sony store after buying dune, shogun and empress. can u guys recommend some for me?

thanks in advance

also, sorry for the poor typing. my kb went kaboom and i am using the ms virtual kb
rahulm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:56 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
See how much Legends I is. I'm reading Legends II right now. It's a collection of novellas from superstar SF/Fantasy authors.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2009, 05:10 PM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Dozens of good SF books for $0.00: http://www.baen.com/library/
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:42 PM   #4
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
A Game of Thrones, the first book of the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series by George R.R. Martin is $ 7.19 in the Sony store.

If you haven't read this one yet this is the book you MUST read !!!!
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:24 PM   #5
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

If you like cyberpunk you will never go wrong with Snow Crash, though I had to read it twice before I understood the whole thing, great read though and I liked it so much I grabbed the Audible version for travel and background chatter. Not sure it's a $5 book though. Callahan Chronicles by Spider Robinson is also a fun read and not sure if it's so much scifi vs. social commentary wrapped in a SciFi blanket.

Out of the ordinary is Jennifer Government, Pattern Recognition. I really enjoyed Spin as well as Daemon. In fact, if you can ignore some of the stuff Orson Scott Card spews on occasion the Ender's series has some good reads. Ender's Game is the first and a good read. The newest Ender in Exile is good too but sort of does not stand on it's own despite what OSC says about it.

Speaking of whack job authors, L. Ron Hubbard's Battlefield Earth (the novel not the movie) was a book I really enjoyed even though I thought I would hate it since it was "that Scientology guy" who wrote it. He was actually a good SF author, again politics and whacked outtedness aside.

Otherwise, it really depends on what you normally read and if you want to venture outside that genre or stay within it.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2009, 06:41 PM   #6
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
I'm not sure how much it costs, but Vellum by Hal Duncan is quite good. Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson is also very good.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:54 PM   #7
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhishStyx View Post
I'm not sure how much it costs, but Vellum by Hal Duncan is quite good. Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson is also very good.
If you read Vellum you have to read Ink also since Vellum is kind of half a book. I totally hated the 50 page or more info dump in Snow Crash so it kind of ruined the book for me.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:13 PM   #8
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
If you read Vellum you have to read Ink also since Vellum is kind of half a book. I totally hated the 50 page or more info dump in Snow Crash so it kind of ruined the book for me.
yeah, I know what you are saying. That is what put me off it the first time through. Maybe the 2nd read I was able to block out those protions? It is NOT a comfy read for many for sure. Still, once I got past that filler I really liked it a lot. I tried reading the sequel Diamond Age and never could get into it at all.

An author I really enjoy who is a combo of SciFi and detective pulp fiction is the Budayeen series by Alec Effinger but have yet to find any ebook versions other than Marid Changes His Mind (not a stand alone book really) beyond darknet and I am not one to use that option.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:26 PM   #9
rahulm
Zealot
rahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Just to be clear, I specified under 5 bucks just because I did not want to waste this credit I had.

I've already read all of the current Song of Ice and Fire books and am eagerly awaiting A Dance with Dragons. And Vellum and Ink sound pretty intriguing so I will definitely check that out. Snow Crash has been on my "books to read" list for years now, sadly I haven't gotten around to it.

Last edited by rahulm; 03-18-2009 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:19 PM   #10
snipenekkid
Banned

I understood $5 thing. But to be honest I looked through the Sony catalog and did not run across anything that I was familiar with and liked under $5 that was not just free. Red Mars for example is a fun read and free.

Not having any ereading device, let alone a Sony, do they not let you apply any remaining credit to a purchase and you pay the difference? That would be a really cheap trick for a company to pull though not uncommon.

Hope something stands out for you. I would just pull up the $5 & Under list then sort from highest to lowest and hunt for authors you might have heard of or wanted to try out. There could easily be some less well know works that are still good reads.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:19 AM   #11
rahulm
Zealot

"Not having any ereading device, let alone a Sony, do they not let you apply any remaining credit to a purchase and you pay the difference? That would be a really cheap trick for a company to pull though not uncommon."

That's what I am assuming. Gonna put a higher priced book in my cart and attempt to checkout with the credit to see what happens.

If it lets me pay the difference, I think I will spring for one of the titles suggested in this thread. Crossing my fingers...