Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-19-2009, 07:40 PM   #1
Seant018
Enthusiast
Seant018 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
To read and have read list

I was reading an interesting thread on Amazon about keeping a "have read" list on the user's Kindle, and I got to thinking, how practical is it to keep a "have read" list on an ebook device?

I could understand keeping a list of books you want to read, I usually write down 3 or 4 books I am looking for when I go to the bookstore, so it would only make sense (at least to me ) to keep a list of books I would want to read on my Kindle.

So, does anyone on Mobile Read keep a list of books they want to read and/or have read on their Kindle?
Seant018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:43 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I was thinking about making one for my Sony. Not sure if it'll be worth the effort though.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2009, 07:51 PM   #3
nelamvr6
Zealot
nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Oasis 2 (2017)
I don't know about keeping a list of "to read" and "have read" on the e-reader, but there are several web sites that provide that service. The one I use is called goodreads.com.

And of course, those e-readers that provide wireless connectivity would allow you to browse those sites to have access to your lists...
nelamvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:55 PM   #4
Seant018
Enthusiast

Yeah, I keep a "to read" list in one of my notebooks, and I have toyed with the idea about keeping one online/on my computer as well. I just thought it was interesting to read about the Kindle owners talking about keeping it on their Kindle.

I could understand keeping a "to read" list on a Kindle, that way I can just pull up the list of books I want to read, find one that sounds interesting at the moment, and then im off to buy it. However, I can't really understand keeping a "have read" list on the Kindle.

Edit: I love your Douglas Adams quote nelamvr6 :P
Old 02-19-2009, 09:26 PM   #5
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I put a small text file on my Kindle as a place to take notes. I then use the note function in Kindle to add notes to the text file. I can download the "My Clippings" file to my PC and use the notes that I had attached to the text file to either update the original or create a new file.

Note that I also create a note on the first page of every book I read on the Kindle. In this note I put the date that I started reading it and then when I finish the book, I update the note with the date that I finished reading it.

Another trick that I use is to create a text file with the names/orders of series books. As I read each book in the series, I create notes so that I can keep track of where I am in the series.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2009, 12:40 AM   #6
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
I keep a MS Word table to track ebooks that I've read and want to read so that when I download library ebooks I can checkout a series in order and so I don't download the same book twice. (I know - but I've done it!) Fortunately, Calibre tags solve several of these problems, but calibre doesn't allow for a "wish list" to keep track of books that you want to get in the future.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:50 AM   #7
deety
book geek
deety began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I'm another Goodreads user, and I've found that's a great site for finding book suggestions. The big bookstore closest to me has become a pretty frustrating place to shop, so I find myself doing more and more of my browsing online. I found GR a little more than a year ago and have become pretty addicted to it.
deety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:05 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hey all... LibraryThing member here. I keep meaning to sign up for goodreads to be able to compare but so far haven't.

But librarything also lets you tag books as read / toread. You can compare your library to others.. for example, how many books did you have in common with Ben Franklin or James Joyce?

Check out my library. (These are all my "have read" books). Well not everything I have read. Everything that was on my book shelf and many books I recall reading. I think of more all the time and keep adding them.

http://www.librarything.com/catalog/PilotBob

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:46 PM   #9
Seant018
Enthusiast

Doh, I completely forgot to mention Shelfari.com It is pretty similar, you post the book(s) you are reading, the books you have read, and the books you want to read.

Thanks for posting your list pilotbob, it is interesting to look through and get ideas for what I want to read I would post my list from Shelfari, but unfortunately I just haven't had the time to sit down and add all the books I have read... I should stop being lazy and do that one of these days.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:48 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seant018 View Post
Thanks for posting your list pilotbob, it is interesting to look through and get ideas for what I want to read I would post my list from Shelfari, but unfortunately I just haven't had the time to sit down and add all the books I have read... I should stop being lazy and do that one of these days.
Now that I've got all mine in I am trying to keep up with it. When I finish a book I nip over and add it. I also tag it with the month/year that I read it. I leave the book on my kindle until I have entered it... then once I have put it into LT I remove it from the Kindle.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote