Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-31-2016, 02:56 PM   #46
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
It looks gorgeous! So jealous! I can't wait to get my hands on one now.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 03:03 PM   #47
pagepack
Zealot
pagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
@pagepack I also have a PW2 currently. If it's not too much trouble could you post side by side shot of PW2 and A1 at similar font size? I know comparison pics are fraught with dangers but I'm bored
I'll have a go tomorrow. TBH, front light temperature/font weight is fixed on the pw2, not so on the Aura One. So not sure what it will achieve.
pagepack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2016, 03:33 PM   #48
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
copy from the "just preordered aura one" thread

Sorry, I don't know how to give a link to just one post in a thread, and hadn't noticed this new thread, so I copy here most of the post of my first impressions
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
First impression, opening it in the metro: beautiful, feels light and well balanced in my one-hand reading left hand, though small and very arthritic. I'll see how it goes after hours long reading.

It will feel strange without the patches though.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<version value="10.0.85385-DL.20140425" name="hobbes"/>

F/W version 3.20.6894 (2483e14f7a, 28/06/2016)

dictionaries: (initial weight is my kobo Glo HD, kept at 3.15.0 for dictionaries
French: 6.7 Mo => 3.5 Mo!
Deutsch: 6.5 => 4.7
English: 6.7 => 7.1
Spanish: 6.2 => 6.8
Italian: 9.3 => 2.6
the translation dictionaries for same languages unchanged

Menus
As said in one of the reviews, the menus are a mix of French and untranslated English. I'm adjusting parameters and "économie d'énergie et confidentialité" for instance doesn't make sense: there is nothing about confidentiality.

Also the screen turns violently pink without rhyme or reason - I'll turn anything automatic off.

I just noticed I have a June F/W, although the kobo apparently upgraded when I initialized it.

Just hope the light and menus will improve with a quick upgrade. While waiting for this I'll download just a few books and won't modify dictionaries or apply patches.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 04:11 PM   #49
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Well I'd like to say I've been on this board a long time and it seems to me this is the most excitement I've seen for a new device since dare I say the 1st aesthetically pleasing kindle???

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 05:35 PM   #50
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagepack View Post
Didn't bother with a cover. Can't see overdrive anywhere, had a quick look through the settings. Where would it be?
I can see it on mine.

What firmware version do you have?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2016, 05:39 PM   #51
pagepack
Zealot
pagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I can see it on mine.

What firmware version do you have?

An earlier version that was sent out for review.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:00 PM   #52
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:

An earlier version that was sent out for review.
I guess I'm not understanding what's the hang up on firmware version of a new device?

JJ
Old 08-31-2016, 06:06 PM   #53
dskag
Enthusiast
dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Well its here

Initial impressions? Great size and v. light and thin. I post back when its set up.
How do you have it already?! I pre-ordered from Rakuten/Kobo in Canada just after midnight EST Time on Aug. 30. (I'm on US East Coast). Anyone have any idea when they will ship? Can't wait to see it.

Last edited by dskag; 08-31-2016 at 06:26 PM.
dskag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:11 PM   #54
pagepack
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
I guess I'm not understanding what's the hang up on firmware version of a new device?

JJ
no idea. . Lovely to read on though.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:15 PM   #55
dskag
Enthusiast
dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.dskag solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Quote:
I was concerned. First time I turned on a Voyage, I thought, "no way, its going back", twice!! I know some folk cannot see colour shift, I can. I'm very happy.
I love my Kindle Voyage. I was lucky enough to get one with a perfect screen (and I'm VERY picky!) I plan to use my Kobo Aura One mostly at home and my Voyage for travel.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:26 PM   #56
pagepack
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dskag View Post
I love my Kindle Voyage. I was lucky enough to get one with a perfect screen (and I'm VERY picky!) I plan to use my Kobo Aura One mostly at home and my Voyage for travel.
Well we are two very picky folk, although seeing we are shelving out big money, good! Personally I give up after two Voyages (and one H2O).

I might give up all together after reading on my Aura One.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:33 PM   #57
dskag
Enthusiast

Quote:
Well we are two very picky folk, although seeing we are shelving out big money, good! Personally I give up after two Voyages (and one H2O).

I sent back two Oasis (Oases??). Screen was blotchy and yellow. I was very disappointed. Sent back one H2O for connectivity reasons. I have high hopes for the Aura One! Looks beautiful!
Old 08-31-2016, 06:40 PM   #58
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!

Quote:
no idea. . Lovely to read on though.
Same here....

JJ
Old 08-31-2016, 06:50 PM   #59
cerem0ny
Evangelist
cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:

I am also disastrously picky and the Oasis for me was had such terrible lighting that reading on it was a real distracting chore. Which was a shame as I loved the weight of device and thought it was a pretty neat bit of tech... but it looks like Kobo has hit this one out of the park! Maybe this is the One indeed - one Ereader to replace them all, one Ereader to bind them...!

One thing I loved about the Voyage was the text on it looked like it was floating, really popped out. Wasn't on the Oasis. Wonder if the Kobo is the same? Glad to hear that a bigger screen means more immersive reading - music to my ears!

According to tracking info my device hasn't even been scanned at the post office yet, even though I got an email confirming it being shipped yesterday... grrrrrrrrr!!!
cerem0ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:54 PM   #60
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Am I the only one who hasn't had their Chapters/Indigo pre-order shipped? I pre-ordered on the 29th.
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote