Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-11-2015, 10:57 AM   #1
dsullivan
dsullivan began at the beginning.

Device: Toshiba lap top
Calibre opens blank

Hi. I recently installed Calibre and at first it worked fine. It opened epubs with three columns, contents on the left, html (I think) in the middle, and clear text on the right. I didn't care about editing, since I had no problem editing my files stored in documents. I wanted only to view the documents that I had uploaded in Lulu and Smashwords.
I fiddled with it trying to get view only, and ended up with a mess. Now when I open a file from lulu or smashwords, calibre shows a blank page, no columns.Nothing I do seems to help.
Does anyone have an idea of what I may have done to mess it up, and how I might go about fixing it? I would truly appreciate any help. Thanks.
Sully
dsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:09 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the "Calibre" forum, which is where Calibre questions belong.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2015, 12:15 PM   #3
dsullivan

Thanks, new and still groping my way around. :-)
Old 06-11-2015, 01:30 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I am unsure of what you are talking about. Is this happening in the calibre editor (Edit E-Books) by any chance?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:11 PM   #5
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsullivan View Post
Hi. I recently installed Calibre and at first it worked fine. It opened epubs with three columns, contents on the left, html (I think) in the middle, and clear text on the right. I didn't care about editing, since I had no problem editing my files stored in documents. I wanted only to view the documents that I had uploaded in Lulu and Smashwords.
I fiddled with it trying to get view only, and ended up with a mess. Now when I open a file from lulu or smashwords, calibre shows a blank page, no columns.Nothing I do seems to help.
Does anyone have an idea of what I may have done to mess it up, and how I might go about fixing it? I would truly appreciate any help. Thanks.
Sully
Is this what you see?

bernie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_.png
Views:	204
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	139218  
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2015, 06:39 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
Is this what you see?

bernie
that is how I interpreted what the OP wrote, seemed as clear as crystal to me

@dsullivan - if it is, then check View->File Browser to get the left column back.

If you have given that function a keyboard shortcut it will act as a toggle - ie show and hide. By default it does not have a keyboard shortcut.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:34 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
If that is what the OP sees, it Looks like the Editor instead of the Viewer.

But IIRC that will not survive (always closes) between Calibre sessions

V View (the book)
T Tweak (edit the book)

Is it possible the OP has this FAQ issue
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....libre-is-blank
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:48 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
If that is what the OP sees, it Looks like the Editor instead of the Viewer.

But IIRC that will not survive (always closes) between Calibre sessions

V View (the book)
T Tweak (edit the book)

Is it possible the OP has this FAQ issue
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....libre-is-blank
I suspect you're right, the OP should be using the Viewer rather than Editor.

That said maybe the OP would be better off using ADE if it's just to get an idea of what the book is going to look like on an e-reader.

BTW - for me at least, the calibre editor has no problem persisting the window layout. I have File browser, Live CSS, and ToC tabbed in the left dock, Codeview in the main window and Preview in the right dock.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:03 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I suspect you're right, the OP should be using the Viewer rather than Editor.

That said maybe the OP would be better off using ADE if it's just to get an idea of what the book is going to look like on an e-reader.

BTW - for me at least, the calibre editor has no problem persisting the window layout. I have File browser, Live CSS, and ToC tabbed in the left dock, Codeview in the main window and Preview in the right dock.

BR
I run detached (on dual head. Old 4:3 in Portrait makes a perfect 600x800 preview )
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:54 AM   #10
dsullivan

My thanks to all! I'm now getting the same view as I started with. I don't want or need the editor, but I'll put up with it as long as I can get a view of my books in the right column. LOL I ain't gonna fiddle around with it any more and leave well enough alone. Again, my thanks to all for your comments/suggestions.
Sully