Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-27-2015, 06:55 AM   #886
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
Well the way this thread is going amazes me. People getting so dogmatic about fonts and trying to impose the view on other people?
It's only a font. Nobody died. If nobody else in the world used the font I like, it would make no difference to me.
Other people can (and will) do what they like, but I find that MS Chinese Surrogate on my PW1 has suited me fine ever since I discovered it. Nice and heavy but clean and neat at the same time and easy to read for someone without brilliant vision

Last edited by Ned; 06-27-2015 at 06:57 AM. Reason: typo
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:46 AM   #887
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
Other people can (and will) do what they like, but I find that MS Chinese Surrogate on my PW1 has suited me fine ever since I discovered it. Nice and heavy but clean and neat at the same time and easy to read for someone without brilliant vision
My google-fu is failing me on this one - I've tried MS Chinese Surrogate, MT Chinese Surrogate, and MT Chinese Surrogates, and most of what I'm finding is your posts here. I don't suppose you have a link? Thanks.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2015, 08:38 AM   #888
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
They are just MS fonts with chinese glyphs.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:43 AM   #889
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
If you want to use Microsoft fonts, just take them out of your fonts folder, convert them to ttf , add some weight and remove hints with Fontforge.

Constantia is particularly good.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:09 AM   #890
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
My K1 has one font. I think some folks head would have exploded at those "options.

Since my main issue with reading paperbacks at the time was tiny fonts and text often turning into the spines, it made it possible for me to read again.

I assume that font on the K1 is also caecilia.

What baffles me most though is someone making statements about a font and device they actually never had, never read on one and trying to tell me the font is bad to read on. Yet I read on it since 2008 and I read 100's a books a year.

I never fiddled with any of my devices, rooting or otherwise so I always had available what is on it.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2015, 10:21 AM   #891
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I think the PW1 has been upgraded to 5.6.x, so watch out if you haven't secured your jailbreak.

http://the-digital-reader.com/2015/0...v5-6-1-1-adds/

On another note, I do find it odd that Amazon has chosen not to include a bold version of caecilia in its fonts. Personally I dislike reading without it.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 10:24 AM   #892
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
Some people will find something to dislike about everything. It is just part of their make up.
The poster doesn't like the limited selection of fonts available on the Kindle. It is irrational to characterize him as a hater of all things.

Last edited by Rizla; 06-27-2015 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:46 AM   #893
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I think the PW1 has been upgraded to 5.6.x, so watch out if you haven't secured your jailbreak.

http://the-digital-reader.com/2015/0...v5-6-1-1-adds/
Or you could just read the thread right here at MR:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=262200
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 10:51 AM   #894
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Or you could just read the thread right here at MR:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=262200
Thanks. I didn't see that.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:30 AM   #895
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
My google-fu is failing me on this one - I've tried MS Chinese Surrogate, MT Chinese Surrogate, and MT Chinese Surrogates, and most of what I'm finding is your posts here. I don't suppose you have a link? Thanks.
Can't remember how I found it, but it was there on the Paperwhite as a hidden font - there was some trick to make a bunch of hidden fonts available that I can't for the life of me remember but I know I found it on this site.
I've had a look and can't find it - perhaps someone will remember.

It may have involved USE_ALT_FONTS ?

Last edited by Ned; 06-27-2015 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-27-2015, 12:09 PM   #896
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
Can't remember how I found it, but it was there on the Paperwhite as a hidden font - there was some trick to make a bunch of hidden fonts available that I can't for the life of me remember but I know I found it on this site.
I've had a look and can't find it - perhaps someone will remember.

It may have involved USE_ALT_FONTS ?
Yes, when it was still possible to use USE_ALT_FONTS on the PW1 that is when that font became visible. Some update (last year) disabled the USE_ALT_FONTS "hack". So if you want to keep all those hidden fonts available and uploading your own fonts to the PW1, then don't let it update to newest version.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 12:45 PM   #897
Ned
Ebook reader

Thanks DT, hadn't realised they stopped it.
I've not updated the FW on my PW1 for a very long time, so will make sure I don't
Old 07-17-2015, 11:36 AM   #898
mendesitba
Connoisseur
mendesitba began at the beginning.

Device: KPW, Ipad 2, Note 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Mendesitba--The "USE_ALT_FONTS" hack does not work with the 2nd generation PWS--and I'm pretty sure it won't work with the 1st generation PWs if you've updated the firmware in them.

The best way I've found to use alternate fonts for books on my PW is to embed the font into the book file using Calibre and then transfer the file to my PW. The embedded font becomes the publisher font under the font menu.

If your books have DRM, you'll have to strip that first before you can embed the font.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
The best way to handle custom fonts is of course to use the font hack.

That may be difficult on the PW2 because you need to be jailbroken -- in which case your only hope is as dordale said, embedding them in each book.

Thanks for the answer! I have tried this hack and it wasn't working. Now I know why!
mendesitba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 12:48 PM   #899
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have been working on a new test version of Charis SIL. Please have a look and let me know what you think. The new version is based on a newer version of Charis SIL. It has added weight, fixed metrics so it works well with Kobo & Kindle, and some kerning. Thanks.

Look for the last attachments in the thread for the latest test versions.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=184056
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 02:36 PM   #900
bnpssilva
Connoisseur
bnpssilva began at the beginning.

Device: KV, kOA2, KPW1, KPW2, KPW4,KT1, KT3, KT4,kOBOS, Nooks, PRS-T2
Please, how did you add weight to the font? What software have you used ?

Thank you in advance
bnpssilva is offline   Reply With Quote