Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-03-2012, 10:08 PM   #1
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Sleepcover and auto-sleep

I've been using my new sleepcover for my Glo for a few days now, and I noticed that when I put the device to sleep using the cover (just closing it while the Glo is still on), then wake it up by opening the cover (presumably after passing the amount of time I have set for auto-sleep), the device will go back to sleep after a short while (about a minute?)

Hard to notice for most people I'd imagine, but I use small fonts, and even so, it only happens when I get distracted by something during the first page, since once I touch the screen, the device will not go back to sleep on its own, until the prescribed auto-sleep time has elapsed from that time.

Is this happening for others? I imagine the problem will disappear if I turn auto-sleep off, but either way it's not a big deal, just wondering if this is normal behaviour.
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:47 PM   #2
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Yes, the same is happening to me, kobokobe. If I wake it up by opening the cover, it will go to sleep again very quickly. I've taken to tapping the screen to bring up the menu options, then tapping it again to exit so it doesn't go to sleep again quickly if I get interrupted while reading. That seems to solve the problem.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2012, 12:04 AM   #3
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanna View Post
Yes, the same is happening to me, kobokobe. If I wake it up by opening the cover, it will go to sleep again very quickly. I've taken to tapping the screen to bring up the menu options, then tapping it again to exit so it doesn't go to sleep again quickly if I get interrupted while reading. That seems to solve the problem.
Yea, I guess that's a fairly simple workaround. I unfortunately forget to do that every time.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:33 AM   #4
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
I haven't seen that with either the leather or PU covers. What's your auto sleep set to? Mine's at 30 minutes without any input.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:32 AM   #5
SeigneurAo
Connoisseur
SeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Kobo Glo
I've encountered the same problem, yes.
Although I didn't link its happening with my not touching the screen after waking up the device.
Thank you for the heads up.
SeigneurAo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2012, 10:58 AM   #6
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
No idea how it actually works, but I wonder if there isn't a separate timeout on the sleep cover that shuts it back off in a minute or something if there is no further input after waking. This would make some sense to be built in for when the cover got accidentally opened a little bit when it was not meant to be. When it's consistently happening shortly after opening the cover I don't think the sleep auto-timeout continuing would by coincidence end up being that short of time all the time.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #7
kobokobe
I am what I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
No idea how it actually works, but I wonder if there isn't a separate timeout on the sleep cover that shuts it back off in a minute or something if there is no further input after waking. This would make some sense to be built in for when the cover got accidentally opened a little bit when it was not meant to be. When it's consistently happening shortly after opening the cover I don't think the sleep auto-timeout continuing would by coincidence end up being that short of time all the time.
I've never considered this but it's an interesting point. I just assumed that it was an unintended error on Kobo's part, and the device simply does not register the opening of the cover as an "input," hence the Glo going to sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
I haven't seen that with either the leather or PU covers. What's your auto sleep set to? Mine's at 30 minutes without any input.
Mine is also set to 30 minutes.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:50 PM   #8
kobokobe
I am what I am

On second thought, considering how the Glo does not put itself to sleep if you open the cover before your auto-sleep time has elapsed, this is probably not an intentional feature put in by Kobo, but rather an oversight where the sleepcover feature conflicts with the auto-sleep function.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:12 AM   #9
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobokobe View Post
I've been using my new sleepcover for my Glo for a few days now, and I noticed that when I put the device to sleep using the cover (just closing it while the Glo is still on), then wake it up by opening the cover (presumably after passing the amount of time I have set for auto-sleep), the device will go back to sleep after a short while (about a minute?)

Hard to notice for most people I'd imagine, but I use small fonts, and even so, it only happens when I get distracted by something during the first page, since once I touch the screen, the device will not go back to sleep on its own, until the prescribed auto-sleep time has elapsed from that time.

Is this happening for others? I imagine the problem will disappear if I turn auto-sleep off, but either way it's not a big deal, just wondering if this is normal behaviour.
Seems to me if your using the sleep cover setting the sleep function to never might be the solution. Wont know till you try it.

REgards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote