Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Does lack of SD card support effect you're buying of the Nexus 7?
Yes, I'm not buying because of this. 101 41.91%
No, not a problem at all. 61 25.31%
I'm buying the 16GB because of this. 34 14.11%
I'm not in the market for a tablet, but I like to vote. 45 18.67%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-17-2012, 10:36 AM   #361
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Theoretically of course anything could be locked. The could lock down the firmware so nothing can run on it.
There is no need to run the provider's firmware if you have something better. XDA-Developers has has a tremendous amount of firmware to choose from for a variety of current smartphones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
They could make their datanet only pass traffic they approve of.
The FCC has severely frowned upon that sort of activity. Comcast
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:40 AM   #362
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
There is no need to run the provider's firmware if you have something better. XDA-Developers has has a tremendous amount of firmware to choose from for a variety of current smartphones.

The FCC has severely frowned upon that sort of activity. Comcast
I'm sure they can contrive some way to make a locked down system, with hardware encrypted phones running an OS that only barely qualifies as Android if they really wanted to. There is no FCC rule about requiring open device access to cellular nets as far as I know.

The point is, we're both saying yes, you can run a wifi hot spot on your Android phone without paying extra for the privilege. (Though you might end up paying extra for the increased data usage.)

I'm just not going to swear that there isn't SOME provider out there with some handsets that have effectively blocked it. I don't know them all.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2012, 12:18 PM   #363
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I DO NOT pay extra to use my phone as a WiFi hotspot. It is a built in capability of Android that I use, and I DO NOT need any permission from a carrier to do so. I have heard that some people actually pay the carrier to be able to that, but in reality the carrier has no real way to prevent an Android phone from doing that.
Sorry, I completely misunderstood you; you're talking about tethering, not connecting to somebody else's WiFi .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:30 PM   #364
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I do use my phone to tether with my tablet, but it has a limited data plan, the neat thing about the MiFi is unlimited data and up to 80Mb speed, in reality somewhere around 20~25Mb. Works fantastic even for streaming HD movies.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:19 PM   #365
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
I DO NOT pay extra to use my phone as a WiFi hotspot. It is a built in capability of Android that I use, and I DO NOT need any permission from a carrier to do so. I have heard that some people actually pay the carrier to be able to that, but in reality the carrier has no real way to prevent an Android phone from doing that.
Most carriers will charge you for it if they catch you using it as a hotspot. *shrug* Even so, you're still paying extra 'cos of the data usage.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2012, 02:27 PM   #366
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Most carriers will charge you for it if they catch you using it as a hotspot.
They certainly want you to think they will. But as to whether they will, or ever do, I'm not so sure.

Quote:
*shrug* Even so, you're still paying extra 'cos of the data usage.
Umm...no, not if he's not. If he's staying within the data usage limits of his plan, he's paying not a cent extra.
Stream Youtube videos to your handset 24 hours a day and you will run into overage fees, too, that does not mean that there is a cost for Youtube.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:51 PM   #367
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
Asus Memo 370T was supposed to have it all (hdmi, card, Tegra, high resolution etc) and at that price. I seriously hope Asus will still bring it to the market, hearsay is August but I really wonder, if they sold it to Google and had it stripped would they still introduce it? I would buy it in an instant. Nexus, no.
Just chiming in, there probably won't be a separate Memo 370T. The label on my Nexus 7 says ME 370T so I'm guessing this is what became of it. *sigh* Would've been nice if Asus did release one but I don't see it happening now.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #368
Brandon202000
Brandon202000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Brandon202000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Brandon202000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Brandon202000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Brandon202000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Brandon202000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Brandon202000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Brandon202000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Brandon202000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Brandon202000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Brandon202000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: SONY
I held off buying the Nexus 7 until I learned that you CAN use a USB memory stick with it. e-Cost sold (on one of their hot deal offers) a 64Gbyte stick for about $25.00. There is a great YouTube resource for learning how to do this. The poster's name is "Reverend Kyle"; his videos demonstrate how to root the Nexus 7 and use USB OTC to attach a memory stick.
Brandon202000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:59 AM   #369
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon202000 View Post
I held off buying the Nexus 7 until I learned that you CAN use a USB memory stick with it. e-Cost sold (on one of their hot deal offers) a 64Gbyte stick for about $25.00. There is a great YouTube resource for learning how to do this. The poster's name is "Reverend Kyle"; his videos demonstrate how to root the Nexus 7 and use USB OTC to attach a memory stick.
But why buy a device that you have to hack the firmware of in order to accomplish something that's a standard part of the o/s on virtually every other tablet? It seems ridiculous to me that this should be necessary.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:07 AM   #370
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But why buy a device that you have to hack the firmware of in order to accomplish something that's a standard part of the o/s on virtually every other tablet? It seems ridiculous to me that this should be necessary.
Because it is the best 7" tablet overall? And of course it is not a standard part on most sold tablets.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:11 AM   #371
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
You have to realize that some people love doing that. Overclocking, sector retreival, motherboard soldering, it's all part of the fun.

I guess people have an inert need to prove that they are smarter than the developers. Nothing wrong with that.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #372
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
You have to realize that some people love doing that. Overclocking, sector retreival, motherboard soldering, it's all part of the fun.

I guess people have an inert need to prove that they are smarter than the developers. Nothing wrong with that.
I understand that bit, and usually do a few of the software oriented changes myself. Sometimes it's for extra features, sometimes it's to get rid of unwanted features, but usually it is to feel in control of a device that I own.

I doubt that anyone does it to feel smarter than the developers though. Most modders are aware that the developer's hands are tied by management and marketing decisions. In the case of software mods it is usually adding a missing piece of software (e.g. a preexisting driver) or something has to be circumvented. Even in the case of hardware mods, most of the components are already there and simply need to be exposed.

For most people, HarryT's question is valid. For those who can modify their hardware, why not? It saves money and gets you features that wouldn't exist otherwise.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:57 PM   #373
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Hosting USB storage is neither "standard" nor rare in tablets--much less standard than uSD slots, certainly, but moreso than HDMI--and "hack the firmware" is a dramatic way of putting it. You're enabling access as the root user on a computing device and installing some software. A culture has developed where service providers and/or equipment manufacturers are acting as the IT department for individual consumers, and like any IT department they maintain the consistency they need to provide that service by limiting end users to a "client" account with limited privileges. If you want fine-grained control of any computer system, you will have to gain access to the root or admin account.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:48 AM   #374
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
After recently getting this I have no problem with the storage (sd card would have been nice though)

I currently have 8 films on mine and a few GB worth of music, so I would have plenty if away on holiday
my films are ripped using iphone format so average about 500MB each, perfectly acceptable to me on a screen this size

I have had to selectively put items on my iPhone/iPod so I see this as no difference (they do have bigger sizes but idea is the same)
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:09 PM   #375
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
I think that for the price it's a reasonable amount of storage, and it's got a lot of power. Only having a movie or two at a time doesn't really bother me considering the amount of money you save over a comparable device.
I have a 16GB Nexus 7 and it is not a problem at all. Love it!
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote