Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-06-2011, 06:54 PM   #31
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
It's now on sale for pre-order. Note they are now offering the $200 model but have dropped the disk space to 2GB.

Lenovo A1
=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:27 PM   #32
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
So what are the 10 preloaded apps? Good grief talk about half assed details!
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2011, 08:48 PM   #33
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Man, this is a long hard slog.
I just checked Amazon, and no tablet.

Little bitty steps all the way!!
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:57 PM   #34
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

1. The sale of the A1 on the Lenovo site is to Oct 12.
2. Estimated ship date is Oct 27.

The picture on the Lenovo site is one I saw 2 or 3 weeks ago and even made a page copy, and then it disappeared

Then as X said, they reduced the Storage to 2GB. They say hard drive, but I am pretty sure that they speak solid state drive. For this they want $199.

Earlier they were talking 8GB for $199 but not in the USA.
In the USA they were talking 16GB and 32GB (not mentioned now) and the 16GB was $249, the 32GB was $299.

I would never buy 2GB and put an SD card in though that might be cheaper than buying 16GB for $249.

I want to see what configuration Amazon will carry.
I assume that Lenovo will get the early adopters now, and then either on Oct 13, or Oct 28, 1 day after the dates they are citing, give the product to Amazon for mass sales.

Anyway, with 16GB at $249 the A1 compares to the Galaxy 5.0 WiFi 5 inch at $269 with 8GB and a release date at Amazon of Oct 16. It is already in my shopping cart.
[[I do worry that they seem to keep changing the size of the pixels on the Galaxy screen. I think it is 800x480 but 480x480 keeps popping up, thought I think that is for the 4.0 (4 inch version).

The decision tree is leafing out.

I am feeling much better. I don't mind making hard decisions when all the decisions feel good.

I am going to leave the Kindle Fire with those folks that want to live in Jeff Bezos's cloud, and good luck to them finding a WiFi spot to connect with that cloud.

Last edited by frahse; 10-07-2011 at 12:02 AM.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:28 AM   #35
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Looks like a nice little device. I like Lenovo.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2011, 08:59 AM   #36
dihao168
Banned
dihao168 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad2
i heard that is got a good battery life
dihao168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:42 AM   #37
frahse
occasional author

O.K.

I have had time to mull over the Lenovo A1 Ideapad and though I am waiting to see the configuration that will appear on Amazon with regards to internal memory and pricing, one thing has gnawed at my gut and I have seen a few of the writers on this kind of equipment also raising questions.

The Question is the Android Operating System.

Why GingerBread?
Why GingerBread?
Gingerbread was made for phones.

Why not HoneyComb which was made for 7" Tablets.

We are just about to see the introduction of IceCreamSandwich the next OS which will combine Gingerbread type stuff with Honeycomb type stuff, and yet Lenovo decided to go with what is most commonly a phone operating system: GingerBread.

Why oh why?

It gives me pause. It slides me toward the Galaxy 5.0.

On a different note, the Lenovo K1, a 10" tablet is going on sale at Best Buy for two days at 330USD. This is 120USD down.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/10...r-only-329-99/
Old 10-10-2011, 12:41 PM   #38
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks
emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: HTC Flyer; Kobo WiFi
It's now $229 for the 2GB and the ship date is Nov. 8 now. Which probably means they've taken a ton of orders and are now seeing how much money they can continue to squeeze out.

But that's been my dilemma, too. $200 for 2GB? Really? Granted, Lenovo tends to make good stuff, but does that balance out with the specs and price?
emilikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:56 PM   #39
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilikins View Post
It's now $229 for the 2GB and the ship date is Nov. 8 now. Which probably means they've taken a ton of orders and are now seeing how much money they can continue to squeeze out.

But that's been my dilemma, too. $200 for 2GB? Really? Granted, Lenovo tends to make good stuff, but does that balance out with the specs and price?
They're trying to push the $249 model, but $200 seems to be the magic number. First it was $200 at 8GB--before launch date was given. Then it was $200 for 2GB. Now they've pushed up the price $30 for the 2GB model. At that point it's worth paying $20 more to get 16GB.

As for worth, that's one own opinion. I will say that for me this is still a good deal and a better deal than the Kindle Fire.

With the Kindle file I get only Kindle services. With the A1 I get all of Googles and all of Amazon services.

From a hardware standpoint they are very similar. The fire has gorilla glass, the A1 has more memory, two cameras, GPS, bluetooth and an expandable memory slot.

=X=
Old 10-10-2011, 02:19 PM   #40
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
They're trying to push the $249 model, but $200 seems to be the magic number. First it was $200 at 8GB--before launch date was given. Then it was $200 for 2GB. Now they've pushed up the price $30 for the 2GB model. At that point it's worth paying $20 more to get 16GB.

As for worth, that's one own opinion. I will say that for me this is still a good deal and a better deal than the Kindle Fire.

With the Kindle file I get only Kindle services. With the A1 I get all of Googles and all of Amazon services.

From a hardware standpoint they are very similar. The fire has gorilla glass, the A1 has more memory, two cameras, GPS, bluetooth and an expandable memory slot.

=X=
The A1 is much better than the Fire, and when it gets to Amazon for the mass market, I believe it will be cheaper and/or have more memory.

Still you might want to also want to consider the Galaxy wifi 5.0 5" player. A little more portable and in landscape mode will be similar to the 7" tablets in portrait mode.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:41 PM   #41
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post

=X=
How do their CPUs compare?
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:33 PM   #42
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
How do their CPUs compare?
At the moment no body knows.

What is known is the Lenovo A1 has TI OMAP3633 1GHz / GPU* PowerVR SGX 530.

The Amazon Fire has a dual core TI chip but the speed is not known, nor is it known if the Fire comes with a GPU.

Some bloggers are speculating each chip is 1GHz and comes with a GPU but those are just unconfirmed speculation.

*GPU = Graphical processor(kind of like a graphics card for PC)
Old 10-10-2011, 08:50 PM   #43
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks
emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Yeah, and sadly, that trick is slowly working on me.

I can go cheaper, deal with a resistive screen (I'm fine, but I have to listen to the other half gripe whenever he nicks my toy), root it to get Market and other stuff, so maybe getting Market, Netflix, and Lenovo is worth the extra money. But the $200 8GB would've been just right. *dramatic sigh*
Old 10-11-2011, 03:31 AM   #44
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
I can go cheaper, deal with a resistive screen (I'm fine, but I have to listen to the other half gripe whenever he nicks my toy), root it to get Market and other stuff, so maybe getting Market, Netflix, and Lenovo is worth the extra money. But the $200 8GB would've been just right. *dramatic sigh*
In the end it all comes down to: what do you want to pay for the features you'll get... I gave up on the A1, too much promise, not enough facts and footage. We'll see in a month if I did the right thing or not

but at least I've been able to play with my new toy for 2 months already by then!

Quote:
(I'm fine, but I have to listen to the other half gripe whenever he nicks my toy)
Well, time for him to get his own toy if he gripes on yours!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:54 AM   #45
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks

He's got an iPad2 he gets to use from work and never uses it, says he can't really justify it, doesn't see the point, etc. But the moment I have a tablet, he has to play with it as well as tell me what I should've got instead. It's the classic case of not wanting it until he sees someone else with it. I guess my fiance is 4?

Drove him nuts when I locked the tablet and wouldn't tell him the password.

He's also the one who swore up and down I should get this Zenithink tablet that gets terrible reviews, but it was "a deal" that all these other dealsters were going nuts over on a deals forum.