Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-25-2011, 08:25 PM   #1
Arrghus
Zealot
Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle PW2; Nexus 5X
Confused about Metadata!

I was trying to work out how to add a custom metadata field to an eBook. This led me to searching on the internet for help, and stumbling across Sigil. I booted up this application and looked at the metadata of various books and was surprised to find that there are many more fields than what is shown in Calibre.

I want to be able to display and edit the original published date of my books, as well as the publication date of a particular edition (which is what is usually shown under 'Published').

How can I get these extra fields (such as 'Usage Rights' among others) that can be edited in Sigil to show up in Calibre? I'd MUCH rather do my editing directly within the program itsel! (Sigil is a little scary to the novice.)

Many thanks,
Thomas

EDIT:

I think I'm beginning to realise that Calibre isn't actually altering the metadata of my files at all - Calibre makes changes to the database but not the files themselves, right?

Another question: If I edit the metadata of a book in Calibre, can I revert back to the metadata stored in the file itself?

Last edited by Arrghus; 07-25-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Arrghus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:02 AM   #2
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrghus View Post
EDIT:

I think I'm beginning to realise that Calibre isn't actually altering the metadata of my files at all - Calibre makes changes to the database but not the files themselves, right?

Another question: If I edit the metadata of a book in Calibre, can I revert back to the metadata stored in the file itself?
Yes and no. The metadata in Calibre is in de metadata.db file (and the .opf files in the library), not in the books themselves. However, it gets copied to the books at some moments, such as when converting from one file format to another and when sending the file to a device (for some formats and not others, I think).

You can revert to the metadata in the book itself by using the Edit Metadata dialog (the Read Cover from File and Read Metadata from File buttons).
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2011, 05:04 AM   #3
MariekeG
MariekeG began at the beginning.

Device: Apple Ipad 2
I checked and changed all the writerdata of my (7.000!) books. First in Calibre and then in iTunes. I found out that this didn't result in anything. Someone advised me to look at Sigil and yes, that works. Only problem is that I have to open all my books one by one. Or am I wrong? Is there a possibility to change the megadata in Sigil in the same way as for instance in Calibre?
MariekeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:47 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If you change the metadata in Calibre and then (re)send the books to iTunes you should find that all the metadata changes show up (except perhaps for PDF which is a problem case).
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:57 AM   #5
Arrghus
Zealot
Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle PW2; Nexus 5X
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Yes and no. The metadata in Calibre is in de metadata.db file (and the .opf files in the library), not in the books themselves. However, it gets copied to the books at some moments, such as when converting from one file format to another and when sending the file to a device (for some formats and not others, I think).

You can revert to the metadata in the book itself by using the Edit Metadata dialog (the Read Cover from File and Read Metadata from File buttons).
Many thanks for your reply!

I am right in thinking then that when I send eBooks to my Sony Reader, for instance, the metadata of the books themselves are changed, but Calibre still keeps the original file intact (instead still storing metadata in its database file)?

I mainly work with EPUBs, by the way.
Arrghus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2011, 09:40 AM   #6
MariekeG
MariekeG began at the beginning.

Device: Apple Ipad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
If you change the metadata in Calibre and then (re)send the books to iTunes you should find that all the metadata changes show up (except perhaps for PDF which is a problem case).
I thought I did this and the metadata did change to the old data. But I'll try again.
MariekeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:05 AM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariekeG View Post
I thought I did this and the metadata did change to the old data. But I'll try again.
You might need to first delete them from the iTunes; sync to get them removed from the iBooks on the iPad; load iBooks to check they are gone; and then repeat the sending process to get the update to 'take' in iBooks.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:10 AM   #8
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrghus View Post
Many thanks for your reply!

I am right in thinking then that when I send eBooks to my Sony Reader, for instance, the metadata of the books themselves are changed, but Calibre still keeps the original file intact (instead still storing metadata in its database file)?

I mainly work with EPUBs, by the way.
Yes. For EPUBs, the Calibre metadata gets inserted in the file sent to the device. The library original is not updated in that case. If that is what you want, you must do an EPUB-to-EPUB conversion within Calibre.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:20 PM   #9
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Yes. For EPUBs, the Calibre metadata gets inserted in the file sent to the device. The library original is not updated in that case. If that is what you want, you must do an EPUB-to-EPUB conversion within Calibre.
With the modify epub plugin I think epub to epub conversion is no longer required and its way faster. Its still in beta but as far
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=134249
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote