Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-02-2011, 05:04 PM   #1
Joyful
Connoisseur
Joyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kobo
kobobooks.com Problem using a gift card

I have a Chapters/Indigo gift card which I used on May 29 successfully.
2 days later it wouldn't recognize the card so I opened a support ticket.
Received one reply on the 31st which was to ask me a question.
2 days later and no other responses so I phoned Kobo.

They can't understand why this is happening and are sending my ticket on to level 2 support.
Level 1 support suggested this may be a Chapters issue and to check with them if there was any balance on the card.
I did and there is - $85.

Of course Tech Level 2 support doesn't work on the weekends and I'm told probably won't get to my issue until tomorrow so I'm thinking it's going to 6-7 days minimum to get this issue resolved.

I wanted to buy a few books this week before I go away.
I'm beyond frustrated and very disappointed in Kobo support although I have to say the Level 1 guys that I spoke with were both very patient and polite and as helpful as I guess they could be.

Thanks for letting me vent. I feel better now.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Joyful
Joyful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:16 PM   #2
coinín
dust bunny
coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Sony PRS-650, BlackBerry PlayBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful View Post
I have a Chapters/Indigo gift card which I used on May 29 successfully.
2 days later it wouldn't recognize the card so I opened a support ticket.
Received one reply on the 31st which was to ask me a question.
2 days later and no other responses so I phoned Kobo.

They can't understand why this is happening and are sending my ticket on to level 2 support.
Level 1 support suggested this may be a Chapters issue and to check with them if there was any balance on the card.
I did and there is - $85.

Of course Tech Level 2 support doesn't work on the weekends and I'm told probably won't get to my issue until tomorrow so I'm thinking it's going to 6-7 days minimum to get this issue resolved.

I wanted to buy a few books this week before I go away.
I'm beyond frustrated and very disappointed in Kobo support although I have to say the Level 1 guys that I spoke with were both very patient and polite and as helpful as I guess they could be.

Thanks for letting me vent. I feel better now.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Joyful
This might sound crazy...
but if you're using the desktop software, try using a browser.
If you're using a browser, try a different one.
Get a second pair of eyes (someone else's!) to proofread the card number. One small error = one big headache.

None of those things will take a lot of time/effort to try, and it just might work. I had trouble using a GC before, switched to Explorer (I normally use Firefox) and it was fine. It shouldn't matter, but it does.
coinín is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2011, 07:05 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Could you use the gift card on Chapters to buy a new electronic gift card, and then use that to buy eBooks?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:20 AM   #4
icedtea
elibrary love
icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, RIP Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by coinín View Post
If you're using a browser, try a different one.
Get a second pair of eyes (someone else's!) to proofread the card number.
I second this. I normally use chrome, but have had issues on a few occasions where switching to firefox worked.

With such a large balance, you'll be using this gift card a lot (since there is no cart function). Enter your gc number and pin into a text or word doc, and copy and paste for each transaction - it saves a lot of time.
icedtea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:15 AM   #5
Joyful
Connoisseur
Joyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kobo
Well, whatever the problem was it seems to be resolved.
I used my card twice with no problem. Kobo support have not commented on whether they did something at their end or not so I'm in the dark as to what happened.
I'm happy that I can buy books again to feed my reading addiction.

Quote:
Enter your gc number and pin into a text or word doc, and copy and paste for each transaction - it saves a lot of time
Yes, I do that with those very long license codes that come with some software programs. It saves a lot of frustration.
I entered the card number so often I know it by heart but firefox remembers it and offers it up completed in case I don't.
Joyful is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert