Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-18-2017, 08:29 PM   #1
fncll
Enthusiast
fncll began at the beginning.

Books Made With Sigil?

Is there a thread for sharing books made with Sigil? I'm kind of curious what people are making as I dive in trying to create my first book...
fncll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:25 AM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I don't think there is something specific to Sigil books...sigil is a tool (although a great one!) that people use to create ePubs. There is an ebook library (here) on MR that you can check out to see how people did their magic - whatever the tool they used!

Cheers,
Turtle91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 02:49 AM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fncll View Post
Is there a thread for sharing books made with Sigil? I'm kind of curious what people are making as I dive in trying to create my first book...
If you're looking for templates check out the books by GrannyGrump and Pynch in the epub Section of the MR library. Both use Sigil and their books are much better than many commercial books.

Edit: To search for them use BetterRed's instructions in this post.

Last edited by Doitsu; 01-20-2017 at 02:29 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:40 PM   #4
fncll
Enthusiast

I'm more just interested in poking around and seeing how other people do things. The problem with many epubs is that they are generated by tools that create terrible, spaghetti code, not unlike Microsoft Word HTML output or the like. So I was curious about people who are--umm--more "lovingly crafting" their books
Old 01-19-2017, 01:42 PM   #5
fncll
Enthusiast

And thanks for the pointers!
Old 01-19-2017, 02:56 PM   #6
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
If you're looking for templates check out the books by GrannyGrump and Pynch in the epub Section of the MR library. Both use Sigil and their books are much better than many commercial books.
GrannyGump is an artist!
Calenorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:14 PM   #7
AnselmD
Zealot
AnselmD began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
I would like to have a look, bit the links does not work for me.
AnselmD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:32 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnselmD View Post
I would like to have a look, bit the links does not work for me.
The search results cache probably got flushed - do this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	154316

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 03:59 AM   #9
faltradl
Guru
faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by fncll View Post
The problem with many epubs is that they are generated by tools that create terrible, spaghetti code,
More and more change to the Bookeditor of Calibre. But Calibre is also known for producing terrible code.

I began with Sigil an I will stay with it, because it doesn't do anything by it's own mind.
faltradl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 06:54 AM   #10
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by faltradl View Post
But Calibre is also known for producing terrible code.
IMHO, that assessment is a bit unfair. Kovid Goyal worked really hard to duplicate Sigil's functionality and even added a couple of features that Sigil is lacking.
The only tell-tale sign that Calibre Editor was used are the Calibre-specific metadata entries, which will be added regardless of whether they're needed or not and there doesn't seem to be any option to suppress them.

For example, Calibre Editor will always add:
Code:
    <dc:identifier opf:scheme="calibre" id="calibre_id">uuid</dc:identifier>
    <dc:contributor opf:file-as="calibre" opf:role="bkp">calibre (x.yyy.z) [https://calibre-ebook.com]</dc:contributor>
    <meta content="{}" name="calibre:author_link_map"/>
One might argue that the bkp metadata entry might help track down version specific bugs, but the other two entries usually aren't needed.

I personally also don't like the look & feel of Calibre and Calibre Editor, but when it comes down to the nitty-gritty technical details, Calibre Editor is pretty much on par with Sigil.

I.e., whether you use Sigil or Calibre Editor is largely a matter of personal preferences.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 07:05 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I agree with Doitsu. Don't confuse conversion with editing. Calbre's editor does a fine job of allowing a user to produce whatever code they like. In fact most tools--even Word--can produce fairly clean code when configured and used properly.

I'm ecstatic you guys like Sigil, but the fact is ... "spaghetti code" is usually the fault of the user, and not the tool. Ther's plenty of ways to produce simple, clean html from varoius wysiwyg word-procesing applications to be used in an epub editor of your choice.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote