Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-28-2014, 04:12 PM   #676
etc.Igor
etc.Igor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Note that if you try to download the same file again, and it's in your browser's cache, you'll get the version from the cache, not the original site, so if it's corrupted, it'll stay corrupted. Clear out your browser's cache, and then do the download again.
Thanks for answer but no result... Tried both Chrome and EExplorer.

Someone said: The updates fail if you make changes to various files on the root partition. I only used Kubrick's installer through USB-HDD. That's all.

Last edited by etc.Igor; 05-28-2014 at 04:19 PM.
etc.Igor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:19 PM   #677
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Check the logs to make sure (;dm in the search bar), but it probably won't be verbose enough to help on this issue, since it's pretty straightforward.

You'd need a shell access to shed more light on this, and if the updater is screwed, so are you, since you need it to install stuff .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:36 PM   #678
Thanks4Kubrick
Thanks4Kubrick began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 non-touch
Ixtab. Thank you for the fix. Your Kubrick OS worked (eventually). It took a few tries. The menu on the Kindle isn't extremely responsive and I overshot and put it in some other diagnostic mode. I restarted the entire process and your OS fixed my Kindle.

I saw the last screen requesting a donation to laosliteracyproject. I'll go there after this and look at it.

Situation:
Kindle 4.1.1 non-touch was stuck in a diagnostic mode. It wouldn't leave it. Sometimes it would let me poke around in diag mode other times it would freeze. The Kubrick fixed this.

Reason:
I watched a YT video were it said to copy the file called "DONT_HALT_ON_REPAIR" and rename it something to the effect of "ENABLE_DIAG". That caused my problem. After using Kubrick, I was able to dock it to Windows and see the files again, where I couldn't when it was bricked. I removed the ENABLE_DIAG. Everything is fine again.

So you wanted to know if it works. Well I thought it didn't at first but then it did.

Problems I had with Kubrick at the begining:
- at my win 7 work PC, I used LiLI to make a bootable USB of Kubrick. Kubrick froze on boot saying something about checking for CD and not finding or something.
- same thing at home on my Linux Mint 16 laptop
- did not bother on my win7 home pc. instead, I used Infrarecorder (sourceforge.net) to burn the .iso image to a CD.

- Kubrick CD into my Linux Mint 16 laptop worked.

Thanks again,
Bill
(Thanks4Kubrick account created just to thank you)
Thanks4Kubrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:22 AM   #679
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanks4Kubrick View Post
- - - -

Situation:
Kindle 4.1.1 non-touch was stuck in a diagnostic mode. It wouldn't leave it. Sometimes it would let me poke around in diag mode other times it would freeze. The Kubrick fixed this.

Reason:
I watched a YT video were it said to copy the file called "DONT_HALT_ON_REPAIR" and rename it something to the effect of "ENABLE_DIAG". That caused my problem.
Not a problem, the machine was doing exactly what you told it to do (by the presence of the "ENABLE_DIAG" mode file).

While in "diag mode" you could have wandered around until you hit the "export USB storage" selection -
selected that -
connected the USB cable to a PC -
then deleted the offending "ENABLE_DIAG" mode file.

That should have allowed you to reboot into normal operation.
Quote:
After using Kubrick, I was able to dock it to Windows and see the files again, where I couldn't when it was bricked. I removed the ENABLE_DIAG. Everything is fine again.

So you wanted to know if it works. Well I thought it didn't at first but then it did.

Problems I had with Kubrick at the begining:
- at my win 7 work PC, I used LiLI to make a bootable USB of Kubrick. Kubrick froze on boot saying something about checking for CD and not finding or something.
- same thing at home on my Linux Mint 16 laptop
Reads as if you missed the second part of the USB stick creation directions.
It is a two part process:
* Create the bootable stick.
* Add the Kubrick image to the just created bootable stick.

Quote:
- did not bother on my win7 home pc. instead, I used Infrarecorder (sourceforge.net) to burn the .iso image to a CD.

- Kubrick CD into my Linux Mint 16 laptop worked.

Thanks again,
Bill
(Thanks4Kubrick account created just to thank you)
Glad to hear that you found a combination that worked for that portion of the directions which you followed.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:42 AM   #680
etc.Igor

Is there any way to add 5.3.7 firmware into Kubrick's live CD???
Old 05-29-2014, 10:09 AM   #681
Thanks4Kubrick

bricked Kindle

Yes, I do have a problem with following directions. It is something that I struggle with. LiLi should've worked. Or I thought it would.

On my Win7 work PC when Kubrick failed to boot form the LiLi USB with Kubrick, it said that message about the CD or something then said "Type POWEROFF" to shutdown or if you have experience with Linux you can troubleshoot Autostart.sh (or something to that effect.). I forgot to note that the command line would not accept any input.

Same thing on my Linux Mint laptop, except the command line DID accept input; after the failed USB boot.

Either way, the CD worked. I'm sure I failed to do something right. I also know that it was in diagnostic mode because I told it to go there by adding that file "ENABLE_DIAG".

My problem was two fold:
1) I hit the x) exit push (right or left I forget), but it wouldn't exit.
2) It would freeze a lot in Diag Mode, failing to accept user input.

The root cause may be my failure to understand how to reenable the USB docking mode with Windows. Thank you for that information by the way. I tried docking it but did not (or was not able) to get it to do anything when it was frozen.

All in all, whatever the root cause or issue, I believe this utility saved my unit.

So HUGE thank you to anyone who worked on this project. I didn't do my research so I have no idea who to properly thank.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:11 AM   #682
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
- - - -
My problem was two fold:
1) I hit the x) exit push (right or left I forget), but it wouldn't exit.
2) It would freeze a lot in Diag Mode, failing to accept user input.
- - - -
There where firmware diags versions on the K3 that would not recognize the "exit" selection from the display.
The diags menu is repeated on the serial port, on that connection, it would recognize the "exit" selection.
(I own a K3 that is that way.)

There is a possibility that some of the K4's also had this problem.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:40 PM   #683
Thanks4Kubrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
There where firmware diags versions on the K3 that would not recognize the "exit" selection from the display.
The diags menu is repeated on the serial port, on that connection, it would recognize the "exit" selection.
(I own a K3 that is that way.)

There is a possibility that some of the K4's also had this problem.

Oh? ok. That makes sense to me. Also Kubrick flashed firmware for me. I wonder if that was the trigger that helped fix my unit. I'm so happy this exists. I now keep the cd with my kindle in it's protective cover.

...just in case I screw around with my Kindle again. I'd hope that I learned my lesson but I do like to tinker.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:39 PM   #684
etc.Igor

I've installed 5.0.0 firmware and tried to update to 5.1.0 and had the same 007 error, so lucky
Old 06-11-2014, 07:04 AM   #685
dovy
dovy began at the beginning.

Device: KINDLE
hey all,

i have a problem. i am using the Live CD for K3 from first post. once booted, im asked to put my device in downloader mode, i do all the instructions and have to assume i have done them right, as i dont see any physical change on kindle, no screen change, or led change.

thet it says successfully connected, wait 10-30 secs for this step to complete. however, this step is always done in 1-3 secs. next step says wait 1-3 hours, but it gets done in 3secs and i get the green 'flash success' message. clearly something is wrong as kindle did not change in any way and is still bricked. any help?

thanks
dovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:57 AM   #686
knc1
Going Viral

Possibly dead battery.
Put on wall charger (with known good USB cable), wait a day, try again, report back.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:14 AM   #687
dovy

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Possibly dead battery.
Put on wall charger (with known good USB cable), wait a day, try again, report back.
i have a mini usb htc cable that i know works for sure. is that compatible?
Old 06-13-2014, 08:50 AM   #688
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's a standard microUSB cable. Any such cable should work just fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:08 PM   #689
dovy

when i plug it in, i get orange led, but later it turns off. is that supposed to happen? reconnecting it turns led back on
Old 06-13-2014, 05:10 PM   #690
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dovy View Post
when i plug it in, i get orange led, but later it turns off. is that supposed to happen? reconnecting it turns led back on
Keep at it.
Meanwhile, start shopping for a new battery (I am pretty sure you will need one).