Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-17-2014, 09:50 AM   #1
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
Get three free months of unlimited e-books from Scribd

As found on the CNET Cheapskate blog (http://www.cnet.com/news/get-three-f...s-from-scribd/)

I've yet to try it, but with three months free I may

Quote:
Want to see what a "Netflix for e-books" might be like? Here's your chance to find out for a full 90 days.

by Rick Broida @cheapskateblog
April 17, 2014 5:30 AM PDT

Last October, Scribd joined the likes of Entitle and Oyster in offering an all-you-can-read, flat-rate subscription service -- a kind of "Netflix for e-books."

Normally it costs $8.99 per month, though you can try it free for 30 days. Now, however, thanks to a promotion with More Magazine, you can get a free Scribd subscription for three months .

Because I suspect some of you will object to this, let me state right up front that you'll need to provide a credit card (or PayPal account). I know: outrageous! But consider: Most other companies have the same requirement for a trial subscription, including Netflix, Hulu, Spotify...shall I go on?

The key thing to remember is your card won't be charged if you cancel within that free 90 days. Obviously Scribd hopes you won't, hence the extra trial bait.

The service currently touts some 300,000 books in its library. You can access any and all of them via your Web browser or Android or iOS device. Scribd also introduced a Kindle fire app a couple months back.

I'm keen to hear what you think of this. I'm all over the idea of unlimited e-books, especially if I can share an account with family members. But most of the subscription services I've tried (this one included) have too limited a selection. Indeed, it reminds me of the Kindle Lending Library that's included with Amazon Prime: not enough stuff worth reading.

But, hey, you've got 90 no-obligation days to plumb the depths of Scribd's catalog. Just remember to mark your calendar a few days ahead of the end so you remember to cancel. Unless, of course, you've fallen in love with it. Could happen.

Last edited by gabby98; 04-19-2014 at 03:23 AM.
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:30 AM   #2
semillon
Enthusiast
semillon is an endless font of wit and wisdomsemillon is an endless font of wit and wisdomsemillon is an endless font of wit and wisdomsemillon is an endless font of wit and wisdomsemillon is an endless font of wit and wisdomsemillon is an endless font of wit and wisdomsemillon is an endless font of wit and wisdomsemillon is an endless font of wit and wisdomsemillon is an endless font of wit and wisdomsemillon is an endless font of wit and wisdomsemillon is an endless font of wit and wisdom

Device: Kindle Touch, iPad
FWIW I have really enjoyed the service, & it has seriously reduced my ebook hoarding. Now before I buy a book just because it is $1.99 & I might want to read it one day, I check to see if it is on Scribd first. I haven't been sucked into the Avon romance sales in months. They have also added bookmarking, and dictionary support to the app in the past few weeks which has been nice.

If you are on the fence, you can browse the library before you even sign up.
semillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:32 AM   #3
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby98 View Post
As found on the CNET Cheapskate blog (http://www.cnet.com/news/get-three-f...s-from-scribd/)

comment from Rick Broida @cheapskateblog

Indeed, it reminds me of the Kindle Lending Library that's included with Amazon Prime: not enough stuff worth reading.

-end comment
To dart off at a tangent, this strikes me as a very odd comment. The Kindle Lending Library is huge and since you can only borrow one book a month you are unlikely to run out. Its problem IMO is poor value especially now the price has gone up.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:38 AM   #4
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Is there anyplace to see a text listing of their books? All I can access on their web site is slow-scrolling of cover art, and if what I see is all of their library, it's almost not even worth free (having to use a dedicated app is a pain).
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:30 AM   #5
semillon
Enthusiast
semillon is an endless font of wit and wisdomsemillon is an endless font of wit and wisdomsemillon is an endless font of wit and wisdomsemillon is an endless font of wit and wisdomsemillon is an endless font of wit and wisdomsemillon is an endless font of wit and wisdomsemillon is an endless font of wit and wisdomsemillon is an endless font of wit and wisdomsemillon is an endless font of wit and wisdomsemillon is an endless font of wit and wisdomsemillon is an endless font of wit and wisdom

Device: Kindle Touch, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
Is there anyplace to see a text listing of their books? All I can access on their web site is slow-scrolling of cover art, and if what I see is all of their library, it's almost not even worth free (having to use a dedicated app is a pain).
Here is a link to "Browse Books". This will allow you to browse by genre or search for specific titles, authors, or publishers. You should have access to the samples as well.

If you want to find it yourself, it is located at the bottom of the desktop site on the left side. On the mobile site, click the lines at the top left to activate a drop down menu. This will allow you to browse or search.

Hope this helps.
semillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:46 AM   #6
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by semillon View Post
Here is a link to "Browse Books". This will allow you to browse by genre or search for specific titles, authors, or publishers. You should have access to the samples as well.

If you want to find it yourself, it is located at the bottom of the desktop site on the left side. On the mobile site, click the lines at the top left to activate a drop down menu. This will allow you to browse or search.

Hope this helps.
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:52 AM   #7
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
I just installed the app and it has very large margins and double spacing with no way to change that I could find. I use a large font size so this gives me very little text per page. Not worth it even for free.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:30 PM   #8
Marbles
Zealot
Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.

Device: KoboTouch & Kobo Vox iPad2
This would be a great service if it could be used on Kobo or other such eReaders. You have to have a tablet or read on your computer to use this service.
Marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:36 PM   #9
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I just installed the app and it has very large margins and double spacing with no way to change that I could find. I use a large font size so this gives me very little text per page. Not worth it even for free.
Yes, and no way to indent paragraphs. And only two fonts. So I won't keep it beyond the trial.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:57 PM   #10
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Does anyone see how long we can keep the books?

And for me, being able to borrow more than one book at a time makes it way better than the Kindle library.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:03 PM   #11
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
Does anyone see how long we can keep the books?

And for me, being able to borrow more than one book at a time makes it way better than the Kindle library.
I can't find that info anywhere, but I would assume as long as you have a paid subscription you can keep it checked out.

They have a nice selection, I see a lot of scifi books that aren't available in my state's ebook library, but having to use a special app makes it unappealing to me.
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:16 PM   #12
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
for your reply.

I guess the app thing doesn't bother me. You have to use the Kindle app on anything except a Kindle, a Nook app on anything else - shrug.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:23 PM   #13
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
for your reply.

I guess the app thing doesn't bother me. You have to use the Kindle app on anything except a Kindle, a Nook app on anything else - shrug.
I don't like the app thing overall, but if there were options to make a book readable for me I might give it a shot anyway.

Kindle and Nook books can have the drm stripped so you can use a different app or device, but I don't think you can do that here.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:32 PM   #14
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbles View Post
This would be a great service if it could be used on Kobo or other such eReaders. You have to have a tablet or read on your computer to use this service.
Dealbreaker. I don't want to read on the computer screen, I don't own a tablet; my smartphone screen is too small to read on except in a pinch. Oh well.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:10 PM   #15
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
Quote:
I'm just picky about my reading app, I actually read everything in my Kindle app on my tablet. That may be because my first tablet was a Kindle Fire and so the Kindle app there was my baseline to go by. I've tried other reader apps and so far none of them satisfy me, the largest issue is the fonts available. I may still give Scribd's a try though, I'm just not optimistic about it with people reporting very few customization options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I don't like the app thing overall, but if there were options to make a book readable for me I might give it a shot anyway.

Kindle and Nook books can have the drm stripped so you can use a different app or device, but I don't think you can do that here.
I do that, I strip the DRM and convert if I have to and I already looked and could find nothing to strip the DRM from Scribd's stuff. It's probably because that would be too much like out-right piracy and not format shifting.
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote