Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-03-2013, 10:28 PM   #1
jackwoe
jackwoe began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Basic (613)
Question Spaces vs. kerning for laying out quotes and symbols?

Hi all,

I've read some threads here about using the various spaces in unicode to layout quotes and nested quotes in various languages.

Is that better and more supported than editing the kerning in a typeface and embed it with @font-face in the CSS?

Last edited by jackwoe; 06-03-2013 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Grammar.
jackwoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:40 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I prefer kerning, but not embedding the font.

Do not alter the book text adding specific spacing that will look nice in this or that font on this or that reader, but rather rely on the device's font rendering to do the right thing. Sure most devices will have a crappy font with no proper kerning, but that's not the book's fault. Personally, I edit my preferred font to fix kernings and upload it to my device, so I can use it for every book (without embedding).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
jackwoe
jackwoe began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Basic (613)
I was actually thinking of the French spacing for punctuation.

Unfortunately, I was unable to showcase language sensitive kerning. I don't know if I simply did it wrong, or if neither Firefox nor my ereader support it.

The idea was to embed a font with a negative kerning between   and ! and other punctuation for the French spacing rules, sensitive only when xml:lang="fr" is in effect.

But that's something I'll come back to later I suppose.
jackwoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:44 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwoe View Post
I was actually thinking of the French spacing for punctuation.
Oh, that... what a nightmare
In this case I'm more pragmatic and add thin non-breaking spaces where needed.

Quote:
The idea was to embed a font with a negative kerning between   and ! and other punctuation for the French spacing rules, sensitive only when xml:lang="fr" is in effect.
You can use language selectors in CSS and in ePub... but Adobe will ignore them. With OpenType you could add different set of rules (kernings, ligatures, etc.) to the font, and switch one or the other through CSS, at least in theory, I doubt support for this is quite extended. But anyway, that would require you to embed a font for the text, which is something you should think again several times before doing.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
The easiest method to get a narrow space is to shrink the font size for nbsp to the value you want using a span. All the other methods will be more complicated and less likely to work.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
@font-face, css, spaces, typeface, unicode