Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-30-2013, 12:49 PM   #16
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
I'd like to see pointless speculation done by people with a positive outlook for a change.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:58 PM   #17
K. Molen
Addict
K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 3, Nexus 10, Nexus 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
How about something simple, such as a user-replaceable battery? What are you going to do when your K3 battery dies?
Sure. If the K3 dies for any reason I'll be forced to upgrade. But I wouldn't upgrade prematurely just to get a user-replaceable battery.

That said, I've already looked into how I could go about replacing the battery myself, but I won't make a decision regarding that until I have to.
K. Molen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:33 PM   #18
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
What would I like to see? Children being taught to read but go ahead and call me a hopeless optimist. Or, perhaps call me an enemy of teachers' unions.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:42 PM   #19
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
An enemy of teachers is an enemy of students.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:16 PM   #20
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
I think the market for ereaders is just about dead.

Everyone is using apps on their phones and tablets.
I don't think it is. My hubby and I bought bought our first e-readers this month. I got a Kobo Mini and he got a Sony PRS-350, both for about $60 each.

We have three tablets in our house, a couple of laptops, iPhones, an iPod Touch, numerous gaming consoles... but none of those are as pleasant to read on as the e-Readers. Neither of us have used any of the tablets or LED screens for this purpose as we find they aren't as easy on the eyes as traditional paper. For the price point, we couldn't really NOT try the e-Readers out, and even though we *thought* we'd be returning one of them, each of us developed a liking for the different models, and both have stayed in the house. My hubby has already read more novels in the past 3 weeks than he has probably in the past year!

Plus, we're already eyeing some of the pricier options on the market.

So no, I don't think the market is DEAD, I think there are still folks out there who will eventually take the plunge, particularly with the lower cost of the devices now (you can choose from several for under $100).
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:11 PM   #21
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
I'd like to see pointless speculation done by people with a positive outlook for a change.
Perhaps it is a case of: we're happy with what we have. Sure we could ask for a lot of stuff: colour screens, higher refresh rates, as well as more sophisticated typesetting and layout. Not to mention the other ideas that people are bringing up. But would that sell more ereaders? I'm not so sure, simple because books are predominantly black and white, are static pages that we read one at a time, and don't depend upon typesetting or layout to a large degree.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:24 PM   #22
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I was always perfectly happy with my K2 US until I wasn't anymore. Poor little bugger never did a thing wrong. I still feel guilty at times about mothballing it.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:09 PM   #23
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by linereader View Post
Better resolutions I'd love to see this in the ~100ish price range. [/b]
I've never once looked at my Kindle screen and wished that it was higher resolution. Even the upgrade to the Paperwhite from the K3 didn't really make a huge difference to me, resolution wise.

Quote:
Bundling the case! A $2 item should never be optional.
$2? A good case costs more than $2 to make, even in Uzcheaplaborstan!

Quote:
Audio Still surprised companies like Sony take out audio support that was included in previous editions.
Since the Kindle (and presumably some other readers) sends back usage data, I'm quite certain that they had enough data to justify this decision. I strongly suspect that the vast majority of users never used the audio features (including me), so they realized that very few would miss them, thus an obvious cost cutting move.

Totally agree, though, on the nearly indestructible and fully sealed version, though I doubt that it's quite a simple as a few O-rings as you seemed to imply.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:28 PM   #24
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
What would I like to see? Children being taught to read but go ahead and call me a hopeless optimist. Or, perhaps call me an enemy of teachers' unions.
We've got some teachers' unions here in Texas that would *love* to be able to teach reading again.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:41 AM   #25
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I've never once looked at my Kindle screen and wished that it was higher resolution. Even the upgrade to the Paperwhite from the K3 didn't really make a huge difference to me, resolution wise.
I have, actually. When I switch my DX to the smallest font size, I can still read it fine, but I can also see that it's running out of pixels; the characters aren't smooth anymore. So I use the second smallest.

So hurry up already and start using that 9.7" 2400x1600 screen E-Ink sells, somebody!

I very much want to have a look at that new Kobo...
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:36 AM   #26
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
user-replaceable battery is my only tempt that would get me to replace my paperwhite. But then it would only happen if my paperwhite gave up the ghost. All I had ever dreamed of with the touch was light. The paperwhite gave me that, wish list closed.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:05 AM   #27
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Something has tempted me to buy another ebook reader. Price. £29 from B&N for the NOOK Simple Touch!

Too good to pass up to make access to my Fictionwise ebooks (now transferred to B&N) easier.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:13 PM   #28
theinfamousj
Groupie
theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (pink back)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
I think the market for ereaders is just about dead.

Everyone is using apps on their phones and tablets.
So, I was one of those people who scoffed at people with dedicated ereading devices. I had an app on my phone and couldn't understand the additional expenses of a one trick pony.

Then I went to Italy with my best friend (who brought her Nook) and my phone died a fiery hot death by wetting. She continued to read and I was kept from my books.

After returning state side and replacing my phone, the very next thing I bought was a Literati ereader (lcd screen; Kobo software; ebay for $15). That was my gateway and I now have an eInk Kobo WiFi.

So, don't count out the smart phone app users. Sometimes we just need to be shown the error of our ways.
theinfamousj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:25 PM   #29
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce View Post
user-replaceable battery is my only tempt that would get me to replace my paperwhite.
I would be infinitely grateful for a standard battery that reflects the needs of modern devices, then we can start talking about devices with user replaceable batteries.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:49 PM   #30
Avalona
Enthusiast
Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Fire 8 (2020)
More readers with buttons. That's pretty much the main one for me - I'm not a huge fan of touch screens, and it's nice to have the button alternative. I mean, I already have two with buttons (the T1 and Kindle Keyboard), but once/if those die, I fear I won't have button-y readers to replace them with if this trend of "all the touch screens, all the time!" keeps going on.
Avalona is offline   Reply With Quote