Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-04-2011, 08:18 PM   #1
hughes
Addict
hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Galaxy Nexus, iPad 1
Barnes & Noble to unveil new e-reader on May 24

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/bar...-24-2011-05-04
hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:13 PM   #2
RoxyJ
Junior Book Zombie
RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone, ipad
Wow, sounds close to when Kindle is rumoured to be releasing a new ereader. Coincidence?
RoxyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:18 PM   #3
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
B&N will have to be careful to ensure that these additional devices serve the purpose of building a strong Nook e-book buying community and aren't just an attempt to move low margin one time sale hardware devices. (Amazon is relentless in getting devices out there in as many hands as possible of those who will use it for reading Amazon e-books which is the only sustainable business model -- recurring, decent margin revenue.)

However, the B&N teaser released so far certainly sounds intriguing.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:24 PM   #4
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Some people are speculating that it'll be the Nook Color 2, but it seems too early for that. Maybe it's a Nook Classic refresh or a NC with 3G?
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:44 PM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Probably a new eink device. The NOOK is way past due for a cosmetic refresh. Hope it's touch screen.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:05 PM   #6
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
well B&N have registered a couple of names such as the Nook2 as well as “The Simple Touch Reader.” .. Qualcomm said their Mirasol e-reader will be out before summer and they are working with a "large well known company".

SO it's anyone's guess

For fun we should see who can get closest at guessing the name and features of the new device
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:17 PM   #7
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Probably a new eink device. The NOOK is way past due for a cosmetic refresh. Hope it's touch screen.
Same here. Full e-ink touch screen please!

I was planning to get a Sony 950... now I'm wondering if I should kick back 'n wait and see what BN might bring out. No guarantee I'd like it better than the Sony, but if it's only a month...

The other thought that occurred to me was some kind of less expensive LCD reader for KIDS... with parental controls and a separate children's ebook store linked to the device, so they wouldn't be exposed to the "racy" stuff. I've always thought that a product something like that could be a big hit with parents.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:21 PM   #8
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Hmmm, Mirasol could be fun!

BN certainly got people excited with the NC (not me, I'm an e-ink fan) so I'm curious as to what they'll do next.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:06 PM   #9
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
Same here. Full e-ink touch screen please!

I was planning to get a Sony 950... now I'm wondering if I should kick back 'n wait and see what BN might bring out. No guarantee I'd like it better than the Sony, but if it's only a month...

The other thought that occurred to me was some kind of less expensive LCD reader for KIDS... with parental controls and a separate children's ebook store linked to the device, so they wouldn't be exposed to the "racy" stuff. I've always thought that a product something like that could be a big hit with parents.
I like the kid's books that read to them - my 3yr old certainly loves them. But I hate handing my nook to her. I have to keep a careful eye on her, then!
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:12 AM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
From the article:

Quote:
Some eager and tech-savvy Nook Color owners had figured out a software "jailbreak" to make the tablet switch without any help from the company, but voided their warranties by doing so.
...he forgot to say that a simple un-root keeps your warranty intact
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:25 AM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by iandix View Post
For fun we should see who can get closest at guessing the name and features of the new device
I'm going with:
  • name = NOOKtwo
  • Pearl eInk
  • 6" touch display
  • 2 color options: black, white
  • no LCD panel
  • WiFi = $139
  • 3G = $189
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:55 AM   #12
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I'm going with:
  • name = NOOKtwo
  • Pearl eInk
  • 6" touch display
  • 2 color options: black, white
  • no LCD panel
  • WiFi = $139
  • 3G = $189
Sounds good, though maybe at a slightly lower price, just to tweak Amazon.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:07 AM   #13
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Sounds good, though maybe at a slightly lower price, just to tweak Amazon.
Yeah. Agreed. They'll go for a Sony-touch style route, I would think, to replace the LCD screen at the bottom.

Or - pipe dream - we get a color Mirasol Nook.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:27 AM   #14
carld
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
Yeah. Agreed. They'll go for a Sony-touch style route, I would think, to replace the LCD screen at the bottom.

Or - pipe dream - we get a color Mirasol Nook.
Well, Mirasol did say they were working with a major manufacturer. I assumed it was one of the lower level vendors, but maybe it's B&N. It'd be really interesting to see a Mirasol display on the market. I didn't really think the technology was ready yet, but who knows.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:37 AM   #15
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I hope it is an Eink device with no LCD touch screen. There needs to be a serious competitor to the Kindle.

From the article:

Quote:
... Nook tablets now command about a quarter of the e-book reader market, Barnes & Noble says, trailing only Amazon.com Inc.'s /quotes/comstock/15*!amzn/quotes/nls/amzn AMZN +0.77% Kindle, which analysts contend accounts for most of the remaining three quarters of the rapidly growing market.
By "Nook tablets", I take it they mean the Nook Color? I'm surprised the Nook (EInk) has so little market share.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote