Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 11-03-2010, 12:23 AM   #1
ebooker
Banned
ebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: sony prs-650!
need help w pagination/metadata post-scan

hi all -
so i spent the summer creating a wonderful "digitizing station" with the intention of converting my 1000 or so grad school books into e-books and going paperless (as much as possible anyway).

So I'm about to scan my first full book. I havent yet played with ebook editing software, and I've run into questions, hope you can help!

I'm basically taking jpg pics, running them thru abbyy OCR software, and out comes editable text either pdf or epub.

My (very noobie) question is:
--what happens to pagination? I'd love to retain the original pagination. Are there software tools (bookcreator? bookdesigner? sigil? etc)
--how about a book's metadata? Is there software that can retrieve a book's metadata from the internet, rather than my painfully typing in that for each one?

thanks for any suggestions! Just looking for pointers to the right program I need.

[EDIT: after poking around a bit, sounds like book creator is what I want... but if you have any other ideas of what I should be looking into, please let me know, thanks]

Last edited by ebooker; 11-03-2010 at 04:43 AM.
ebooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:01 PM   #2
hernep
Enthusiast
hernep began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Story, iPad 2
I haven't tried this yet but CSS has pagebreak commands:
http://www.javascriptkit.com/dhtmltu...agebreak.shtml

page-break-before:
page-break-after:

Something like this (in ePub):

<style>
.breakmypage { page-break-after : always; }
</style>

<span class="breakmypage">Page 99</span>

Pagebreaking might not look good on device since you can't be sure what font-size you will use. So eventually page breaking will not have the same (good) effect as in pbook.
hernep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert