Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-22-2014, 01:34 AM   #1
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
How to Download the Latest Kindle Reader for PC

Can anyone tell me how to download the latest Kindle Reader for PC? I tried to open my existing Kindle for PC a little while ago and got a dialog box telling me "This version of the Kindle application has expired and can no longer be used. Please update to a newer version [as if I had a choice]." I looked all over Amazon's website and couldn't find the information that I needed.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 02:04 AM   #2
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I kept looking around on Amazon's site and finally found the page that I needed: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=201245960.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:17 AM   #3
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Thanks for the link GtrsRGr8

Not the smartest way to go about this by Amazon! At the very least, they should provide a link to the download page in the expiration message!
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:38 PM   #4
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Yes, I thought that I would go ahead and leave my post up even after I found the answer, so that it be in the archives and might help some other forum members who were having the same problem.

I thought the same thing, too, about how Amazon should have provided a link to the download page!
Old 03-22-2014, 12:53 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Pretty easily found from Amazon's main page. Under the "Shop by Department" menu (left-hand side) is the "Apps and Resources" category where under the "Kindle Books and E-readers" subheading... is found a "Free Kindle Reading Apps" link. One click on the homepage and you're on the downloads page.

I agree a link in the warning message would have been appropriate, though.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-22-2014 at 01:04 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:26 AM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Or an auto-update.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:23 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Or an auto-update.
They have that. But many people disable it until they can get verification of what the new changes may entail before committing. Of course once a version expires, it's too late to re-enable the auto update.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-23-2014 at 08:37 AM.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:14 AM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)

Now I see it. I haven't looked at Kindle4PC in ages, so I probably forgot about this.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:32 PM   #9
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Not the smartest way to go about this by Amazon!
That's the understatement of the week.

First, they pop up a warning that the program is about to expire. No mention of when that will happen; no advice about how to deal with it; no link for downloading a new version.

Then, after it has actually expired, they pop another equally unhelpful message, and the program refuses to load.

And if you do succeed in figuring out where to download the new version, and you go ahead and install it, it still might not work at first. That's because the previous version is still loaded in memory after it issued the above warning (even though you can't see it). And that clashes with the new version that you are now trying to run. (You can easily get past that simply by exiting the program and then re-loading it, but how are you supposed to know that?)

As a software developer, I have designed and programmed numerous applications over the years. If they behaved as badly as this one, my clients would have ditched me years ago.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:59 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I just typed "Kindle for PC" into the search box at the top of the Amazon web site and it took me straight to it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:41 PM   #11
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I just typed "Kindle for PC" into the search box at the top of the Amazon web site and it took me straight to it.
To me, the point is that you shouldn't even have to do a search to re-install the program. I'm not a programmer, but to me, it would make sense for amazon to at least include a link directly to the download site of the new program in the dialog box stating that a new version needs to be installed.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:46 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I completely agree with you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:49 PM   #13
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, and so would I. But unfortunately there are many users who wouldn't have a clue about how to do that. In fact, I'll bet there are users out there who don't know the pogram is called "Kindle for PC" or that it comes from the Amazon site.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:00 PM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
In fact, I'll bet there are users out there who don't know the pogram is called "Kindle for PC" or that it comes from the Amazon site.

Mike
Horse manure. It didn't show up on their computer by magic. They had to download it from Amazon in the first place.

Look, there's two different issues being conflated here. One is that the "expiration" of the program could have been handled much, much better. I don't think anyone disagrees with that. The other is the suggestion that the download page for the software is hard to find on Amazon's site: which I believe to be patently false. If you are looking for it ... you will find it.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:15 PM   #15
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
If you are looking for it ... you will find it.
... or maybe not. I'm in the UK and found the so-called Help page easily enough. However, when I try to follow their 2-step instructions, step 1 has a link which gives the error 'We're sorry. The Web address you entered is not a functioning page on our site.' No further help is offered. Poor show, Amazon, I say.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle for pc