Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-23-2011, 06:31 PM   #1
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I want to merge short mobi book files into a mega mobi file

as you all know kindle slows down if you have too many books on it.

i have 4600.

please do not tell me to have fewer books on the kindle as that is not a solution i am looking for.

what i want to do is merge a lot of the smaller mobi files into a single mobi file but have a TOC for all the books that have been merged.this would mean i can access any book from the TOC at the start of this megabook.

i am not concerned too much with having a TOC for each mobi book only a TOC for all the books that have been merged.

the question is can calibre do this?

is there some kind of plugin that would allow this?

many of the book file i have have already been converted to mobi.
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:48 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post

No .
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2011, 08:58 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
what i want to do is merge a lot of the smaller mobi files into a single mobi file but have a TOC for all the books that have been merged.this would mean i can access any book from the TOC at the start of this megabook.
An interesting idea. I don't think there is any tool out there which will do this. I think the best manual way to do it would be to use MobiUnpack to get HTML from the Mobipocket books, and then merge all those files manuallly with a good text editor, and manually add a TOC for the whole omnibus edition yourself at the front.

Illustrations would need a little more care, to first give a unique path the the illustrations from each book.

I suppose even a script to automatically do all that, so that it's ready to be processed by KindleGen is possible. But I'm not drawn to write it.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:57 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
as you all know kindle slows down if you have too many books on it.

i have 4600.

please do not tell me to have fewer books on the kindle as that is not a solution i am looking for.

i am not concerned too much with having a TOC for each mobi book only a TOC for all the books that have been merged.

many of the book file i have have already been converted to mobi.

I suppose you could convert the books to EPUB, then ADD them together in Sigil.
Not automated, but gives you a chance to 'touch up' things as you go along.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:18 AM   #5
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I suppose you could convert the books to EPUB, then ADD them together in Sigil.
Not automated, but gives you a chance to 'touch up' things as you go along.
If you take this approach you should edit the individual EPUB files prior to attempting to combine them. The major issue will be the CSS files.

The best approach is probably to use Sigil to rename the CSS files in each of the individual EPUBs so that they all have unique names. That way when the individual HTML components of the EPUBs are merged they can reference their own CSS files (which will also need to be added to the mega-EPUB) avoiding conflicts.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2011, 11:04 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
If you take this approach you should edit the individual EPUB files prior to attempting to combine them. The major issue will be the CSS files.

The best approach is probably to use Sigil to rename the CSS files in each of the individual EPUBs so that they all have unique names. That way when the individual HTML components of the EPUBs are merged they can reference their own CSS files (which will also need to be added to the mega-EPUB) avoiding conflicts.
Actually, you need do no CSS work.
Sigil creates a separate CSS for each book imported (you can't turn it off,even if all books use the exact same CSS) renaming possible conflicts with existing CSS.
All you get is a slightly bigger file. (you can edit the reference in the book back to a common CSS if appropriate, and delete the extra CSS)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book, ebook, merge, mobi