Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-15-2021, 08:14 PM   #16
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
This caught my attention and the pricing is not too bad.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 08:16 PM   #17
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I think this isn't good enough for colour comics and Graphic novels: Too low res, too small, too washed out, too low contrast
Looks okay for comics to me in the video, though maybe the comic they used was cherry-picked. Colors okay for me, size is fine for me (I use a 7.8 Onyx to read comics). But yeah, I wouldn't shell out for it on this generation. But it's exciting they are coming. Comic reading will get more fun.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2021, 08:26 PM   #18
Crowriver
Groupie
Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many!
The bad news for people in the UK is that we are no longer in Europe, and AFAIK there are very few local suppliers of Pocketbook products. At the moment, given huge problems at customs at the UK border, I would not recommend buying any electronic products in small quantities from EU based sellers. Many couriers refuse to deliver to UK customers or parcels are held for weeks in warehouses awaiting customs checks. Which is very frustrating and sad, but there we are.
Crowriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 02:17 AM   #19
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowriver View Post
The bad news for people in the UK is that we are no longer in Europe, and AFAIK there are very few local suppliers of Pocketbook products. At the moment, given huge problems at customs at the UK border, I would not recommend buying any electronic products in small quantities from EU based sellers. Many couriers refuse to deliver to UK customers or parcels are held for weeks in warehouses awaiting customs checks. Which is very frustrating and sad, but there we are.
It almost seems like Brexit was a bad idea...
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 02:19 AM   #20
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I've been looking at the 6" variety for a while, but just don't want to go back to 6"... This one, however, sounds very nice! It's been a while since I bought a new reader, so, maybe it's now time
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2021, 06:15 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I've been looking at the 6" variety for a while, but just don't want to go back to 6"... This one, however, sounds very nice! It's been a while since I bought a new reader, so, maybe it's now time
Do you really want lo-res washed out color? When using color, you get 100DPI.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 07:50 AM   #22
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
THe UK isn't in Europe anymore? I think you mean that it's not in the EU any more.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 08:08 AM   #23
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
They didn't just announce it, you can already buy it (in Europe).
here's the news as it appeared on golem.de
https://www.golem.de/news/e-reader-p...02-154191.html
Quote:
The bad news for people in the UK is that we are no longer in Europe.
:P
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 09:31 AM   #24
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do you really want lo-res washed out color? When using color, you get 100DPI.
It looks ok from the very brief snippet in the marketing video. But I would definitely wait for unbiased video reviews.

EDIT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC3W_JY5zsQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BncHVWtmaI
poke 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGeXmFnbHCQ

Colors look okay on the poke 2 review, which I presume is same screen tech. I kind of like the pastel look. The low-def in color doesn't matter for comics. However, a book with text AND colored images would be affected. But for comics OR text it looks okay.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 02-16-2021 at 09:40 AM.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 02:57 PM   #25
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
The bad news for people in the UK is that we are no longer in Europe, and AFAIK there are very few local suppliers of Pocketbook products. ...
It looks like TechInn can deliver PocketBooks by next Monday or Tuesday in the U.K. (They don't, as of yet, have the 7.8" color PocketBook.)

https://www.techinn.com/en/pocketbook/4338/m
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 05:02 PM   #26
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
THe UK isn't in Europe anymore? I think you mean that it's not in the EU any more.
One night when I was in a hotel room in Glasgow, I turned on the TV. (This was close to a decade ago.) There was some British show on, talking about traveling to Europe.

But more on topic, I thought in Europe was meant as in Russia. But apparently not, and I could easily order the device if I wanted to.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 06:30 PM   #27
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
On Amazon € 369.17 + € 9.99 shipping cost here. One only seller until now.

I would like to know if the new Kaleido is so visible on the screen (like little points) as the Kaleido on the PB 633 Color. Now I am used to it and I'm not bothered by it but when I saw it it was the thing I liked least (I already knew about the colors not up to an LDC).

Last edited by ps67; 02-16-2021 at 06:37 PM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 07:38 PM   #28
Crowriver
Groupie
Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
It looks like TechInn can deliver PocketBooks by next Monday or Tuesday in the U.K. (They don't, as of yet, have the 7.8" color PocketBook.)

https://www.techinn.com/en/pocketbook/4338/m
In theory, sure.

However given the stories I'm hearing about customs delays, parcels going missing, I wouldn't risk it.

I ordered my Pocketbook Color (6") from Sotel in Germany no problems, but that was last year, when UK was still in the Single Market and Customs Union. I simply wouldn't do that now, given the likely delivery delays and costs...
Crowriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 01:36 AM   #29
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
In theory, sure.

However given the stories I'm hearing about customs delays, parcels going missing, I wouldn't risk it.

I ordered my Pocketbook Color (6") from Sotel in Germany no problems, but that was last year, when UK was still in the Single Market and Customs Union. I simply wouldn't do that now, given the likely delivery delays and costs...
Okay, For some reason I thought Techinn was based in England. Looks like it's Spain instead.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 07:43 AM   #30
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
One night when I was in a hotel room in Glasgow, I turned on the TV. (This was close to a decade ago.) There was some British show on, talking about traveling to Europe.

But more on topic, I thought in Europe was meant as in Russia. But apparently not, and I could easily order the device if I wanted to.
I flew into Croyden or some such place in about 2006. There was a big sign welcoming visitors from the EU, as if UK wasn't in it.

Queen Elizabeth I invented the idea of England being British. It's said being on the same side as France in WWI and WWII was unusual. UK is geographically a collection of islands off the mainland European coast. Scotland (historic links to Netherlands and France) thinks of itself as European. England, despite the Coup of William of Orange, rarely thinks of itself as European. It depends where you are or who you meet in N.I. or Wales.
Ireland certainly, despite being further away from the mainland, has thought of itself as European for maybe the last 500 years. Certainly it's possible even before Ireland a Nation was a concept (Ireland wasn't a Nation in the sense we think of it now even during the era of the High Kings).

Shipping to Ireland for years now has been about the same price from Germany as the UK. Finding German rather than UK suppliers used to be hard because most manufacturers, possibly since the 17th C., would only supply the Irish market via UK wholesale or UK retail.
Ferry traffic from Wales is halved and direct ferry traffic from the Europe mainland is up x6. In the 16th C. Galway was supplied by Spain and France, but England started enforcing direct trade from England and Wales via Dublin.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote