Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-26-2021, 07:14 PM   #4696
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
@OtinG: For the WiFi problems, I suggest configuring your router to always provide a fixed IP address to the devices that are causing problems. I've got a fairly messy WiFi setup here (two VPNs plus a mesh) and was having all sorts of drop out issues. Went into the router and assigned the FireTV Cube a fixed IP address and bound it to a specific router in the mesh. The problems went away.

(Yes, I know, it's not really a "fixed" IP address, but rather a static assignment on the router's DHCP server. )
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 07:21 AM   #4697
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
I'm not an audiophile nor expert. 5.1 is the closest I can come to define it without taking a darn paragraph or two. Close enough if you ask me, especially since the reviews I’ve read and seen tend to refer to it that way. But of course you can call it whatever you like. Technically it is probably somewhere between 2.1 and 5.1. But this is not the traditional "surround sound system" with front, side, and rear speakers housed in separate cabinets. And keep in mind that even headsets and earbuds these days can often provide 3D "surround" sound, including Dolby Atmos, and they are far from the traditional design of 5 or 7 speakers in separate cabinets. I think the old school nomenclature is no longer that accurate with the newer digital systems.
Physically, it has 3 sets of midranges, 2 facing left, 2 right, and 2 up. It has one tweeter facing forward. It has one 5.2" downward firing "woofer". In a 8.1 tall by 6.9 diameter enclosure.

From a sound perspective, I guess I would call it a 3.0 system. The tweeter handles all three directions. And the woofer handles bass for all three.

For what it is worth, I'm stuck on the .1. For example, my newest Echo has a 3" woofer and 2 1.1" tweeters. I wouldn't call this a 2.1 (or 1.1 system).

I'm also stuck on the 1 tweeter. Normal 3.0 audio would have at least 3 full ranges (at least midrange and higher) of audio. How would you simulate three channels of high frequency with 1 tweeter

And I don't believe traditional "stereo" is normally referred to as 2.1 (or 2.2) either.

But, call it whatever you like. The reviews appear positive, and you like the sound, so enjoy your speaker.

IMO, YMMV. And FWIW I am not an audiophile, so I may be completely off base.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 11:04 AM   #4698
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
@OtinG: For the WiFi problems, I suggest configuring your router to always provide a fixed IP address to the devices that are causing problems. I've got a fairly messy WiFi setup here (two VPNs plus a mesh) and was having all sorts of drop out issues. Went into the router and assigned the FireTV Cube a fixed IP address and bound it to a specific router in the mesh. The problems went away.

(Yes, I know, it's not really a "fixed" IP address, but rather a static assignment on the router's DHCP server. )
Thanks for the info.

I thought about too, but I'm not sure I can assign a static address to an ethernet connected device. The Fire TV Cube is wired via ethernet. I can certainly assign a static address to the Studio though, and will. I assigned static addresses to my security cams a few years ago, so at least I know how to do that.

The Cube is rather strange in its Settings. I noticed late last night that even with a wired ethernet connection I still have the option to turn on/off Wi-Fi, and it was turned on. For most devices once it is connected via ethernet the Wi-Fi settings get greyed out. So both were on, though it showed the actual connection to be through the ethernet. I'm not sure how active the Wi-Fi was or whether it was taking up bandwidth, but I turned it off. I'll check today to see if it helped any. At least the radio should be off now so less RF bouncing off the walls to cause issues.

I wish I knew more about networks. I know that if I could find which channels are cluttered and which are not used that much, I could set the Studio to a less used channel. But I have no idea if hardwired via ethernet uses channels or not, and if so whether I can change them too. I'll do some research and see what I can find. Unfortunately I have an old cable company issued Netgear router that I need to upgrade, but that will have to wait until after the first of the year. Everything seems to use Wi-Fi these days, including 8 LED smart-bulbs, 3 smart-plugs, and 4 security cams I have, so my list of devices on Wi-Fi is around 31 now, and that must be quite a traffic jam for that old router to handle! I only have 4 devices on ethernet, the rest are Wi-Fi connected.

Last edited by OtinG; 11-27-2021 at 11:07 AM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 11:50 AM   #4699
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Thanks for the info.

I thought about too, but I'm not sure I can assign a static address to an ethernet connected device.
You certainly can. Wired/wireless makes no difference there.

Quote:
But I have no idea if hardwired via ethernet uses channels or not,
Certainly not. Those are radio frequency channels for wireless. There is no corresponding concept for ethernet.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 12:39 PM   #4700
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
You certainly can. Wired/wireless makes no difference there.

Certainly not. Those are radio frequency channels for wireless. There is no corresponding concept for ethernet.
Thanks, that is what I thought.

I managed to track down the Echo Studio and Fire TV Cube in my Neatgear settings, assign static IP addresses for them, and give them meaningful names. The Fire TV Cube had absolutely no name at all, and the Echo Studio was named "amazon-55b231126" which was impossible to tell it from all the other Echo devices with similar nonsense names. I used their Mac addresses and current IP addresses to find them. I also assigned a static IP to my ATV 4K 2017 while I was in the Settings.

Interestingly the Mac address for the Fire TV Cube changed at least once after I started looking for the device, so couple that with no device name and I can see how the Studio might have had issues keeping track of the Cube! I noticed several other connected devices with no names. I need to go back in and assign meaningful names to all my devices so I know what they are at a glance. Hopefully this will resolve the flakiness I have been experiencing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	network-static-ip-and-device-names.jpg
Views:	3335
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	190480  
Old 11-27-2021, 02:18 PM   #4701
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Thanks, that is what I thought.

I managed to track down the Echo Studio and Fire TV Cube in my Neatgear settings, assign static IP addresses for them, and give them meaningful names. The Fire TV Cube had absolutely no name at all, and the Echo Studio was named "amazon-55b231126" which was impossible to tell it from all the other Echo devices with similar nonsense names. I used their Mac addresses and current IP addresses to find them. I also assigned a static IP to my ATV 4K 2017 while I was in the Settings.

Interestingly the Mac address for the Fire TV Cube changed at least once after I started looking for the device, so couple that with no device name and I can see how the Studio might have had issues keeping track of the Cube! I noticed several other connected devices with no names. I need to go back in and assign meaningful names to all my devices so I know what they are at a glance. Hopefully this will resolve the flakiness I have been experiencing.
You should report back if this solves it, but I certainly think it should help! And you really don't want both wired and wireless competing for primary on the Cube -- that alone could have been the issue. But assigning static IPs and meaningful names will certainly make life easier. And should help with the flakiness you've been experiencing.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 02:34 PM   #4702
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
You should report back if this solves it, but I certainly think it should help! And you really don't want both wired and wireless competing for primary on the Cube -- that alone could have been the issue. But assigning static IPs and meaningful names will certainly make life easier. And should help with the flakiness you've been experiencing.
I will.

So far it is working well. I re-watched an episode of “Clarkson’s Farm” which is in 4K and HDR10 and Dolby Digital Plus. I had major issues with it in the past when using the Studio and Cube in Home Theater mode, as in stuttering and black screens to the point of making it unwatchable. However today I watched the whole hour long episode with no issues!

I’m not sure why Amazon allowed the wired and wireless connections simultaneously. Likely a bug on their part, or just stupidity. I agree, that was probably a major part of the issue. I remember originally setting it up on Wi-Fi 5G, then a while later running an ethernet cable through the wall to get a wired connection. I just assumed as soon as I plugged in the ethernet cable the Wi-Fi would be disconnected, but apparently that didn’t happen and I didn’t notice it until today.
Old 11-27-2021, 09:48 PM   #4703
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
BTW, the correct terminology for assigning a fixed IP address through DHCP is called a reservation.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 10:46 PM   #4704
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
BTW, the correct terminology for assigning a fixed IP address through DHCP is called a reservation.
That makes sense. The attachment I used in post #4700 above has “Address Reservation” for the list of fixed IP addresses.
Old 11-28-2021, 07:57 AM   #4705
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I missed this announcement, a new Amazon Halo: Halo View.

Looks like it will be released December 8, and there is a a Cyber Monday deal.

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Halo-V.../dp/B08NCGKHKF
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 10:47 AM   #4706
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I missed this announcement, a new Amazon Halo: Halo View.

Looks like it will be released December 8, and there is a a Cyber Monday deal.

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Halo-V.../dp/B08NCGKHKF
I heard a few rumors in the past few months, but I wasn't sure if they were accurate. It certainly makes sense to put a screen on it. Too bad it is just like the others and centered mostly on fitness rather than health. I'm still waiting to find something that is more for the 60 and up crowd and emphasizes health tracking rather than just trying to be a Peloton type of device. My Garmin Vivo is in my face with fitness stuff, but makes me fish for the health tracking info, and doesn't really offer much beyond pulse and breathing rates. The sleep tracking is questionable since it is based on breathing rates which may or may not even be all that accurate.
Old 11-28-2021, 11:53 AM   #4707
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I heard a few rumors in the past few months, but I wasn't sure if they were accurate. It certainly makes sense to put a screen on it. Too bad it is just like the others and centered mostly on fitness rather than health. I'm still waiting to find something that is more for the 60 and up crowd and emphasizes health tracking rather than just trying to be a Peloton type of device. My Garmin Vivo is in my face with fitness stuff, but makes me fish for the health tracking info, and doesn't really offer much beyond pulse and breathing rates. The sleep tracking is questionable since it is based on breathing rates which may or may not even be all that accurate.
My G-Shock is all the fitness/health device I need. If I can read the time, I know I'm still alive
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 12:52 PM   #4708
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
My G-Shock is all the fitness/health device I need. If I can read the time, I know I'm still alive
No doubt! Star Trek had its Prime Objective. Mine is to wake up on the sunny side of the grass!
Old 11-28-2021, 12:57 PM   #4709
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
No doubt! Star Trek had its Prime Objective. Mine is to wake up on the sunny side of the grass!
Directive, dude. Prime Directive.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 01:55 PM   #4710
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Directive, dude. Prime Directive.
LOL. I’m certainly a fan of Star Trek ever since watching it as a kid in the 1960s, but never been a fanatic about it. But in my case it IS an OBJECTIVE and not a directive. So a play on words…