Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-26-2010, 02:42 PM   #1
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
PDF question about the flow

Hi

I was watching Erinath's you tube video on the PDF function earlier and have a few questions, as it got me a bit worried

I read fanfiction, which is mainly offered as a PDF, they are fiction PDF'S with the odd picture embeded. I am not worried about the picture.

I read them now on two Sony ereaders, the PRS505 and the Touch. On those machines the first time the PDF is opened it attempts to load it full page to screen, which is too small to read, but when I change the font size to say large, it resizes the words, sentences paragraphs etc, so it reads like a proper book. Is this called 'reflow'

I didn't see any sign of that on Erinath's video, in fact it looked like the sentence width could only be made big enough to read by turning the kindle landscape as the increase in font size did not restructure the sentences to fit the page size?

Is this how the kindle handles PDF's, if so its a real disapointment, and i so want not to be disapointed before it even gets here.

Or does anyone know if using Calibre to convert PDF's to Mobi will make them display more like my Sony displays them?

Thanks
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:05 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Hi

I was watching Erinath's you tube video on the PDF function earlier and have a few questions, as it got me a bit worried

I read fanfiction, which is mainly offered as a PDF, they are fiction PDF'S with the odd picture embeded. I am not worried about the picture.

I read them now on two Sony ereaders, the PRS505 and the Touch. On those machines the first time the PDF is opened it attempts to load it full page to screen, which is too small to read, but when I change the font size to say large, it resizes the words, sentences paragraphs etc, so it reads like a proper book. Is this called 'reflow'

I didn't see any sign of that on Erinath's video, in fact it looked like the sentence width could only be made big enough to read by turning the kindle landscape as the increase in font size did not restructure the sentences to fit the page size?

Is this how the kindle handles PDF's, if so its a real disapointment, and i so want not to be disapointed before it even gets here.

Or does anyone know if using Calibre to convert PDF's to Mobi will make them display more like my Sony displays them?

Thanks
Kindle does not do PDF reflow. Reflow is okay when it works, but if the PDF isn't properly tagged (many are not), it is not all that good. Maybe Amazon didn't like what they saw about how it works, or is saving this feature for a future update.

If reflow worked well on your sony, it will probably convert to Mobi just fine too (using Amazon's conversion or calibre's). Again, proper tagging is key. But I find landscape (which also trims margins) adequate for most letter sized PDF, and preferable to the work of retagging a PDF so it converts better, or suffering with a bad conversion.

Ideally, Amazon will get around to adding PDF reflow so we have more options.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2010, 04:03 PM   #3
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Thanks for your reply. I'll just play around and see how it all works when mine arrives
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote