Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-09-2010, 11:56 AM   #1
PSL
PSL began at the beginning.

Device: Sony900
Read Chinese books in Sony Reader PRS900 using Chinese Fonts

It may be useful references for reading other languages in other readers.

I finally succeeded to load Chinese fonts to my Sony PRS900 and used it to read Chinese epub files.
It took me a while due to my ignorance in many technical terms to fully understand the instructions in the web.
Here is my explanation:
First, the concept of how it works is:
1. Use boroda’s Russification method to hack the Sony Reader so that a Font directory is accessible to add Chinese fonts. See below.
2. Write a style sheet to point to where the modified Chinese fonts are. See below.
3. Use Modified English fonts, which include Chinese Characters in the modification, to replace the original fonts. See below.
Now here is the detailed process:

1. The boroda’s Russification can be obtained at:
http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12146
a. I download the version 1.50a
b. Extract it somewhere in your computer
c. At this point you have two choices: 1. Do the new fonts and style sheet at this time, and put or substitute all the style sheets (.css files) in the tocopy-epub directory. Substitute all the fonts in the tocopy-epub/FONT directory with the modified fonts. Or 2. Do the above afterward by reconnect the reader with USB and open My Computer penal and open the reader drive and you will find the epub and FONT sudirectories, where you can do the changes there later. See all the necessary files in procedure 2 and 3 below.
d. Turn off the UAC if using Vista or Windows 7. At My Computer penal run Help and search for UAC that will guide you.
e. Connect the reader with USB cable, and close reader library and other penal if they opened.
f. Open My Computer and take note what drive the Reader is used. Mark it down.
g. Open the downloaded folder and click flash_reader.bat
h. (Note that if somehow you want to revert the change, run reflash_reader.bat)
i. A Command penal opened, answer the reader drive question, it take a couple minutes to create the necessary folders and when you see Press any key to continue, do that and then disconnect the USB and the reader reboot twice. It is done.

2. As mentioned above a style sheet is created using Txt editor and name it: userStyle.css, Put the file into the epub directory as mentioned above. Inside the style sheet copy the following:

@font-face {
font-family: -ua-default;
src:url(res:///Data/epub/FONT/tt0011m_.ttf);
}

@font-face {
font-family: "sans-serif1";
src:url(res:///Data/epub/FONT/tt0003m_.ttf);
}

h1 {
font-family: sans-serif1, sans-serif;
}

3. Put three font files in the FONT directory:
tt0003m_.ttf (modified)
ttoo11m_.ttf (modified)
tt0419m_.ttf (undodified)

The modified files can be down loaded from
http://cid-bc90d6def7466f68.skydrive...%5E_PRS505.rar

the unmodified file can be downloaded from:
http://www.hi-pda.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=397115

4. After you do all above, load a Chinese epub file to your reader and test it out.
PSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:27 PM   #2
PSL
PSL began at the beginning.

Device: Sony900
anyone has used the above method, please let us know how it works? Any problem?
PSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2010, 12:46 AM   #3
poi
poi began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS900
Hello, thanks, it worked, we also used the same version following the instructions!
However, we have problem reading the book titles, which appear in 口口口口...can anyone help???
poi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:11 AM   #4
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I think this question would be better in the Sony Dev corner forum, since you want to hack the default system font.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chinese, epub, fonts, other languge, sony