Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-08-2010, 10:04 AM   #1
mos
Addict
mos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it is

Device: iphone 4, iPad, Nook softrooted
Any experiance with Kindle for iPhone?

I just found the Kindle App in the App store. Does anyone use this app already. Is it any good?

Thanks
mos
mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:42 AM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I have it. It's nice when I'm stuck in traffic and I need something to read. I use it for the freebies that I can't get for my Sony. Stanza is a better app for reading though I think.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2010, 12:02 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
If you have a Kindle, it is awesome for the Whispernet page-syncing feature.

If you don't have a Kindle, it is a pretty bare bones reader.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:07 AM   #4
rjfarrell
Zealot
rjfarrell doesn't litterrjfarrell doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Iphone, Ipad
Recently my desktop bricked, and was out for repair for 6 weeks. I had no way to get any books on my Sony 505. So I downloaded books on all 4 readers available for the iphone. B & N, Kindle, Stanza, kobobooks. I read on all of them at one time or another, but seemed to keep gravitating to the kindle, although the scrolling feature on the B&N was nice.

I found it vastly better and more enjoyable than I expected. I placed the book on a pillow on my lap, and with a tap of a finger, could turn the pages. I read a few books (from beginning to end) that way while waiting for my desktop issue to be resolved.

New computer in hand, and back to reading mainly on the Sony, but the iphone is a nice ebook reader for a fallback.
rjfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:56 AM   #5
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Downloaded it yesterday and reading my first books on it right now. Works really well for me - painless, seamless, wireless purchase and delivery of current fiction right to the device using your existing 'one-click' settings - what's not to like??

Not sure what other folks are finding in Stanza that they don't get in Kindle App, but it works fine here. The big draw for me is that it gives me access to the Kindle store, without needing a Kindle - we already have 3 e-ink devices in the house and don't need another! If the Amazon Kindle store for your locale has the titles you want, then it's a good way of getting them onto hardware you already own.

I also must just say that I have no problem reading on the iPhone, and find the white-on-black type particularly good for reading in the evenings/in bed.

So yes, big thumbs-up from me

Cheers, Pete.
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2010, 01:41 PM   #6
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post

Not sure what other folks are finding in Stanza that they don't get in Kindle App, but it works fine here.
hehe, glad you asked!
1) Stanza supports a wide range of user uploadable content, in various formats
2) Stanza has customizable navigation-for example, i can assign page forward to either or both the left and right zones on the screen. I set both to forward, so either hand can easily go forward.
3)Swipe goes forward or backwards, regardless-for those rare times I need to go backwards.
4) Stanza has a wide range of background settings, including my own customized page backgrounds I've made in photoshop.

Since Amazon actually owns Lexcycle, who makes Stanza, I can't wait for more or all of these features to show up in the Amazon app-or better yet, for Stanza to just get access to the Kindle store!
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:50 PM   #7
mikemck
Enthusiast
mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Kindle, Sony PRS 300, IPod Touch (Stanza)
I have both Stanza and the Kindle app, and much prefer Stanza.

I love the fact you can control the color and the dimness of the background, and with a bit of play with the settings, reading can be surprisingly comfortable.

I set my font on Trebuchet, my background color on Dark Grey, dim my screen depending on light conditions, and I'm good to go.

Works for me.

Mike

edit.....Sorry, my bad, I read the title too fast and thought experiences for both Stanza and Kindle were asked.

Last edited by mikemck; 01-09-2010 at 09:06 PM.
mikemck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:24 PM   #8
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
If you upload your own content to the Kindle device and then sync the iphone app, will your own content show up on the iPhone, or does the sync feature so your devices match up only work with content bought from Amazon?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:08 AM   #9
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I use both Kindle and Stanza on my "jailbroken" iphone 3g.

I use Kindle on iPhone mainly for reading enews fetched from Mobipocket software on my PC and uploading to my iPhone.

Stanza has better features, like swipe up/down to control screen brightness (it can really make the screen very dim for night reading), smaller waste margins, color choices, and great integration with Calibre via wifi. So I use Stanza for all novels, and non-enews content; though I can fetch several enews from Calibre and upload them to my phone; but it is not so convenient to delete old enews files from iPhone Stanza because I have to delete them one by one.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:35 PM   #10
LS650
Enthusiast
LS650 is on a distinguished road

Device: Android, Jetbook Lite
I have an iPod Touch, and have Stanza, Kindle and eReader apps. Each has its strengthes and weaknesses.

The main advantage of the Kindle app is that it can be used to buy and read protected books from the Amazon Kindle store that can't be easily opened with the other apps (obviously).

It has some real disadvantages though. I don't like the font typeface used, and a large amount of the screen's "real estate" is wasted on wide margins and wide paragraph gaps. I find it really annoying.

Stanza and eReader have a lot more flexibility when it comes to adjusting typeface, font size, white space, screen colours, etc.... but they can't be used (as far as I can figure, anyhow) to read Kindle downloads, and I've bought a couple of new release books recently that were only available from Kindle.
LS650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:55 PM   #11
ve0666
ve0666 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I have kindle, stanza, ereader, and now iceberg apps on my iphone. I like ereader, and stanza a lot but I love the kindle for the one click purchases in the kindle store. Also the kindle store has more free books and an easier search to find and narrow down choices. For Christmas I got the actual kindle and since then kindle has become the only ebook app that I use on my phone. I cannot say enough about the whispersync feature. Now I can read my books on the kindle during the day and save my iphone battery. Then at night while my phone is charging and I'm laying in bed I can continue my book where I left off. Love being able to do that! Now I'm working on getting all my ebooks transferred to my kindle so I can get rid of the other apps and always be in sync.
ve0666 is offline   Reply With Quote