Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-25-2009, 08:23 AM   #1
Aloreth
Aloreth began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Where can i get books from for my kindle (aprt from Amazon)

Hi there,

My dad got me a Kindle from Amazon for Christmas which is pretty awesome however unless i'm missing something the choice of books is terrible.

I had a look for my favorate books (at the moment) on the kindle store:
1) Pandoras Star (Peter Hamilton)
2) The Naked God (Peter Hamilton)
3) Enders Game (Orson Scott Card)
4) Anything by David or Lee Eddings
5) A darkness at sethanon (Ramond E Feist)

And found that.....nothing was available. I like the look of my kindle but as far as i can see, unless I want to get the latest new york best seller then i'm square out of luck. Can I purchase books from other e-retailors?

If not, can I return what is (as far as I can tell) a paperweight?
Aloreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 08:34 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Pandoras Star is available for the Kindle. But it may depend on where you live. So please go fill in where you live so we know how to properly help you.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2009, 08:40 AM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloreth View Post
Hi there,

My dad got me a Kindle from Amazon for Christmas which is pretty awesome however unless i'm missing something the choice of books is terrible.

I had a look for my favorate books (at the moment) on the kindle store:
1) Pandoras Star (Peter Hamilton)
2) The Naked God (Peter Hamilton)
3) Enders Game (Orson Scott Card)
4) Anything by David or Lee Eddings
5) A darkness at sethanon (Ramond E Feist)

And found that.....nothing was available. I like the look of my kindle but as far as i can see, unless I want to get the latest new york best seller then i'm square out of luck. Can I purchase books from other e-retailors?

If not, can I return what is (as far as I can tell) a paperweight?
Not every book is available as an ebook. It will take years to convert older titles. If it isn't available in the Kindle store, it's most likely not in ebook form yet (though that's not always true but mostly). Amazon is in year 2 of its 5 year plan to get all print titles into ebook form.

Also, some author's are not on board with ebooks and are holding them back.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 08:41 AM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, alorth

If you are in the US, here is the page for peter Hamilton. As you can see, both books are on there.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?ur...milton&x=0&y=0

Here is the David Eddings page.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?ur...ddings&x=0&y=0

Here is the Feist pages...

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?ur...=Feist&x=0&y=0

You can search by author, or title on Amazon Kindle books.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?ur...rds=&x=18&y=21
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 08:41 AM   #5
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Fictionwise (fictionwise.com) has all of the Reality Dysfunction series, plus a few others in MOBI format, which the Kindle reads. You'd probably want to remove the DRM (see elsewhere on this forum for pointers to how) to read them on your Kindle.
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2009, 09:51 AM   #6
Aloreth

Hi guys,

Thanks for the comments.

Sorry I should have said I am in the UK.

Desert Grandma - when I click on the link you gave me (for peter hamilton) it lists a couple of books that he has written but neither of the books that I mentioned are included. I'm guessing Amazon automatically filters the books available according to my IP? Has amazon made any official announcement regarding plans for the UK (does it lump UK into Europe?)

To be honest, i'm not very impressed overall. Is it true that the SONY doesnt restrict which e-store that I use to purchase books because if that is the case then i'll jump ship in a flash.

Is there a list of formats that the kindle reads that are avaialble from other stores?

Thanks for the advice and I apologise for my lack of knowledge. Whilst I am a massive book reader, I know very little about e-readers.

Mike
Old 12-25-2009, 11:07 AM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Sorry to hear you are limited in the UK, aloreth. I definitely understand your frustration.

I'm not quite understanding why, except copyright licenses are different in all countries......but you would think if they allowed one, they would allow all of a particular author.

Perhaps someone with a Sony in your area can answer your questions better......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 12:39 PM   #8
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Aloreth,

There are many other ebook vendors online that you can purchase ebooks froms, so you are not restricted to buying books only from Amazon. So you are not restricted to just Amazon.

There is a thread around here that lists many other places to get books from, I'll post the link in a sec.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 12:47 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem is that most eBook shops in the UK support ePub and the Kindle doesn't support ePub.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 05:04 PM   #10
Aloreth

Could someone post up a list of places I could buy books from in the UK? The Amazon store is beyond useless, I went through the latest 20 books I bought and I can't get any of them or anything by the same authors!
Old 12-30-2009, 11:24 PM   #11
jerrry94087
Enthusiast
jerrry94087 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Touch
I just learned about Kindle and it makes me frustrated that I can't borrow books from library onto Kindle (all in pdf and epub formats).

I can't understand why there is such limitation. Looks like besides buying books from Amazon there aren't many options at all. That keeps me from buying it.
jerrry94087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:00 AM   #12
mjmcleod
Connoisseur
mjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to behold

Device: Galaxy Tab
I've just ordered myself a K2 to replace my Cybook Opus, which is annoyingly crashy and has a variety of issues with rendering.

Not supporting ePub is a feature as far as I'm concerned, at least until a mainstream vendor starts shipping readers that can over-ride the publisher formatting choices without having to strip the DRM and modify the book.

As to ePub on the Kindle, if you can remove the DRM (which is quite possible) you can convert into whatever format you want with Calibre. My intention is to convert my collection of ePub books to Mobipocket. If one were willing to do the DRM-stripping step then one could buy ePub from anyone who'll sell it to you, convert, and load it on your Kindle.

That the K2 is significantly cheaper than the "cheap" models here in Australia is another bonus.
mjmcleod is offline   Reply With Quote