Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-27-2012, 07:41 AM   #1216
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
Thanks much for your Sony Tablet S re-review. Because of it, I bought the Tablet S and like it, though I don't really have the knowledge to compare it to any other 10" tablet.

I had followed your reviews closely and saw that at first you didn't like the Tablet S. Most other users' complaints were of a weak wi-fi (luckily, mine is very strong) and an easily-scratched screen (my Sony-refurubished one came with the Sony screen protector applied and an insert saying so, so they must be aware of this problem). I believe the SD slot is now integrated in the Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0.3) Android version--at least I see no separation in the apps I've used so far.

I also like the dock for easier charging (it easily drops in the dock, as opposed to a slight bit of difficulty putting on the bare connector), and the host USB dongle accessory, which has allowed me to connect an old folding USB keyboard. The Sony case is nice too, because it's fairly stiff, though it has no place to store anything else. Sony USA had the case and dock on sale, each for $10, so their purchase was a no-brainer.

Thanks again for sharing all your valuable info!
Hi,
glad to help. And great that you like your Sony tablet S.
I use mine mainly as a reader. I find the form factor extremely convenient. Way more convenient than the "sharp" curved edges of iPad for example.

I'm not perfectly fine with the screen. I've got Sony Tablet P for comparison. On tablet P, the black is extremely dark. Sony calls it "True Black", like with their TVs. On Sony tablet S, I find the colors have a slight yellow saturation. I've checked some other units in German Saturn Market. They all appear the same to me. But as always, this may be in the eye of the beholder.

Re. the SD card:
There seems to be a hack to use the SD card, by linking the OS from the USB memory to the SD card. Then App2SD should work. But out of the box, even after updating to ICS, there are 3 areas of memory: Internal storage, USB storage and SD card. I guess, they (same with Samsung Galaxy Note for example) separate the internal memory into "internal" and "USB", to reserve some room for crucial apps or something like that. But the -extremely annoying- side effect: All apps and internal commands linking to "SD" actually direct to the USB storage. Meaning: Still no App2SD (but App2USB, which is very limited) .
I can live with that, as I don't have many games on my tablet S and mainly use it for reading.
But would it be my sole tablet, I'd definitely run into storage problems.
What I don't understand: On Sony tablet P, it's working perfectly.
Here Sony even states in the specs "4GB". Actually it's 2 GB internally and another 2GB on the original MicroSD (I'm using 64GB now instead). I don't quite get the benefit of this separation into "internal" and "USB". But like I wrote before: Samsung Galaxy Note has the same, so it's not Sony-specific and seems to have some benefit...

I'm eagerly waiting for the Microsoft tablets now. I have the (outdated but still great) Fujitsu Stylistic ST6012. In some areas, no other tablet can compete with a Windows Slate. Yes: Screen rotation is slow, Windows 7 is a bit less convenient. But having a full blown file system and being able to operate Office or Newsleecher = priceless!

Last edited by mgmueller; 07-27-2012 at 07:44 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:22 PM   #1217
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post

Re. the SD card:
There seems to be a hack to use the SD card, by linking the OS from the USB memory to the SD card. Then App2SD should work. But out of the box, even after updating to ICS, there are 3 areas of memory: Internal storage, USB storage and SD card. I guess, they (same with Samsung Galaxy Note for example) separate the internal memory into "internal" and "USB", to reserve some room for crucial apps or something like that. But the -extremely annoying- side effect: All apps and internal commands linking to "SD" actually direct to the USB storage. Meaning: Still no App2SD (but App2USB, which is very limited) .
I can live with that, as I don't have many games on my tablet S and mainly use it for reading.
But would it be my sole tablet, I'd definitely run into storage problems.
What I don't understand: On Sony tablet P, it's working perfectly.
Here Sony even states in the specs "4GB". Actually it's 2 GB internally and another 2GB on the original MicroSD (I'm using 64GB now instead). I don't quite get the benefit of this separation into "internal" and "USB". But like I wrote before: Samsung Galaxy Note has the same, so it's not Sony-specific and seems to have some benefit...

I'm eagerly waiting for the Microsoft tablets now. I have the (outdated but still great) Fujitsu Stylistic ST6012. In some areas, no other tablet can compete with a Windows Slate. Yes: Screen rotation is slow, Windows 7 is a bit less convenient. But having a full blown file system and being able to operate Office or Newsleecher = priceless!
Thanks once again, this time for the SD card explanation. I had erroneously guessed it was integrated because it played the media on my external SD card, and because of this erroneous Amazon customer review, that says the SD card problem is "changed in 4.0".

Explorer shows ten storage locations:
- sdcard: like what would be called internal storage on a phone, totals to about 9 GB (3 GB used already) on my 16 GB Tablet S.
- sdcard2: the SD card I inserted
- usbdisk1, not accessible without rooting.
- usbdisk2, " " " "
- usbdisk8. " " " "
The storage allocated to the eight usbdisks might then total up to 7 GB (16 - 9).

Like you said, where we would expect to see a soft button for "Move to SD card", we see "Move to USB storage."

I should have paid more attention to your warning and gotten the 32 GB version. Though like you, I have other Android devices, so 16 GB might suffice if I'm careful. If I have to resort to shifting content around, then that seems easy enough, with (a) the two-way File Transfer app by Sony and a large capacity SD card(s), and (b) Tonido to wirelessly upload/download files to/from my running PC(s) anywhere there's wireless.

The Windows 8 tablets should be terrific, especially if they meld the features of the old Windows Tablet PCs into a sleek modern tablet. I have two old HP Windows Tablet PCs (XP and Vista), but never really got around to using them like I thought I would. These new tablets and their instant on, light weight, and long battery life, should fit most people's usage style much better.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2012, 07:41 PM   #1218
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
...I had erroneously guessed it was integrated because it played the media on my external SD card, and because of this erroneous Amazon customer review, that says the SD card problem is "changed in 4.0"...
I think, the Sony marketing policy about the SD issue leaves lots of room for improvement.
From what I understand, there actually has been some change in Android 4.0.
Before, from what I've read, you couldn't play media files directly from the SD card but had to copy them via the file transfer app to the internal storage.
To me, this wouldn't be acceptable. Then I don't need an SD card but could add via WiFi for example.
Now, in ICS, this seems to have changed. Now you can access media files directly from the SD card,
But still you can't use the SD card for storing your apps. Or at least for storing your content, for example from the great Zinio app which easily can add up to >10GB of magazines...
Anyway: Still a great tablet. But strange usage of the SD memory on Sony Tablet S and Samsung Galaxy Note, though...
Old 08-22-2012, 07:38 PM   #1219
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Sony S Tablet vs Galaxy Tab 8.9

I currently have the Sony S. It is just a little too big for travel - I'm a really fast reader so the 6 and 7 inch ones are too small - all I do it go to the next page, interrupting my reading. The Sony S is really nice for having a lot of text on it's screen, but the bezel is quite wide and I'm thinking something slightly smaller might be more convenient.

So, what do folks think - should I go looking for the Galaxy Tab 8.9?
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:09 AM   #1220
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
I currently have the Sony S. It is just a little too big for travel - I'm a really fast reader so the 6 and 7 inch ones are too small - all I do it go to the next page, interrupting my reading. The Sony S is really nice for having a lot of text on it's screen, but the bezel is quite wide and I'm thinking something slightly smaller might be more convenient.

So, what do folks think - should I go looking for the Galaxy Tab 8.9?
I'm totally biased here.
Frankly, I'm not a fan of the Samsung tablets (with the sole exception of Galaxy Note).
Whenever I start any of my Samsung Tablets, the SD card is checked for media content. This takes quite some time and is rather annoying. I haven't added a single file. So why does the tablet have to check again?
And I'm not a fan of the saturation on Samsung tablets. Some love the colors for being that vivid. I find them un-natural looking.
I know, it's not a hit. But personally, I really prefer Motorola Xoom 2 Media edition over any Samsung tablet.
Motorola Xoom 2 ME has phantastic speakers, is extremely well designed (whereas I usually find Samsung gadgets kind of "plasticky").
But again: I'm biased, I admit it...
Advert
Old 08-24-2012, 09:22 AM   #1221
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm totally biased here.
Frankly, I'm not a fan of the Samsung tablets (with the sole exception of Galaxy Note).
I really prefer Motorola Xoom 2 Media edition over any Samsung tablet.
Motorola Xoom 2 ME has phantastic speakers, is extremely well designed (whereas I usually find Samsung gadgets kind of "plasticky").
But again: I'm biased, I admit it...
Thanks, all comments are helpful. Currently I'm trying out the Archos G9 - a bit smaller, but the $149 price tag at my Staples store lets me try it for 14 days. Currently setting it up - already I don't like the fact that it doesn't connect directly to Calibre (but then neither does my Sony). I know it is supposed to have an easily cracked screen, but I'm hoping that the 8" vs the 10" will help with that.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:14 AM   #1222
mgmueller
Member Retired

Google Nexus 7"

Old news to most of you.
But for us in Germany, it's still a hot topic.
Google Nexus 7" can be ordered now (August 30th) from Google Play.
Ordered mine yesterday.
Google states, it will arrive in 3 to 5 days = ca. September 5th.
I already have quite a few Android tablets, so I don't expect any kind of "revolution". Still, it's directly promoted by Google and already comes with Jellybean. And for € 259 it's quite a catch...
Old 08-31-2012, 08:35 AM   #1223
peaceridge
Guru

Quote:
Thanks, all comments are helpful. Currently I'm trying out the Archos G9 - a bit smaller, but the $149 price tag at my Staples store lets me try it for 14 days. Currently setting it up - already I don't like the fact that it doesn't connect directly to Calibre (but then neither does my Sony). I know it is supposed to have an easily cracked screen, but I'm hoping that the 8" vs the 10" will help with that.

Well, it crashed 7 days after purchase (got in a loop in the fix menu and wouldn't go back to the reader no matter what menu item I chose - even chose reformat drive and it wouldn't restart). It was the best size I've ever had, but I'm afraid to try another Archos.

So, I'm looking at other 8" ones - right now the Galaxy Tab 7.7, but it is really pricey - why is it so much more expensive than even the 8.9 I don't know!
Old 08-31-2012, 10:23 AM   #1224
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Well, it crashed 7 days after purchase (got in a loop in the fix menu and wouldn't go back to the reader no matter what menu item I chose - even chose reformat drive and it wouldn't restart). It was the best size I've ever had, but I'm afraid to try another Archos.

So, I'm looking at other 8" ones - right now the Galaxy Tab 7.7, but it is really pricey - why is it so much more expensive than even the 8.9 I don't know!
Samsung is prohibited to sell the Tab 7.7 in Germany, so I can't tell from own experience.
But from what I remember, the Tab 7.7 was the first (only?) Samsung tablet with Super AMOLED or something like that, whereas the others (I think) have the "standard" IPS displays...
Old 08-31-2012, 02:51 PM   #1225
peaceridge
Guru

Quote:
Samsung is prohibited to sell the Tab 7.7 in Germany, so I can't tell from own experience.
But from what I remember, the Tab 7.7 was the first (only?) Samsung tablet with Super AMOLED or something like that, whereas the others (I think) have the "standard" IPS displays...
Well, that would answer my question. So if they can't sell in Germany, wonder if they can sell in S Korea - my son is often there for his work - maybe he can pick one up for me.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:40 PM   #1226
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Well, that would answer my question. So if they can't sell in Germany, wonder if they can sell in S Korea - my son is often there for his work - maybe he can pick one up for me.
I can't imagine (Samsung being THE Korean icon) any Samsung device could be prohibited in South Korea - ever.
But in the rest of the world, the momentary situation doesn't look too bright for Samsung. What a coincidence: An American judge in a town close to the Apple headquarter decided pro-Apple. Who would have expected this?
I really wouldn't dare, to opt for any party: Who stole from whom? But I really hate this patent-trolling. This really should be beneath Apple...
But I've read somewhere, Microsoft for example makes quite a fortune from their patents, even on Android (their theoretical competitor to Windows Mobile). So it seems to be too lucrative, to just let it be...
Old 09-01-2012, 06:23 AM   #1227
mgmueller
Member Retired

Google Nexus 7

It's here!
36 hours instead of 3 to 5 days.
Those Google guys are successful for a reason!
Old 09-01-2012, 12:09 PM   #1228
mgmueller
Member Retired

Google Nexus 7

I've got mine a few days earlier than expected.
I'm weeks behind the guys in the US, so only very briefly:
As expected, it's no revolution.
It's nice and stylish, about Samsung quality I'd say.
I slightly prefer the design of Motorola Xoom 2 Media Edition.
BUT: Xoom 2 ME was € 550, when I bought it only months ago. Google Nexus 7 is less than half. In Germany we use the phrase "Preis/Leistung". In English this means "Price/Performance ratio" or something like that. This certainly is phantastic for Nexus 7.
I easily can imagine, that Google makes a loss on the hardware. Obviously puts a lot of pressure on sole hardware manufacturers such as Motorola, Sony or Samsung. I guess, eventually Amazon and Google will muscle out most of the other Android manufacturers...

Why did I go for it?
Motorola Xoom 2 ME in Germany didn't even receive the ICS update yet.
I'm not interested in Googling and flashing and stuff anymore. I don't want to spend any time with such experiments anymore.
Google Nexus 7 obviously comes with Jellybean already. And you can expect frequent updates for the Google-owned device, I guess.
I really don't understand, how corporates such as Motorola or Nokia, and to some extent even Samsung or Sony, can be that lazy, slow and negligent of customer's demands...

Last edited by mgmueller; 09-01-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #1229
anthony_barker
anthony_barker began at the beginning.

Device: PB360, nokia n900
Nexus 7

I've had mine for a month. Currently it is my favorite reader although I don't like not having and microSD card

- good size
- good screen
- decent battery
- full access (Android), use the ebook software you want (fbreader)
- Speaker is pretty good (not up to Xoom or nokia n800)
- use ES explorer software to manage my books

for me at $200 is hit the sweet spot of good enough
anthony_barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:56 PM   #1230
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony_barker View Post
I've had mine for a month. Currently it is my favorite reader although I don't like not having and microSD card

- good size
- good screen
- decent battery
- full access (Android), use the ebook software you want (fbreader)
- Speaker is pretty good (not up to Xoom or nokia n800)
- use ES explorer software to manage my books

for me at $200 is hit the sweet spot of good enough
I like the Nexus 7 as well.
Before, BlackBerry PlayBook was one of my favorite tablets for reading. iPad and the likes I find way too heavy for extended reading sessions >2 or 3 hours.
Nexus 7 even is a bit lighter than PlayBook. And of course there are way more apps on Android than on BlackBerry. (I've transferred a few Android apps to PlayBook and it works good enough, but I don't like the hassle).
Some reviews state, the display of Nexus 7 isn't that good. Honestly, I haven't really compared yet. It may be less vibrant than iPad's or PlayBook's display, but it certainly is good enough for reading and browsing the web.
The battery could have a higher capacity, I have to charge every single day.
Still: For this price, it's absolutely phantastic.
And of course Jellybean 4.1.1 with "Google Now" is another step forward. And as long as iOS doesn't offer alternative keyboards (such as Swype for example), I prefer Android tablets over my iPad 3 anytime...

Tags
comparing, comparison, features, readers, test