Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-02-2008, 07:26 AM   #1
carpii
Enthusiast
carpii began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad or Sony
Problems accessing sdcard from calibre (and linux)

I just got my Sony PRS-505 earlier today, and had calibre ready set up for it.

I formatted a 16G SD card as FAT32, and put it in the reader.
Unfortunately when I try to use Calibre's Send to Storage command, it fails with an error suggesting the reader has no storage card installed.

In addition, 'mount' shows the Sony Internal Memory, but no entry for Sony SDCard which Id expect to see

This seg faults...

> prs500 info

Device name: PRS505
Device version:
Software version:
Mime type:
/usr/bin/prs500: line 6: 12521 Segmentation fault ./prs500 "$@"

Also I downloaded the BBC News feed and tried the 'Send to Internal Memory' feature of calibre. This appears to work, but when I try to read the BBC book on the Sony, it takes says formatting for a while and then goes blank. The next thing I see is it booting up again (this happens even if the SDCard isnt inserted).

Im not sure what else to try. I dont really think its a calibre problem as such, but the seg-fault and BBC reboot is an issue surely?

Thanks
carpii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:37 AM   #2
carpii
Enthusiast
carpii began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad or Sony
Here is the output from "strace prs500 info" if it helps....

PHP Code:
rt_sigaction(SIGINT, {0x807f1b0, [], 0}, {SIG_DFL}, 8) = 0
waitpid
(-1Device name:      PRS505
Device version
:
Software version:
Mime type:
[{
WIFSIGNALED(s) && WTERMSIG(s) == SIGSEGV}], 0) = 12657
open
("/usr/share/locale/en_GB.UTF-8/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo"O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/share/locale/en_GB.utf8/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo"O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/share/locale/en_GB/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo"O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/share/locale/en.UTF-8/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo"O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/share/locale/en.utf8/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo"O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/share/locale/en/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo"O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/share/locale-langpack/en_GB.UTF-8/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo"O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/share/locale-langpack/en_GB.utf8/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo"O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/share/locale-langpack/en_GB/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo"O_RDONLY) = 3
fstat64
(3, {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644st_size=1730, ...}) = 0
mmap2
(NULL1730PROT_READMAP_PRIVATE30) = 0xb7c9b000
close
(3)                                = 0
open
("/usr/share/locale-langpack/en.UTF-8/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo"O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/share/locale-langpack/en.utf8/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo"O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/share/locale-langpack/en/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo"O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
write(2"/usr/bin/prs500: line 6: 12657 S"..., 69/usr/bin/prs500line 612657 Segmentation fault      ./prs500 "$@"
) = 69
rt_sigprocmask
(SIG_SETMASK, [], NULL8) = 0
--- SIGCHLD (Child exited) @ (0) ---
waitpid(-10xbffa3dc8WNOHANG)        = -1 ECHILD (No child processes)
sigreturn()                             = ? (mask now [])
rt_sigaction(SIGINT, {SIG_DFL}, {0x807f1b0, [], 0}, 8) = 0
rt_sigprocmask
(SIG_BLOCKNULL, [], 8)  = 0
read
(255""140)                      = 0
exit_group
(139)                         = ?
Process 12655 detached 
carpii is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2008, 02:09 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The segfault is an artifact of the freezing process to create the binaries and can be ignored. The prs500 only supports upto 2GB SD cards. Read http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/user_m...eader-to-reset
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 03:51 AM   #4
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The segfault is an artifact of the freezing process to create the binaries and can be ignored. The prs500 only supports upto 2GB SD cards. Read http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/user_m...eader-to-reset
The 505 (which the OP says he has) will read SHDC cards as long as he has the ePub/DE-enabled firmware installed. It was a nice present from Sony. My first suggestion is to make sure your Reader can read an ePub file. If not, you need to upgrade the firmware before ePub and SDHC cards will work.

In my case, I've been using a 16GB SHDC card with my 505 without incident. Calibre has been seeing it as well. It seems to ignore the second memory card if I have 2 plugged into the reader though.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:09 AM   #5
Diogene
Banned
Diogene doesn't litterDiogene doesn't litter

Device: BeBook
Did you modify this file: /etc/fstab
I have a BeBook and added these two lines inside that fstab file:
/dev/sde /mnt/BeBookSD vfat users,auto,exec 0 0
/dev/sdf /mnt/BeBookIn vfat users,auto,exec 0 0
I also created two new directories inside /mnt/, named BeBookSD and BeBookIn
You may also have to type this in a console: mount /dev/sde
or:
mount /dev/sdf
Diogene is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2010, 07:25 PM   #6
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
The 505 (which the OP says he has) will read SHDC cards as long as he has the ePub/DE-enabled firmware installed. It was a nice present from Sony. My first suggestion is to make sure your Reader can read an ePub file. If not, you need to upgrade the firmware before ePub and SDHC cards will work.

In my case, I've been using a 16GB SHDC card with my 505 without incident. Calibre has been seeing it as well. It seems to ignore the second memory card if I have 2 plugged into the reader though.

I just got an Sony memory stick pro duo 8gb, I already had a SDHC 8gb card which is almost full. Now that I put the new stick in Calibre only sees the new new, not the SDHC card.

What the heck? This is an PRS-505 Calibre 0.5.14.

Should I just go ahead an load up and hope when I unplug from the computer I will be able to read off this new stick? This is a major bummer.

Last edited by new; 03-09-2010 at 07:27 PM.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:16 PM   #7
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
The 505 has no problem handling both memory sticks at the same time.

Calibre (when I posted that message, at least) has issues with more than one storage card in the device, and will only see one at a time.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:55 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre no longer has those issues.

@new: Click Preferences->advanced->debug device detection and post the output (with your reader connected)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:48 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
What the heck? This is an PRS-505 Calibre 0.5.14.
Quote:

@new: Click Preferences->advanced->debug device detection and post the output (with your reader connected)
He is using Calibre 0.5.14 does that make a difference?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:49 PM   #10
new
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I have 0.5.14 is that version no longer having those issues? Mine does. I already unplugged the reader. When I transfer more books I will try what you said. Thanks.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:53 PM   #11
new

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
He is using Calibre 0.5.14 does that make a difference?
We must have been typing at the same time, LOL. I just posted repeating that.

I don't want to upgrade, last two times I did it screwed up my library. So if this is the way it is guess I will have to suck it up. LOL.

It is a shame because I now have 16GB and was planning on really organizing my collection; but I can't see the 8GB storage. Boo hoo.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:03 PM   #12
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
I don't want to upgrade, last two times I did it screwed up my library.
What did it do to screw it up? I've upgraded every minor release without a problem.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:24 PM   #13
new

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
What did it do to screw it up? I've upgraded every minor release without a problem.
My library disappeared, after the upgrade my library was empty. I did as someone said to do to import (or whatever the step was) and it just didn't work. I can't remember.

What steps do you take? I really do want to see both of my cards. Will the latest one work? Also I make my print larger and the options were not the same in the new versions. I just couldn't figure it out.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:40 PM   #14
new

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Old 03-11-2010, 01:53 PM   #15
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I too have upgraded several times and no problem. But I always reboot after the upgrade (even if not required). That solved my problems.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote