Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-20-2013, 06:29 PM   #31
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SampleAndy View Post
So I guess I shouldn't hold my breath waiting for the Doom port?

After reading 14 pages, I was really disappointed to see it just end. I wanted to see what kind of sound you wizards could get out of an eInk screen.
prboom. is built. I have it right here.

The main issues are simple: Dither and controls.
Happy to work on it with someone.

Facts are simple: Lots of projects, not enough developers, and in my case not enough skill.

Midori is another project that sits in waiting.

Will revisit. Both.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #32
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
K5-390

I did a bit more playing around, and it looks like we might have to sysgen a K5 specific build of the MVS/390 OS.

Not impossible, we now have an S-390 system to do it on (and the directions - duh).

Since my desktop workstation has more spare cycles than any of my K5- touch or paperwhites . . . .

The mvs iso ./setup thing expects Hecules and n3270 to already be installed.

On Debian/Ubuntu based distros - the command:
Code:
sudo apt-get install hercules* libdjconsole* x3270
Takes care of that dependency.

EDIT - For Windows:
For our Windows audience, that will need to run the x3270 terminal emulation under windows, you can get the binaries here:
http://x3270.bgp.nu/download.html

That will also install an example config file for Herc in:
Code:
/usr/share/doc/hercules/examples/hercules.cnf.gz
Just copy it and gunzip it into a convenient place:
I picked:
Code:
cp -a /usr/share/doc/hercules/examples/hercules.cnf.gz /var2/kwork/mvs38j/conf/
gunzip hercules.cnf.gz
for its home, your path will be to suit yourself.

Now, in a terminal window, start the mainframe and specify the location of the config file:
Code:
hercules -f /var2/kwork/mvs38j/conf/hercules.cnf
The Debian/Ubuntu build of Herc is listening on localhost, so ....

Now, in another terminal window, start a copy of x3270:
Code:
x3270 localhost:3270
Now you have the **Master** operator's console running (and you didn't even have to pull any twin-ax cables).

Since Herc uses TCP/IP networking instead of tons of special cabling, and supports up to 32 'user' terminals . . . .

Perhaps we should try to port the x3270 application (sources on the mvs iso image) to the K5 - -
Let the kindle's screen be the 'standard' **Master** operator's console - for broken screen Kindles - a tcp/ip connected **Master** console could be substituted.

Note: Hercules will run in 'daemon' mode, as a 'service' on broken screen Kindles.
It also supports multiple access DASD devices - more than one Kindle can share the 'disk drives' (which are files under Linux).

OK - so that answers one of the FAQs on this forum - what to do with a broken screen Kindle (touch or paperwhite).
You 'wire' them up as a cluster of S-390 machines.

This approach (using a 'standard' Hercules install on the desktop as a learning experience) seems like the most likely way to make progress on getting MVS onto the K5.

Note: the 'standard' Hercules install only requests 64Mbyte of ram - right under the "low memory" warning limit on the K5.

- - - -
To get out of the emulator, enter: exit at the command prompt in the herc window.

exit
Enough for today - more, perhaps, if someone takes an interest in this little project.

Last edited by knc1; 08-21-2013 at 09:33 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2013, 07:15 PM   #33
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@knc I'll KUALise x3270 then too..

Hmm...

Have to be the curses version.

[root@kindle hercules]# cd /mnt/us/extensions/hercules/; LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/mnt/us
/extensions/hercules/lib/hercules:/mnt/us/extensions/hercules/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PA
TH /mnt/us/extensions/hercules/bin/c3270

c3270 v3.3.10ga4 Sun Apr 17 20:27:30 UTC 2011 buildd

Quote:
Copyright 1989-2009 by Paul Mattes, GTRC and others.
Type 'show copyright' for full copyright information.
Type 'help' for help information.

c3270> help
help all all commands
help 3270 3270 commands
help interactive interactive (command-prompt) commands
help <command> help for one <command>
help options command-line options
help scripting scripting commands
help file-transfer file transfer options

c3270>
That okay for the job?

Last edited by twobob; 08-20-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:51 PM   #34
twobob

got you.

So... I'll make some more buttons.

START Mainframe (Background)

STOP Mainframe

START Op Console

Quote:
HHCTE009I Client 127.0.0.1 connected to 3270 device 0:001F

Manual page for c3270
http://x3270.bgp.nu/c3270-man.html

(CNTRL + ] to switch modes for example)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_546.png
Views:	421
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	109686  

Last edited by twobob; 08-20-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:09 PM   #35
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm...
Maybe a minor tweak to the Hercules welcome message text?
"My Kindle thinks its a Mainframe" ??
Advert
Old 08-20-2013, 10:45 PM   #36
twobob

Perhaps I may look at porting JASON one day in the dim and distant...

http://www.ollydbg.de/Jason/index.htm
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Selection_547.png
Views:	331
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	109692  
Old 08-20-2013, 11:26 PM   #37
twobob

Version 0.2 Upped. With client. Relevant tweaks in .cnf file. Eips output.

Other bits and bats.

EDIT: Like new buttons and automatically starting the server in the background with a fronted client.

Last edited by twobob; 08-21-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:33 PM   #38
knc1
Going Viral

K5-370

Well, read and learn.
We need to be running the S/370 hardware (twobob already fixed the config file in the post attachment above).

Then:
We should install (and run) VM/370 release 6

Which, can then run one or more instances of both MVS and DOS and even throw in an instance of a Linux/S-360 distribution.

(VM/370 was a landmark OS - the "VirtualBox" of the mainframe world. And it runs in 16Mbyte of ram. These are '70s operating systems, where "RAM" was hand sown cores per bit.)

Since the Kindle only has a "single window (at a time)" display system, and Hercules uses TCP/IP to 'talk' to its multiple consoles devices - -
We will have to play around a bit with the Kindle networking stuff.

More, tomorrow, unless we lose interest.
or I get lost in the choices: http://www.smrcc.org.uk/members/g4ugm/VM370.htm

well if it can be done on a Raspberry PI, then we will do it on a Kindle!
http://www.rpural.net/hercules_vm370

Last edited by knc1; 08-20-2013 at 11:47 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:35 AM   #39
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
Funny, I was thinking of trying a PDP-11 emulator like SIMH:
http://home.earthlink.net/~n1be/pdp11/PDP11.html

also it was done on the PI:
http://bobstories.net/?p=154

Just because? Maybe I'll just read a book instead (that IS what I bought it for, right?)

Enjoy your kindle mainframe!
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:58 AM   #40
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianinmaine View Post
Funny, I was thinking of trying a PDP-11 emulator like SIMH:
http://home.earthlink.net/~n1be/pdp11/PDP11.html

also it was done on the PI:
http://bobstories.net/?p=154

Just because? Maybe I'll just read a book instead (that IS what I bought it for, right?)

Enjoy your kindle mainframe!
Well, SIMH can emulate a fair number of different early machines.
I have used it myself to run some DataGeneral code from an earlier lifetime.

In fact we mentioned it in passing when talking about running some of the 'historic' games usually available on the DEC systems.

But this one seemed more fun to do.
We do, do these things for the fun of it.

That had better be our reason anyway -
We aren't going to win any "most downloaded" set of KUAL buttons for this one!
Running VM/370 on a Kindle at the press of a button?
There must be some bragging rights in that one, at least.

Last edited by knc1; 08-21-2013 at 07:05 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:36 AM   #41
knc1
Going Viral

K5/370 - Day two

The image attached to:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=36
shows our very basic setup, the cpu with its hardware console, one 3270 Master operator's console and a bookshelf of reference manuals.
That nice "firm wood" bookcase is being emulated by documents posted on the Internet.

Referencing the image attached to:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=12
shows the system that we would like to install on the K5 devices.

After purchasing the optional, extra cost, swivel chair, the sysop would roll up to the cpu hardware console;
Open the access door in the pedestal, insert the 8 inch floppy disk, and start the micro-code upload to the main cpu.

With the current (day 1) version of this project, our K5/370 version of that is shown in the images attached to:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...73&postcount=2
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=22
which show the "micro-code load and start-up" at the cpu's hardware console.

The pictured IBM/370 system used (a lot) of special cabling between devices.
The K5/370 system uses TCP/IP networking in replacement for the physical cabling.

In the IBM/370 system, the Master operator's console would have been physically cabled before anything was powered on.
But in the K5/370 system, we have to 'attach by networking' the Master operator's console to the cpu hardware.

The image attached to:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=34
Shows our Master operator's console powered up and attached to the cpu hardware.

The Hercules emulator has a configuration file which is the details of all the equipment that is part of our K5/370.
One of the end goals of system K5/370 is to use the Wifi connection to the Kindle;
BUT . . . .
In that sub-system of the Kindle, the Kindle's IP address is dynamically assigned.
So for day 2, the config file will be set-up to use the USBnetworking sub-system of the Kindle, with it's static IP address.

If this was running on a desktop system, with a SCSI controller, Hercules could use the actual, physical, external SCSI devices.
But Amazon/lab126 did not include a SCSI controller in the Kindles.

So in the system K5/370, the physical storage devices are represented as 'image files' located in the user accessible USB storage area.

In the IBM/370 system, the sysop would have run around the room, physically installing the required disk packs in the removable pack disk drives.
In system K5/370, we **JUST** have to drop the image files into an appropriate place in the USB storage area and then in the Hercules configure file define which files are what hardware devices.

The first (system bootstrap) was typically device 150 (or there abouts).
To IPL (Initial Program Load) the system, all that would be needed would be to issue (from the hardware console) a "reset and start" command sequence to device 140.
For a disk drive, this would start reading the platter at track 0, head 0, sector 0. Whatever was there, was what you where about to run, like it or not.

These systems could also be IPL'd from the magnetic tape drive, paper tape drive, punched card reader, grandma's flower pot, etc.
Anything with a device address.

But the 'Initial' program we want to load is VM/370 (the 'virtualbox' system of the mainframe world).
And that resides on (in) disk image files.

Notes:
VM/370 will also run on a K5/390 (or IBM/390) but the Kindles are a single core ARM processor.
There is no reason (at the moment) to be using it to emulate anything more advanced than a K5/370.

The public domain compilers are all IBM/360 (and VM/370 will run system 360 code) so the first shipped system will be K5/370.

Which starts Day-2 of the project.
Tweaking the config file (a whole lot).

And a link to be remembered: http://mvs380.sourceforge.net/
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	killall_tux.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	109711  

Last edited by knc1; 08-21-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:09 PM   #42
knc1
Going Viral

K5/370 - Day two, continued

After fixing some typos in the configuration file included in the vm370sixpack archive (under Ubuntu):
Code:
core2quad vm370sixpack $ sudo hercules -f sixpack.conf
[sudo] password for mszick: 
pam_mount(pam_mount.c:364): pam_mount 2.10: entering auth stage
Hercules Version 3.07
(c)Copyright 1999-2010 by Roger Bowler, Jan Jaeger, and others
Built on Jun 19 2011 at 04:13:05
Build information:
  Debian
  Modes: S/370 ESA/390 z/Arch
  Max CPU Engines: 8
  Using setresuid() for setting privileges
  Dynamic loading support
  Using shared libraries
  HTTP Server support
  Regular Expressions support
  Automatic Operator support
  National Language Support
  Machine dependent assists: cmpxchg1 cmpxchg4 cmpxchg8 fetch_dw store_dw multi_byte
Running on core2quad Linux-3.0.0-32-generic.#51-Ubuntu SMP Thu Mar 21 15:51:26 UTC 2013 i686 MP=4
HHCHD018I Loadable module directory is /usr/lib/hercules
Crypto module loaded (c) Copyright Bernard van der Helm, 2003-2010
  Active: Message Security Assist
          Message Security Assist Extension 1
          Message Security Assist Extension 2
HHCCF065I Hercules: tid=B76D68D0, pid=5079, pgid=5078, priority=8
HHCTE001I Console connection thread started: tid=B738BB70, pid=5079
HHCTE003I Waiting for console connection on port 3270
HHCDA004I opening Disks/vm3350-1.141.cckd readonly
HHCDA020I Disks/vm3350-1.141.cckd cyls=555 heads=30 tracks=16650 trklen=19456
HHCDA004I opening Disks/vm3350-2.241.cckd readonly
HHCDA020I Disks/vm3350-2.241.cckd cyls=555 heads=30 tracks=16650 trklen=19456
HHCDA004I opening Disks/vm3350-3.34f.cckd readonly
HHCDA020I Disks/vm3350-3.34f.cckd cyls=555 heads=30 tracks=16650 trklen=19456
HHCDA004I opening Disks/vm3350-4.440.cckd readonly
HHCDA020I Disks/vm3350-4.440.cckd cyls=555 heads=30 tracks=16650 trklen=19456
HHCDA004I opening Disks/vm3350-5.540.cckd readonly
HHCDA020I Disks/vm3350-5.540.cckd cyls=555 heads=30 tracks=16650 trklen=19456
HHCDA004I opening Disks/vm3350-6.6f0.cckd readonly
HHCDA020I Disks/vm3350-6.6f0.cckd cyls=555 heads=30 tracks=16650 trklen=19456
HHCCP002I CPU0000 thread started: tid=B5AFCB70, pid=5079, priority=0
HHCTT002I Timer thread started: tid=B59FBB70, pid=5079, priority=-20
HHCCP003I CPU0000 architecture mode S/370

HHCCD002I Writer thread 2 started: tid=B4F62B70, pid=5079                                                                        +
HHCCD003I Garbage collector thread started: tid=B4E61B70, pid=5079                                                                
15:50:33 AUTO LOGON   ***   OPERATOR USERS = 001  BY SYSTEM                                                                      

DMKCPI957I Storage size = 16384 K,   Nucleus = 316 K,                                                                             
           Dynamic Paging = 14808 K, Trace Table = 240 K,                                                                         
           Free Storage = 1020 K,    Virtual=Real = 00000 K                                                                       

15:50:33 FILES: 002 RDR,  NO PRT,  NO PUN                                                                                         
15:50:33 MONITOR AUTO STARTING                                                                                                    
15:50:33 AUTO LOGON   ***   AUTOLOG1 USERS = 002  BY  OPERATOR                                                                    

DMKCPI966I Initialization complete                                                                                                

15:50:33 AUTO LOGON   ***   CPWATCH  USERS = 003  BY  AUTOLOG1                                                                    
15:50:34 RDR  00C DRAINED   SYSTEM                                                                                                
15:50:34 PUN  00D DRAINED   SYSTEM   CLASS = P      SEP                                                                           
15:50:34 PRT  00E DRAINED   SYSTEM   CLASS = A      SEP                                                                           
15:50:34 PRT  00F DRAINED   SYSTEM   CLASS = D      SEP                                                                           
15:50:34 AUTO LOGON   ***   CMSBATCH USERS = 004  BY  AUTOLOG1                                                                    
15:50:34                                                                                                                          
  WNG FROM AUTOLOG1:  AUTOLOG1 DONE - LOGGING OFF                                                                                 
15:50:34 USER DSC LOGOFF AS AUTOLOG1 USERS = 003                                                                                  
HHCPN012I Resuming SCRIPT file processing...                                                                                      
/(0009) enable all                                                                                                                
HHCPN013I EOF reached on SCRIPT file. Processing complete.                                                                        
15:50:37                                                                                                                          
15:50:37 COMMAND COMPLETE                                                                                                         
Command ==>
And then:
Code:
Command ==> /shutdown
/(0009) shutdown                                                                                                                  
15:57:52                                                                                                                          
15:57:52 SPOOL FILE 1131 SENT TO MAINT                                                                                            

DMKCKP960I System WARM START data saved                                                                                           

DMKCKP961W System Shutdown Complete                                                                                               

HHCCP011I CPU0000: Disabled wait state                                                                                            
          PSW=000A0000 00000008                                                                                                   
Command ==> quit
HHCIN900I Begin Hercules shutdown
HHCIN901I Releasing configuration
HHCAO002I Hercules Automatic Operator thread ended
HHCCP008I CPU0000 thread ended: tid=B5AFCB70, pid=5079
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0000 detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0001 detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0002 detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0003 detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0004 detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0005 detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0006 detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0007 detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0008 detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0009 detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:000A detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:000B detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:000C detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:000D detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:000E detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:000F detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0010 detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0011 detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0012 detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0013 detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0014 detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0015 detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0016 detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0017 detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0018 detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0019 detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:001A detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:001B detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:001C detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:001D detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:001E detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:001F detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0020 detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0021 detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0022 detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0023 detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0024 detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0025 detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0026 detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0027 detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0028 detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0029 detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:002A detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:002B detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:002C detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:002D detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:002E detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:002F detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0030 detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0031 detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0032 detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0033 detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0034 detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0035 detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0036 detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0037 detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0038 detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0039 detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:003A detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:003B detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:003C detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:003D detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:003E detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:003F detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0040 detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0041 detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0042 detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0043 detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0044 detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0045 detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0046 detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0047 detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0048 detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0049 detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:004A detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:004B detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:004C detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:004D detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:004E detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:004F detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0050 detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0051 detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0052 detached
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0053 detached
HHCTE004I Console connection thread terminated
HHCCD210I           size free  nbr st   reads  writes l2reads    hits switches
HHCCD211I                                                  readaheads   misses
HHCCD212I --------------------------------------------------------------------
HHCCD213I [*]   25970962   7% 1355        316     511      16     593      836
HHCCD214I                                                          73        7
HHCCD215I Disks/vm3350-1.141.cckd
HHCCD216I [0]   25921290   7% 1353 ro     250       0      12
HHCCD217I Disks/Shadows/vm3350-1*
HHCCD218I [1]      49672  10%    2         66     511       4
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0054 detached
HHCCD213I [*]   28130578   2%  226         61      10       5      32       83
HHCCD214I                                                          10        7
HHCCD215I Disks/vm3350-2.241.cckd
HHCCD216I [0]   28118239   2%  226 ro      60       0       4
HHCCD217I Disks/Shadows/vm3350-2*
HHCCD218I [1]      12339   0%    0          1      10       1
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0055 detached
HHCCD213I [*]   11887229   4% 1307          9      26       5       9       15
HHCCD214I                                                           3        0
HHCCD215I Disks/vm3350-3.34f.cckd
HHCCD216I [0]   11861542   4% 1306 ro       4       0       3
HHCTT003I Timer thread ended
HHCCD217I Disks/Shadows/vm3350-3*
HHCCD218I [1]      25687  13%    1          5      26       2
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0056 detached
HHCCD213I [*]   16670313   4%  723          2       0       2       0        2
HHCCD215I Disks/vm3350-4.440.cckd
HHCCD216I [0]   16669025   4%  723 ro       2       0       2
HHCCD217I Disks/Shadows/vm3350-4*
HHCCD218I [1]       1288   0%    0          0       0       0
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0057 detached
HHCCD213I [*]   26845819   1%  381          1       0       1       0        1
HHCCD215I Disks/vm3350-5.540.cckd
HHCCD216I [0]   26844531   1%  381 ro       1       0       1
HHCCD217I Disks/Shadows/vm3350-5*
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0058 detached
HHCCD213I [*]    6602851   0%   32          1       0       1       0        1
HHCCD215I Disks/vm3350-6.6f0.cckd
HHCCD216I [0]    6601563   0%   32 ro       1       0       1
HHCCD217I Disks/Shadows/vm3350-6*
HHCCD011I Readahead thread 2 stopping: tid=B5366B70, pid=5079
HHCCD011I Readahead thread 1 stopping: tid=B5467B70, pid=5079
HHCCD013I Garbage collector thread stopping: tid=B4E61B70, pid=5079
HHCCD012I Writer thread 1 stopping: tid=B5063B70, pid=5079
HHCCD012I Writer thread 2 stopping: tid=B4F62B70, pid=5079
HHCCF047I Subchannel 0:0059 detached
HHCIN902I Configuration release complete
HHCIN903I Calling termination routines
HHCHD900I Begin shutdown sequence
HHCHD901I Calling panel_cleanup
HHCHD902I logger_term complete
HHCHD909I Shutdown sequence complete
HHCIN904I All termination routines complete
HHCIN909I Hercules shutdown complete
HHCIN099I Hercules terminated
HHCHD900I Begin shutdown sequence
HHCHD909I Shutdown sequence complete
Whoot!
VM/370R6 on Ubuntu -

Next:
Do some more tweaking of the configuration file to make it do the same on a K5/370.

One problem on the horizon:
These disk pack images are too large to attach to a post here, even compressed.
Duh....
Old 08-21-2013, 12:28 PM   #43
twobob

nice work!

I'll have to read through that!
Old 08-21-2013, 12:55 PM   #44
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
nice work!

I'll have to read through that!
There are only two lines of any real interest -
The "HowTo" get out of it:

At the Hercules hardware console, first shutdown VM/370 by entering at the prompt:
/shutdown

And then shutdown the Hercules emulator itself by entering at the prompt:
quit

- - - -

This VM/370 configuration file has the loading of the MVS-3.8 operating system as the 'first' guest OS commented out.

I think I will try running that (MVS) under VM/370

- - - -

Hey, if a person is certain to drown, they might as well jump into the deep end of the pool.

PS: It would probably be more practical on a Kindle to run MVS-3.8 on the bare K5/390 hardware (64Mbyte of ram in the K5/390 rather than the maximum of 16Mbyte of ram in the K5/370).
Plus = all of those cpu cycles saved by not running VM/370 just to host a single operating system.

PPS: The emulator reported that it had execute about 58 million instructions to IPL VM/370.

But those comment characters are there to be removed, so . . . .

Last edited by knc1; 08-21-2013 at 01:01 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:28 AM   #45
knc1
Going Viral

K5/370 - Day three

Quote:
The VM/370 configuration file has the loading of the MVS-3.8 operating system as the 'first' guest OS commented out.
I think I will try running that (MVS) under VM/370

- - - -

Hey, if a person is certain to drown, they might as well jump into the deep end of the pool.

It would probably be more practical on a Kindle to run MVS-3.8 on the bare K5/390 hardware (64Mbyte of ram in the K5/390 rather than the maximum of 16Mbyte of ram in the K5/370).
Plus - all of those cpu cycles saved by not running VM/370 just to host a single operating system.

PPS: The emulator reported that it had execute about 58 million instructions to IPL VM/370.

But those comment characters are there to be removed, so . . . .
Well, 'day two' has slopped over into 'day three' here.

Got a bit sidetracked with the KUAL/1130 -
Which could use some polish, but will leave that to Pop (someone who knows something about the machine and software).

So, getting back on the horse that threw me yesterday . . .

And while twobob recovers from the poor dithering of Win-95 running on a Kindle . . .

Will do some more of Hercules configuration files, see if I can get MVS release 3.8j up and running.

Note: Release 3.8j is the last public domain release of the operating system, but it is not dead, not even now.
Its new name is z/OS and our K5/390 **should** run it, if you have it and have a license to use it.

- - - -

I did a google search for something on this subject yesterday and in the list of 'related images' found my avatar as #3 in the sample display.

Last edited by knc1; 08-22-2013 at 10:47 AM.

Tags
launcher add-ons